1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd9 to dvd5 without changing the video

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by arnonh, Apr 1, 2005.

1. arnonh

arnonh Member

how can i copy a dvd9 to dvd5 without changing the video compression or changig the dvd structure
    i neet to change the audio compression to ac3

2. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

You can't unless you put it on 2 discs.

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Hi arnonh
    If you strip away all the extras,audio streams,menu's trailers, special features,even cutting off the credits,some dvd's dont need compressing, of if they do they need very little.
    good luck
    jD

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Dual layer burners allow you to make a copy with no compression. That does mean buying a dual layer burner and expensive dual layer media though.

Converting the audio to AC-3 is usually not needed as the movie is probably already AC-3. AC-3 is the standard audio track on DVDs. (http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dolby_digital.cfm)
    Splitting the movie or removing extras are the typical way to get a DVD-9 sized to fit DVD-5 media. There are several ways to do this, depending on how much effort you want to make for a small increase in quality.

High quality: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm

Here are some more guides detailing how most of us make our copys:
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial007a.html

Hi Jim!

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Hi frank
    I completely forgot about dual layer media,even though I have a dual layered burner.I still havent burned any dual layered stuff on it,its still too rich for my blood.LOL

I hadnt looked at your site lately,it keeps getting better, and better,im bookmarking it this time :)

May I use it from time, to time, to help out newbies?
    Some people want a step, by step, guide and who says it better than you and scubapete ;)

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hehe Jim and thanks!, I just replaced my Sony DL burner with a new Pioneer DVR-109 and I never have burned a single dual-layer disc...To be honest I just don't really care all that much about "perfect" copies. (too rich for my blood as well!) I just rip the movie with Shrink and burn with Nero. If Shrink has a problem I'll use Decrypter to rip with, Shrink and then Nero.
    Sometimes I use other programs mainly so I know what the hell I'm talking about when I answer a question.
    I don't even buy Blank DVDs anymore. I get them for free as payment for helping my local friends and neighbors do their back-ups. They also offer to burn me copies of their stuff as well but of course I mention to them the legal issues and then I do what is normal.

ScubaPete and me keep working on the website and I just want you to know it is for you and all the other folks at AD to use as they like. I will post guides and make pages for anyone who wants them. So far Pete has been the only major contributor. So you can of course send anyone you like, and if you have a post you use over and over to answer the same questions, feel free to send it to me and I'll make a page or whatever you like.

As always I give prompts to AD and because I care for this site, I would urge that any links to my site be preceded by a link to relevant guides and downloads right here at AD.

7. arnonh

arnonh Member

I have a music dvd and all the audio is in the background of the menus so i need to compres the audio only without demeging the menu structure
    the audio is in MPEG-1 Layer 2 format