1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDclone2 vs. DVD shrink.......

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by dabig25, Oct 21, 2005.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

And here's 3 cents change...

Shrink and DVD Clone 2 100% quality. An impossibility if any transcoding (shrinking) occurred. No matter how good, something gets lost. Not to say the results don't look great to the naked eye in a lot of cases. DVD Clone 2 is ten times better, even more interesting; 100% times 10 equals 1000%. 900% better than perfect, an interesting conclusion.

Now I ask, are we talking about CloneDVD2 from Slysoft or DVD Clone 2, the app that was using Shrink with a control window that hid the Shrink in the background? CloneDVD2 is a decent transcoder, the only edge I see it having is speed. I've used both apps and Shrink actually handles higher compression better than CloneDVD2 and the picture quality is not very different between the 2. One thing I've disliked about Shrink is that on occasion the output looks like someone changed the contrast. It's something one has to pay attention to, but it has been noticable. Some people refer to it as "softening" the output. DVD Clone 2, unless they changed it, it's a ripoff of Shrink. The results were posted over at Doom9 on that fiasco. Someone did a capture and caught a Shrink window flicker in and out.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2005
  2. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

My Software of Choice would be NERO RECODE 2 over Shrink or Clone DVD2

It's faster quality is much better than Shrink or Clone Dvd2 and it's just as easy to use as the others....

a movie that takes Shrink in HIGH QUALITY MODE 1hr 45mins or so to Analyze Encode & Burn takes Nero Recode 2 about 1/2 to a hr (depending on the compression) to Analyze Encode and Burn

3. milleron

milleron Member

By "100%," I think he means that there was no compression using either program. When he says that the other program is 10 x better than Shrink, he's talking about his impression of the final result. Just a guess.

Ron

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Thanks for the input Ron. If he meant compression, it would have been nice had he said that instead of quality. If that was the case, he shouldn't have been using either program. If less than 4.37GB, there is no need for a transcoder, just decryot and burn. If DL, the freeware ImgBurn will burn the decrypted files without running through a transcoder. Nero and other apps can be used for burning as well.

"Better" is more of giving a personal opinion, 10 times better is adding a more quantitative aspect to the statement. Anyone who has used these apps properly can easily realize that is a stretch. Why not just say I prefer DVD Clone 2 over Shrink and leave it at that. If wanting to say they prefer the output of one over the other, just say so. Saying one is 10 times better, meaning the other is 10 times worse is just putting down Shrink unnecessarily. If in reality it is DVD Clone 2, what is being said is I prefer a ripped off version of Shrink over Shrink.

As to that mixup of apps, it seems to be fairly common. But it would be helpful when people talk about apps to get the names right. CloneDVD2 from Slysoft shouldn't get mixed up with DVD Clone 2.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2005
  5. GSTNem

GSTNem Member

well i have two reasons why dvd shrink sucks. 1 the stupidly long time it takes (my computer isnt fantastic so it does make a huge difference) and 2 the authoring (when u remove languages or extra scenes to save size) is impossible to do without messing up the main menu movie and even then its still weird and hard. they may seem like small things to you but they make a big difference to me.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

DVD Shrink has always disabled the menu use when you use its edit function. I know many people like a working menu so if thats what you want you need one of the other copy programs like Clonedvd 2. You can edit all you want and still have a working menu. However when you edit a dvd, many of the functions the menu points to are not there. So is the menu something to worry about. The newer movies are getting so long that in most cases you can only do just the main movie if using single layer blanks. It all depends on what you want.

Jerry

7. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

GST

Did you know that Nero Recode is made by the same people that made

DVD Shrink.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

What happened is that the author of Shrink went to work for Ahead, the owner of Nero.

And as for those working menus to get scene selections and such, one can edit in full disc and get that with Shrink 3.2. If one wants to learn how, just ask in the Shrink section. If you can't find the answer and no one answers, give me a PM with the link and I'll drop in. It's as easy or easier than doing an edit in Re-author.

If speed is the need, then use 1ClickDVDCopy. It's fast, it doesn't always work, and the video output is sometimes crappy. Sometimes the tradeoff for quality is a bit of time. That's the users choice though. CloneDVD2 is faster than Shrink, but it's retail. So, you're spending a few bucks to go faster. Also, unless Slysoft has improved the transcoding software, the app doesn't work as well at higher compression. A lot of this software boils down to personal preferences, not one actually being that much better than the other. Not to say there aren't some apps out there that are stinkers.

9. wvaughan

wvaughan Member

I agree with arniebear. Most of the movies work with DVD Clone 2 but on some occassions the movie won't fit on one disk. When they don't fit I use DVD Shrink. DVD Clone 2 does all the work 4 U all U do is put the movie in one drive and a blank DVD on the other (Pioneer A09) and come back in 20 min. Then send it through your printer and Wha la complete. Picture quality is a setting within the programs DVD Clone 2 is tweaked better than DVD shrink or DVDFab.

10. GSTNem

GSTNem Member

what the hell is nero recode?

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Now that is a Newbie question. Nero is one of the top recording suites on the market and something of a forum favorite. Much checking around the forum and you would have run into a few threads on the subject. Shrink was written with the Nero Burning ROM as the default burner. Recode 2 is a transcoding app in the Nero suite. One of the better backup apps on the market.

Ever try googling? The Nero site is informative and they have a full function download. It's a large file, so can take some time with a dial-up. While doing the download, if your system can multi-task, do a google here at AD and you can find all kinds of threads mentioning Recode 2. Looks like you need to get the hell over to the Nero site and check things out.

12. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

13. brobear

brobear Guest

http://www.ner o.com/nero7/enu/Products.html
    Paste the address in the Address bar and remove the space in "ner o" and then click GO. As you can see Nero is coded on this site. The free trial is in downloads, just look around and you'll find it. Try reading a bit if not familiar with all that's in Nero 7. Recode 2 is a good transcoder, but there's a whole lot more in the suite.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2005
  14. GSTNem

GSTNem Member

well although thats all well and good, but i am pleased with clone dvd 2 and so long as that works with the types of dvds im copying i wont need to look into it. thanks alot ne ways.

ps. the reason ive never heard of it, is because kinda rushed into getting dvd copying software, and i had clone cd already and i liked it, so when i heard of clone dvd i automatically went for it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  15. brobear

brobear Guest

There's a lot to be said for personal preference. That's what it boils down to in most cases. Nothing wrong with that. You're the one who needs to be happy with the choices, not us. It doesn't hurt to experiment a little though, many of these software companies have free trials. Who knows, you may find something you like.