1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2SVCD won't load my avi file and VBR question

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Ran11, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Ran11

Ran11 Member

DVD2VCD won't load my AVI file. I get a message saying that it cannot find the xvid decompressor. Also, it won't let me activate the "Convert divx3 to divx4" option.

I am also experiencing another problem: whenever I have tried to multiplex my SVCD mpeg file in TMPEGenc in order to make it compatible with a VCD-only compatible desktop DVD the sound ends up out-of-sync with the image.

I seem to have read a post that suggests one use the VBR 2 or 3 pass option instead of the CBR -which was what I used to create the aforementioned file. I also understand that CCE is a better encoder for that. I followed the instructions in the http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59489 thread and couldn't get past my first question here.

Any help from you here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Open DVD2SVCD and go to the Misc. tab folder. There you'll find the option to convert divx3 to divx4. Down below in the misc. tab folder chose AVI then go to the conversion tab folder and load the avi you wan't to convert to svcd.If your using TMPEnc, then you wan't to choose 2-pass variable bitrate\highest quality. If you still encounter errors I have no other suggestions.

3. Ran11

Ran11 Member

Thanks for your input Shoey.

I have read your suggestion carefully, but cannot make it work. See, the problem is that the divx3 to 4 option is grayed-out in DVD2VCD.

My main intention in using DVD2VCD is to take advantage of the better quality output of CCE SP as per other posts in this forum. But, as you can see, I cannot make it work.

I have been using TMPGenc and it works basically fine (some jerkiness on the images once in a while though) and wanted to see if I could get better quality encoding.

On the other hand, my Sony DVD doesn't read SVCDs and I wanted to try the VCD header trick on it, but TMPGenc makes a mess out of my mpg file's sound/image sync.

Again, thanks. Any other input would be welcome.

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

5. Ran11

Ran11 Member

Tried your suggestion by reinstalling it (I already had it installed). When I was doing so I got the message that newer divx files of the same type where already in my machine. I decided to leave them there.

Once I finished the process I opened DVD2VCD and the option was still grayed-out.

I am totally mistified by this situation.

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Are you using DVD2SVCD 1.1.2 build 1?

http://212.88.77.140/
    If not, install the latest release.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2003
  7. Ran11

Ran11 Member

Yep, that's the version I am using. I also seem to remember having come across a post that mentioned you needed to install a bug fix for it that I believe I installed.

8. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

9. Ran11

Ran11 Member

Thanks Dela!

I downloaded the codec as you told m (BTW, the first link is not working), installed it, and now DVD2VCD loads the AVI file. I haven't gone ahead beyond that still, but the "Convert divx3 to div4" in the Misc. window is still grayed-out.

A couple other questions for you Dela: I have converted an AVI file to SVCD in TMPGenc using the VBR2 option and it has taken 28 hours! Will the DVD2VCD program take less? Also, when I screened the resulting file in my (PAL) 4:3 TV. I do notice that after activating the 16:9 option on it (to fix the vertical height issue in SVCDs, it does not cover the full width of the screen and still maintains some of the anamorphic vertical distortion (which does not ocurr on the computer screen. Do you know why this is happening?

Finally, I have tried the VCD header trick on a SVCD file and could not fit the resulting file in an 80min. CD (my burner does not support overburning). It does fit when burned as SVCD, but my stanalone DVD player does not support SVCDs. Is there any way to work around this?

Thanks for your input.

10. Dommel

Dommel Guest

??????? I did just the same as Ran11, downloaded the xvid, installed it, but I just CAN'T load an .avi file, can someone help me with this, maybe you ran11

THANKS

11. Ran11

Ran11 Member

Hi Dommel,

i don't know if this might work for you, but the AVI files I have loaded into DVD2SVCD all have previously gone through the program Virtualdub so as to mantain video and sound in sync.

For more information on that program and how to use it do a search, there are several posts here that show you how to use it.

Ran11

12. Dela

demmel, make sure you completely uninstall any xvid codec!! then install one from the mirrors link i posted a few posts up!

Ran11, i wouldnt be sure how long it would take with dvd2svcd and tmpgenc!

The vcd header trickshould NOT make the file any bigger. When you are multiplexing the headers, then make sure you select videocd non standard!!

and the stretching problem is possibly the dvd player if its fine on the computer!!

13. Ran11

Ran11 Member

Thanks Dela! You are right!

The header trick did not make the file larger and the stretching problem was gone (as well as the infamous little white squares) once I burned the file unto CD.

The only problem I have encountered is that I used 2 pass VBR with TMPGenc and the resulting file's images play back is jittery. In fact I can't seem to be able to get over some jitter effect (as if it got stuck on certain frames) once in a while in practically all recoding cases.

I've now changed to using DVD2SVCD with ECC and it si much faster. The only problems are that: a) I get the CCE logo in the final VCD and, b) after multiplexing (the header trick) with TMPGenc the sound (encoded at 48Khz 244) everything is fine until I burn the resulting file unto CD with Nero. Then the sound goes seriously out of sync with the movie.

Does someone know why this is happening and how to solve these issues?

Thank you

Last edited: Apr 3, 2003
  14. Ran11

Ran11 Member

I've run into another problem: I downloaded the latest DVD2SVCD version and now have the CCE SP trial version 2.66 I am using won't save my ecl files.

I have downloaded and installed EclCCE (latest version), but it won't help. I get a "Can't save ecl file. Limitation of trial version" message.

Isn't EclCCE supposed to solve this? Can someone give me a clue as to why this is happening?

I look forward to your input.

Thank you

Last edited: Apr 3, 2003
  15. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Go back to the previous version m8. Also, doom9 recommends that you check Safe mode (frameserving) when using CCE 2.66.

Shoey

16. Dela

You should use 2.5 with DVD2SVCD, works better!!

Now for the problem after you burn, there are a few things that come to mind, when you burn, does nero re-encode anything?? do you burn it with the vcd compilation and at what speed??

17. Ran11

Ran11 Member

Thanks to you both Shoey and Dela.

Shoey: I can't quite make out what you are suggesting I do. What is the m8 version? And, the safe mode you mention in CCE 2.66, am I supposed to check that option under the Frameserving tab in DVD2SVCD? If so, I cannot find it.

Dela: Since my last message i was getting so frustrated I've gone back to using CCE 2.5. I did a fast encoding to see the results and was surprised to see there is no sound. This is quite puzzling.

When I burned the CD with Nero I used the wizard, which is something I've done before with correct results, and clicked on the "non-compliant file" (or whatever it is called) option. I always try to burn my VCDs at x4 or even x2, which was the speed I used this time.

Hope this explains my situation a little better.

Again, thank you both.

18. Dela

You cant blame CCE SP for the sound if you were using DVD2SVCD because BeSweet encodes the sound!!!

By the way, Shoey meant mate when he said m8!

19. Shoey

Shoey Guest

If your using the latest DVD2SVCD 1.1.3 build 1 version, the "safe mode (frameserving)" is located in the encoder tab folder. Dela is right about the sound issue (BeSweet). I had audio problems backing up the movie Steel Magnolias .

Shoey

20. Ran11

Ran11 Member

No Dela, I was not blaming CCE for the sound. In fact, I must say that the sound issue was due to a stupid mistake of mine (the volume was lowered in one of the sound control screens) -the kind of mistakes one does after spending too many hours in front of the computer. Found the cause when WM Player did play the file with sound. I've solved it now.

I thought the cause was that I had unchecked the 48 - 41 KHz option since I seem to have seen a 41Khz pulldown message somewhere in the DVD2SVCD log file's end.

Shoey I am using DVD2SVCD 1.1.3 build 1 version at the moment, but I've gone back to CCE 2.5 for the moment. Thanks for your input.

I must say though, that the results with CCE are quite nice and faster than with TMPGenc. But with the CCE logo appearing on the whole resulting file it makes the process feel like an exercise in futility.

Please note that I have not been able to solve the out-of-sync sound issue after burning in Nero. Any suggestions as to the cause?

Again, thanks to both, your inputs are being quite helpful.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2003