1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDA with videos

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by poetprose, Mar 12, 2005.

1. poetprose

poetprose Member

Hello all

I'm new to this DVDa and SACD format so please bare with me and my newbie questions

I have "Santna" Supernatural on DVDA and this audio also has 4 videos with it, so you can select the audio tracks or you can switch to video

what i was wondering was if you watch the 4 videos are you still getting the high resolution sound, ?

2. dchapman

dchapman Member

As far as I know, the Audio Zone (i.e. the AUDIO_TS directory) on a DVD-A can't contain video, so those videos must be located in the Video Zone (i.e. the VIDEO_TS directory) - so any DVD-Video ripper will extract the files for you.

You can then see what audio formats are used - it could theoretically be uncompressed LPCM up to 24-bit/96Khz, but is more likely to be 16-bit/48KHz or a lossy format.

3. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

The videos are DVD-V content so no hi-rez audio.

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

In theory, it is perfectly possible tto put up to 24/96 in stereo in the Video_TS. Trouble is, a lot of players will truncate to 16 bit and downsample to 48KHz though.

It is also in the specs for up to 8 channels of LPCM, to a maximum bitrate of 6.144 MB/sec in the Video_TS, but AFAIK this was never enabled in any players as the content creators whined about how much bitrate they would lose for the video section.

As a general rule, Video_TS content will be 16/48 LPCM, possibly 24/48 (see the new Bowie DVD-A titles) with either Dolby Digital and DTS content in multichannel.

5. jjolson

jjolson Member

It's also interesting to note that the mix of DVD-Audio and DVD-Video can be made in two ways:

* They are totally unrelated, your player defaults to either DVD-Audio or DVD-Video and you usually are forced to change a preference in the DVD player setup to be able to play the other. This is often done so DVD-Audio records can be said to "Play in any DVD Player" and still have "24/96/5.1 Hi-Res Audio" on it - just not at the same time... A lot of the people bying auch a DVD-A don't have a DVD-A player, plays the DD/DTS track and are overwhelmed by the "Fantastic Hi-Res Audio"! :)

* The disc is mainly a DVD-Audio record, in the DVD-A playlist you also have one or more videos (you can point from AUDIO_TS to VIDEO_TS but not the other way). I believe the placement of the video track(s) isn't free, either at the beginning or the end. This could be done to use some surplus space on the disc for an interview, a video from the recording session - whatever... After playing the video track (or the group of video tracks, if they are placed together in a group) the control returns to the DVD-A menu.

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Sort of.
    An "unlinked" hybrid is out of spec, despite the fact that Warners do it all the time.
    The spec book states quite clearly that "All imported VTS titles shall be pointed from the AMG of the Audio_TS".
    Not can, or should be, or might be, but SHALL.
    Very clear & specific.
    There are also some very strict rules on exactly what can and cannot be used for imported VTS:
    2 Audio streams only.
    All titles to be set for sequential playback
    Massive VM restrictions
    Lots and lots of "dont do it" comments.

In a linked hybrid, video placement is far from restricted either - not sure where you got that one from!
    You cannot access Audio_TS from a DVD-V player, true. But why would you even try? If the disc is played in a DVD-A capable player, and has been correctly authored, you can access the whole disc. If it's a DVD-V player, an Audio_TS folder makes no sense to it.

Restrictions again come into play when thinking about an in-car system. These can only "see" group 1, and all of the other 8 are prohibited.

Believe me - I do this for a living.

7. jjolson

jjolson Member

OK, so we can say that "the mix of DVD-Audio and DVD-Video can be made in two ways" - but only one of them is following the spec. I didn't know the first method wasn't OK, partly because it's the most commonly used (not only by Warner) and partly because they're still allowed to put the DVD-Audio logo on those hybrid discs.

That was from memory, which may be flawed, and I have never made any kind of hybrid disc myself - either unlinked or linked. So you mean that you can make links from just about anywhere in the DVD-Audio playlist to just about anywhere in the DVD-Video part?

8. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

As long as you follow the rules and restrictions - and your DVD-A authoring software can do it - then yes, absolutely you can.
    It's how you get to see the video features in any DVD-A.
    The only place where Warners and others are out of spec is by not linking to the DD and/or DTS streams, or the 16/48 LPCM.

When you make these discs, you have to author the Video_TS first, then import this into the DVD-A authoring.
    Then you author the Audio_TS in the same way as usual, but remembering to create the links into the Video_TS.

Also, it's possible to add ROM content, if you really feel like going to town.

For examples of well authored correctly to spec discs, check out the Bjork titles on One Little Indian, or for a borderline example, the new Bowie titles.
    Both these can access the lossy streams right off the Video_TS from the AMG.
    Which comes in really useful if you are demoing to a client, and trying to let him/her hear the difference when played at 24/96 or 24/48 uncompressed against the sonic nightmare of Dolby Digital!