1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDFab Platinum (older edtion) will not add a subtitle file

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by lon, May 14, 2012.

1. lon

lon Regular member

Please answer if you are a DVDFab user.

Procedure:

I select Generic option

The DVDFab Platinum I use shows the selection of subtitle subpicture options available.

I select one (ENG) with a check and uncheck the additional French option.

After the One Pass rip is made, no subtitles display. I must be doing something wrong. Please give a simple and detailed procedure or point to a guide specific to DVDFab.

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

After you open DVDFab and start it there should be a question mark on the top of the page.If you click on it there should be a tutorial section there.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The subs don't show most probably because they aren't hard coded,instead you have to play videothen select them manually,as an example if i use vlc to play video, i'd hit the word "video" in the menu bar ,there you'll see subtitle; by default subs are off so to enable subs on screen i select subtitle 1 then they will display,you may find you might have to use handbrake to do what you want it's free with a good guide or the offshoot vidcoder

4. lon

lon Regular member

I know of and have tried to use Handbrake and Vidcoder. They run very hot at 99% cpu usage on my 3 core AMD machine. I can watch the temp climb until I have to turn of the program at the board limit of temperature. Any suggestions to avoid the heatup problem?

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Clean the dust out.As for handbrake or v/coder settings can be set to limit cpu usage so other programs can be used

6. lon

lon Regular member

The board is new and runs open (bench-style) and is air cleaned frequently.

Please say which settings in Handbrake or Vidcoder address the cpu usage.
    I've also had advice to control laser heat at the dvd burner with the speed control available in Nero.

Nero > Nero Toolkit > Nero Drive Speed. Once set Drive speed should hold for the
    run of the job but then resets after use.

From above, what is a good setting to control cpu speed? Where is it found?

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  7. lon

lon Regular member

Followup:

In Vidcoder I looked at the Preset Option which defaults to None. The dialog says it
    trades compression efficiency for encoding speed and once set takes priority over other operations. Is this the correct parameter to adjust?

I will look for something similar in Handbrake.

Plus an additional question: I have also used Vidcoder/Handbrake to try and get this subtitle problem resolved. However my encoding jobs in both Vidcoder and Handbrake were dreadful. Could this come from having the above described setting too high to be written correctly to the hard drive as MKV?

8. lon

lon Regular member

more progress,

I now know what a forced subtitle is (quoting from a Doom9 guide for AutoGordianKnot)

'Finally we have two subtitle options: Display only forced subtitles will process only the forced subtitles on the original DVDs - i.e. the subtitles you cannot switch off. Forced subtitles are often used for dialogue parts which are not in the same language the movie is on'

In Setting up a subtitle (in my case from Taiwanese audio to English subs, the box to
    'display forced subtitles only' should be unchecked and not checked as I had it.

But there was a further problem with DVDFab: perhaps the size was set incorrectly as my normal size is about 700. This extended length dvd transferred as 2 (yes two) images on a split screen. It reminded me of using manual tools like VobSub (I think the right name.)

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Nero drive speed is for dvd drives not cpu or hdd

overheating as you put it would obviously mean there's not enough directional airflow,this would be better off in a seperate topic & state whether unit is being overclocked

In handbrake to lower cpu usage or so other programs can run-
    tools-
    options-
    system & logging tab-
    CLI-
    piriorty level

your last post suggests you have subs being displayed now as hard coded

as for fab i don't use it for creating any sort of movie conversion for a device so i can't help much there simply because i'd rather do it manually like with HB,700mb is pretty small even at 2gb a movie appears washed on an lcd,crt not so much

10. lon

lon Regular member

Yes overheating of one drive I pulled from use was very hot ot the touch and blistered one disk but the content was undamaged.

These days I have been taking the drive's temperature with the back of my hand like having a kid with a fever. Laser heat has to be the cause for that extreme heat. Since I have gotten rid of the offending unit due to the possibility of media damage I have yet to try the Drive Speed DVD speed reduction to reduce operating heat.

I will look up the HB program adjustment.

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

install speccy it will give all temps