1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd43 vs purchased software

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by arbitor, Mar 30, 2005.

1. arbitor

arbitor Member

I am new to the dvd backup world, and have been using dvd43 / Instant Copy with some success. I had problems with 2 films, Garfield (memmory error messages during the audio file backup) and Born Supremacy)seemed to burn without error but on playback froze on chapter 2 - till near the end. I will pay for the best software but will this work better than the free software, if so which one should i go for.

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Freeware--DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Retail software--AnyDVD and CloneDVD 2. Nero is an excellent program also.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

arbitor

Some paid softwares are better but the really good ones come at a price. I use DVD Rebuilder and Cinema Craft Encoder for the majority of my backups, but when I'm in a hurry or the DVD is under 6 gigs then I used DVDCopy3. DVD Shrink is free and it provides very high quality backups but its author is no longer developing it and it might have problems with newer DVD's.

DVD43 is ok, but I decided to go ahead and purchase AnyDVD which is quite superior to it and its's updated often. AnyDVD also compensates for DVD Shrinks weaknesses. If you're backing up DVD's on the fly and you're receiving errors it be that your system isn't up to the task, in which case you might want to download a copy of DVD Decrypter (which is free) and use it to rip your movies with first.

4. arbitor

arbitor Member

bilbo65
    Thanks for the advice, i have been using dvd decrypter and dvd shrink with more success.
    Sophocles
    i will take a look at DVD rebuilder, Cinema Craft and DVDCopy3. i will also go through the threads for some information on refining the settings for best quality output, it seems to vary so much from film to film.
    thankyou