1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

?DVD2one's compression quality?

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by klemperal, May 17, 2007.

1. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Well, I went back and read a number of "Shrink vs. DVD2one" threads here and on CDfreaks. The problem was that all these threads were pretty old using older versions of shrink and DVD2one for comparisons. Since DVD2one is still being updated, how would you say the compression quality matches up to shrink--or any other compressor for that matter. Also is there a certain "rule of thumb" for this program i.e. don't use for more then 20% compression?

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

While those guides are outdated or not I think you will still find that most people prefer DVD Shrink to DVD2One. If you are looking for an updated version of DVD Shrink you can look to Recode...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/Nero-Recode.shtml

...it would be the current version of DVD Shrink if there was one. Mr. Shrink went to work for Nero after years of developing his excellent freeware DVD compression tool.

Compensation for high levels of compression can be dealt with using Deep Analysis and DVD Shrink AEC controls.

99.9 - 90% = Maximum Sharp
    89 - 80% = Sharp
    79 - 65% = Smooth
    < 64% = Maximum Smooth

If the results still aren't up to snuff there is always DVD Rebuilder which will output a quality that DVD Shrink and all the others can't touch. The downside is the time...it takes up to 6X longer to encode with DVD-RB because it actually rebuilds the video structure from the ground up.

3. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

well, well, well. coinsidence or what? just for the hell of it i just(5/19)backed up "Alpha dog" whole disc with both softwares, shrink and dvd20ne v.212, the latest version. the disc had a compression level of 59%(41% actual compression). As i said i did two copies and i see no difference in my 35 inches sony TV. The only difference was in the time it took to compress the movie, shrink took about one hour with deep analisys and AEC. dvd2one took about twenty minutes, as i said, i see no differece between the two.

4. ebega

ebega Regular member

You can also look at the link in my sig for reference to various encoders and transcoders (including shrink and DVD2one)

5. LOCOENG

@ebega

Excellent thread in your comparison of encoders and transcoders. As always pictures don't lie. I have bookmarked for future reference. Consider this another thanks for your time and efforts in a great display of these programs capabilities and shortcomings.

6. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

I agree, very nice picture comparison. Is there any chance you have, or know of, an actual video comparison? In my opinion thats the only way to really tell with compression.

7. ebega

ebega Regular member

Thanks for the kind words guys, truley appreciated. As far as video comparison, I don't know of any, the only way I could think of doing something like this would be to host the vob files somewhere and one would have to download them and play them to see the differences.

8. LOCOENG

You could always do the comparison yourself and put all the peices back together using DVD Shrink and burn it to one DVD.