1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd43 green smiley face

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by smileyaj, Nov 25, 2004.

1. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

dj928,

I thought you didn't l;ike Shrink ?

Anyway, to answer your questions,

CopyToDVD is quite easy but that is easily explained. It is only a burner. It does not edit or compres files, it only burns them to disc BUT having said that - I'd like to say, I really do like CopyToDVD as it is a truly great burner. It also works well with DVD Shrink and DVD2One. Another great proggy which edits and compresses DVD's.

I use both of them to do TV episodes.

AFA Shrink, when you use that in re-author mode you lose any menus you ever had.

Now that you have spelled out what exactly you are doing - I suggest using DVDD to rip (if needed) then use DVD2One and burn with CopyToDVD for burning to disc.

If you need to put menu's into your work, use DVDlab. It isn't too difficult at all -

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/history.html

You'll then have a very nice set of tools to perform your tasks and have a very good finished product in the end -

Cheers,

Pete :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  2. dj928

dj928 Member

Hi Pete.

I don't like DVD Shrink, but I am trying to be open to trying other programs per your suggestion. I wasn't happy with the quality of copies created by ICopyDVDs2 and DVD43. So, I wanted to compare the ones created by DVDD and DVD Shrink.

How does ICopyDVDs2 copy 8G of programming to a 4.7G disc without compressing?

I want to keep this process relatively simple. If I can get the answers to my previous questions, do you think using DVD Shrink and DVDD will be easier than DVDD, DVD2One and ICopyDVDs2.

I will be making mainly copies that I will want to be of highest quality possible - removing all extras to minimize the compression. I will want to be able to put the discs in, set everything up - then have it read and burn hopefully without me having to come half-way through the process to have to click on something.

Hopefully, this will give you a better idea of what I am looking for. From your past posts, I was under the impression that to get the best copies, I had to use DVD Shrink with DVDD. If that's the case, I am willing to keep trying to use the programs to achieve my highest quality copies.

Thanks. :)

3. smw8888

smw8888 Member

I have ICOPYDVDS2 also. Its a OK piece of software, but you are limited on options though. I did copy ELF with no problem with ICOPYDVDS2.

Since then I have switched to DVDCLONER2 and ANYDVD.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It doesn't, nothing does.

It either spreads it over 2 discs OR compresses the 8GB soooo much the quality would be horrific. 8GB is a lot. Added to that you want complete menus and navigational capabilities and the request that you not have to do anything, I don't know what to suggest -

In my last post I offered options but perhaps they were too vague for you - here then is a thumbnail -

DVDD, to rip
    DVDLab, for your chapters / navigation
    DVD2One to compile (put together)
    CopyToDVD to burn to disc.

The above accomplishes all that you have asked for.

The only thing I cannot fulfill would be the request that you don't have to do anything to accomplish your goal after the clicking on one button.

Good luck,

Pete

5. dj928

dj928 Member

Well, currently, ICopyDVDs2 and DVD43 does accomplish the goal of clicking once and having it do the rest. These programs have taken DVDs with 8GB of info and burned copies onto my 4.7GB discs. I don't know how they did it, but they did.

DVD Shrink with DVDD is close. Once the settings are selected, it takes about 3 clicks at various times during the process. With a 4 hour process, this can be quite time consuming, but if that's what I have to do, I'll do it. I don't want to use 4 separate programs unless they integrate with each other like the above.

So, if you could please answer the following questions, I would like to continue trying to work with what I have started to learn.

1. If using the re-author option, do I still have to uncheck as much as I can as mentioned in the previous instruction?

2. What about menus? When copying TV shows with different episodes, it's important to be able to get from one episode to another easily. What happens if I remove the menus and just select the shows to burn? I tried to add only the menus that I thought I neede, but I got a message (that I can't remember) that indicated I needed to put all or nothing on the menus. My question is how the shows will play without the menus.

Thanks. :)

P.S. The only time I want menus is with TV episode discs that have numerous episodes on one disc. This is because I don't know how I'd go from one to the next easily otherwise. With movies, I plan to generally have nothing but the movie. In those cases, I want the best quality possible.

6. dj928

dj928 Member

By the way, your comment about the horrible quality it would be when compressing 8GB to 4.7, maybe that explains why I've been unhappy with the ICopyDVDs2 program - I've only copied DVDs in the above circumstances.

However, I have a family member who copied a general movie (Shrek 2) with the above programs, and when she showed it to me, it was very bad quality.