1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD9

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by josp03, Apr 13, 2005.

1. josp03

josp03 Member

I have a question about DVD9s

How compatible are they with dvd players?

Wheres a good place to get good ones for a good price?

sorry but i searched and it didnt seem to come up with much...

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

josp03,
    Welcome to the forum.

Most DVD-9's depending on the disk manuf are compatitable although I would suggest you get the Verbatim DVD-9's

Try www.supermediastore.com or www.rima.com or www.meritline.com or www.newegg.com

You will find these are not cheap disks and I suggest you start out using the DVD-5's instead

3. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

agree - most movies are on dvd9 - most are compatible - not cheap

4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

are we talking about blank dual layer disc's here ? if so i have not found too many players that will play them myself . my liteon dvdrom wont play them and my rca stand alone player wont play them either . im interested in what brand players will play movies that i have burned to dual layer disc's ?

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

That's funny dlc2k, I have tried many players and they all play fine. You may have better luck if you change the booktype to DVD-Rom if you burner has bitsetting capabilities(I'm sure it does). What program do you use to back up to DL media?

Oh, and I agree with Car.Mike's suggestion on using verbatim DL media. These seem to be the most compatible and problem free so far(not to mention the first on the market). I also suggest you burn these at 2.4x. I have had errors at 4x with decrypter and nero.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

thanks for the reply , im using a sony dru 710a burner with clonedvd2 , nero recode (sometimes) , dvdcopy3 . all are able to burn dual layer disc's . i have tried verbatim dvd+r dl disc's @2.4x . i can burn fine with the sony burner and the sony burner is the only thing that will play them . im trying to find a player that will play them other than the burner that burned them . nero recode sets the booktype to dvdrom but my rca stand alone player wont play them and neither will my liteon 166s dvdrom . im not sure if i can set the booktype with clonedvd2 or dvdcopy3 . i dont see any where to do it in them programs . nero recode does it but they still wont play in anything but the burner . i checked out decrypter but i dont see the sony drives listed for setting the booktype . if i may ask , what player are you using to play the burned dual layer disc's ? im thinking maybe my player's dont like the burned dual layer disc's as they play everything else i burn on single layer disc's . thanks for helping me with this .

7. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

I have a Toshiba, Sony and an Apex DVD Player and all of the Verbatim D/L's I have done ( 6 ) They all play in the players fine. I am using DVDDecrypter to do the D/L's though. Nero has had problems w/ the layer break and I have not tried Shrink as D/L disks are kind of Expensive if you get a coaster.
    The burners I have are a Plextor, Pioneer and a NEC

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well the truth is
    67% will play DL disks

93% DVD-R
    90% DVD+R

Source VideoHelp.com :)

9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I've played my DL backups on 5 different sony models, 4 samsung(one is a portable dvd player with display), a philips, a panasonic, a toshiba, my playstation, my xbox and of course both of my burners. Though I mentioned changing the booktype to DVD-Rom for more compatibility, I haven't had to change mine from +R.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Consider yourself lucky. I havent had as much luck as you and either has most of the DVD recording comunnity :)

I can play my Verbatim DL's in 4 out of the 6 players I have so my percentage is a little better than the general population, but the fact remains they are not that compatable yet. I am sure this will change with time though remember when -R would play in anything, but the +R's didn't. Well that has come around as I am sure the DL will to in time. :)

11. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

thanks for the help , it looks like i'll be in the market for a new dvd player . i dont want to spend too much money on one just to play the dual layer disc's . i wonder if a cheapo cyberhome will play them ? they are around $40 for one of them . it seems like everyone has been having good luck with cheap players . they seem to play everything from what i hear . i dont know how true that is .

12. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

13. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I've used Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4X [bold](Made In Singapore)[/bold] from BestBuy to back up "The Incredible and XXX(special edition)", and both of my PHILIPS DVP 642 & SAMSUNG DVD-P 241 played fine without any issue at all.

14. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

All DL MCC discs are made in singapore.

15. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

thanks for info , im thinking about giving the sony a try . im going to see if bestbuy will let me try one of my burned ones in it before i buy it to make sure i dont have a booktype problem . i know the disc's play as my burner that made them plays them without a problem . they have display models around all the time so it shouldnt be that big of a deal . thanks again for all the advice and good info .