1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD43 has failed me....WHY??????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by malachai, Jun 26, 2004.

1. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there wildlife, Welcome to our forum,

If you had read this thread you posted to you would have seen that we discussed the problem with the registry files associated with DVD43 ver 2.0 and how they have to be removed :) That should have answered your post -

Well your problem is that you were running DVD XCopy Xpress RF. What you should be doing is running your Xpress the way it was meant to be run, with a ripper. Let's get you a bit more up to date with the 321Rip patch.

Load this up and then you can play with your DVD43 1.4 with something else like, DVD2One for example -

Here is your 321Rip -

http://321rip.tripod.com/

Now that we've settled that - when you have time, play with your DVD43 1.4 and a trial version of DVD2One -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd2one.cfm

Enjoy there little buddy,

We'll be sea "n" ya,

Pete

2. deb432002

deb432002 Guest

Hi Pete,

Went there, did all that, now I'm back to my original problem only worse. I have the free ver. of dvd43 which I am running with ICopyDVDs2. It will copy the dvd fine but when I put the blank disk in, it either refuses to recognize that it is there or I get an error message that says the disk is not formatted properly. Any suggestions?

Deb

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Deb,

It sounds like a classic case of poor media.

Let's learn a little about the stuff -

Let's take Memorex as an excellent example as media goes, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “ Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?” Note: Memorex in the singles, 5 or 10 pack, as a rule, cause less problem than those Memorex sold in bulk BUT they still aren't recommended for DVD backups.

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example. Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and many Ritek and Verbatim discs aren’t suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized :-(
    Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which “pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media.
    *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case. Trying to shut down your software and ejecting your DVD then restarting your program and re-inserting the same media recently cleaned has been known to help.

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    “Branded” Ritek G04's or Branded Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced Metal AZO.” – BUT it MUST SAY “METAL” AZO !, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.
    Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a 1/2 dollar($ .50 USD) a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 Branded Verbatim discs or 3 “Branded” Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR, the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups. Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Let's try the right media for the job - just buy a 5 pack of what we recommend that will settle it once and for all - Don’t cheat though, buy the EXACT media we recommended –

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

BTW, In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to the type of composite some manufactures use, their method of dye application and the lack of OR the poor quality control used during manufacturing. when I say "Branded" that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "Verbatim" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than that you are buying now.

cheers,

Pete

PS
    FAIR WARNING. . . Using that "Cheap" media, your backups may not last all that long -

One thing I haven't addressed is the life of a backup made on an "el cheapo" disc. We all know that data, music and video backups on CD's and DVD's will last forever, well, if not forever for at least 100 yrs or so - That's what we've read and that's why we backup our treasures to disc, so that they'll be safe. "BLAaaaT" (the bone chilling sound of an emergency air horn), Wrong, Dead Wrong ! Don't throw the originals away, you may very well need them. Your video camera tapes and family picture CD's and DVD's, may not be there the next time you want to look at them. "Point of fact," inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down]" in time. In a very short time, we're talking disc breakdown in less than a single year, in as little as 6 to 8 months.

Important, please read -
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

Iffin ya have some more questions Deb, stop on back :)

"P"