1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDA wav playback question

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by ishotlove, Jan 12, 2008.

1. ishotlove

ishotlove Member

I have an Audigy 2 Platinum with Creative 7.1 surround speakers. The only way i can sound from all speakers is to use the 5.1>7.1 upmix option on the pod and use "stereo surround" in the CMSS options. I just received Metallica's self-titled album, the DVD audio surround sound one. They're in, what i'm assuming are uncompressed wav files, because they're 13,824kbps a piece.

I noticed when playing them back, it almost seems like it doesn't know where to put what sounds sometimes. It'll have a guitar solo come forward and really stand out for a few seconds, then just completely blend in with the rest of the song. I'm assuming this is not how it's meant to sound. So I tried playing it out through my SPDIF port into my Pioneer receiver (5.1 surround). But I can't get it to play in surround, it just plays through the front left and right speakers. Any ideas?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

DVD-A and SACD won't play over digital connections, except on "high end" equipment, and through their proprietary connections, such as a high end Denon receiver and Denon universal player, with their Denon-Link connection. It's a copyright thing.........

You would need a sound card with the 6 analog outputs (I don't know of any), connecting to the receiver's 6 analog inputs, and then use the multi-channel mode.

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

It is *not* a "copyright thing".
    That has absolutely nothing to do with it & is a commonly repeated myth.
    The sole reason that DVD-A/SACD will not play back down consumer connections is because the bandwidth is not there to do this on 24/96 DVD-A 5.1 or any SACD. That is the only reason.
    ADAT (TOSlink) and SP-DIF (CoAxial) are limited to a maximum of 8 channels at 24/48 resolution without using Double Speed connections that are not in consumer connections.

Sorry, but there is no copyright conspiracy here.

4. ishotlove

ishotlove Member

wilkes: So is JVC correct about what I need in order to play the album correctly? I'm not very familiar with this kind of stuff so if you could be as specific as possible about what I would need, I'd greatly appreciate it.

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Yes, he is totally correct in what you need.
    Just wrong about the reason for it.
    To play back SACD or DVD-A, in surround, you need the following:
    EITHER:
    1 - 6 analogue interconnects (Phono leads) from the player to a 6-channel reciever.
    2 - HDMI from the player to the reciever
    3 - D-Link/i-Link (FireWire by any other name) from the player to the reciever.