1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDFab platinum or DVDshrink?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by dragnandy, Apr 2, 2008.

1. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i have both dvdshrink and dvdfab platinum. which do you guys think is better?

2. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

DVD Platium is updated to match new copy protection so that you can back a copy of your movie up.

Shrink is running into problems with newer movies as the copyright protection is constantly being changed.

After you rip the movie w/ DVDFab you can shirnk the file with DVD Shrink and save some space.

3. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

thanks, anybody else?

4. colw

colw Active member

dvdfab platinum is a good program and easy to use.
    DvdShrink while no longer updated, still works very well if you are running AnyDVD in the background.

My preference until recently has been the DVDShrink/AnyDVD method although I've started playing around with dvdfab platinum a little more recently.

5. RJ1960

RJ1960 Member

I've used both programs. DVD Fab is an all in one program that encompasses many different target media. It is really easy to use and extracts a full DVD in approx 30 mins.

I would suggest using DVD Fab.

Neither of these programs will back up Rogue Assassin.

6. colw

colw Active member

Had no problems backing up Rogue Assassin with Shrink and AnyDvd

7. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Dvd Shrink's main purpose is as a transcoder, it just happens to have a built in ripper. And of course, it's no longer updated.

DvdFab (especially the pay versions; Gold and Platinum) are all inclusive. Rip, compress, and burn. And it's updated often.

It's hard to compare the two as far as which one is better since their primary functions differ.

I use DvdFab Platinum mostly. But Shrink certainly has it's place in my arsenal.

8. danmax

danmax Member

Well I see no one has been here for a few months. I started out with DVDX Copy which I purchased. When it went OOB I came here and from a long time member got shrink and all the other ripping programs for free (I still have loaded). But I did purchase DVD Fab Platinum on sale from a link here at AD for about $39.00, I've ran that for a feww years I guess and the real cool thing about that was I saved my emails when I had to switch HDD's on the computer it was loaded on and ended up with two computers running the program. I do like Fab since it is always updating. So thanks for the chance to voice my opinion danmax

9. drhesq

drhesq Member

No question here, DVDPlatinum or any other rare metal version and, if you have no coinage, the free version but with that one you need Nero or such.

10. lamchops1

lamchops1 Member

Try this

1) decrypt to HDD with dvdfab HD (free version) Or use paid for version
    2) process files (all) with fixvts
    3) shrink files with dvd shrink, output as iso/image to HDD
    4) burn iso/image file with IMgburn

11. vb4wil

vb4wil Member

Not sure if anyone still checks back into the original question anymore but having used both, here are my 2 cents.

DVDFab, free or paid version, allows you to decrypt DVDs into hard drive with continuous updates to keep up with the latest regional and copy right protections released. The paid version then allows you to burn movies into DVD+/-R's for viewing in home DVD players. Free version does not.

DVD Shrink, though free, can both decrypt and burn (with Nero) as well. However, due to the fact that it's not been updated since late 2004, it doesn't remove all the newer copy right protections released since then.

I used a free version of DVDFab to decrypt the movies onto hard drive then use DVD Shrink (w/Nero 8) on my XP machine to burn the DVDs. This gave me the ability to decrypt the latest copy right protections while using options available with DVD Shrink to customize the compression ratios between main movie to menu and extras. Or to Re-author the movie which allowed customization to select titles one at a time while still able to select audio type and compression ratio to fit them into a DVD-5 disc.

Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more of an hassle since I have to copy & transfer the decrypted folders/files from my Vista desktop (faster/newer hardware) in order to burn it on my XP machine as DVD Shrink is not compatible with Windows Vista. (I learned this the hard way trying to use both software in Vista, only to find out the discs don't play correctly in home DVD players...although they play fine back on Vista.) That and having to keep my old XP computer around for this purpose only is really not conducive to the environment with such outdated hardware.

So finally I gave in and purchased full version of DVDFab which allowed decryption and burning both directly on Vista. While I miss the wide array of freedom to customize with DVD Shrink (DVDFab does not offer customized compression ratios should you desire to copy the entire disc), the amount of time saved to transfer files back and forth was well worth the small investment of 40 bucks.

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

A (far) superior alternative is DVD Rebuilder.

For the longest time I only used to use DVD Shrink for movies that only needed 90% compression, for anything less i'd use DVD Rebuilder. Nowadays i use Rebuilder (with the free HC Encoder) as my primary encoder, i don't even use DVD Shrink anymore unless it's something like 98%. I do have DVDFab Platinum but it doesn't get a look in due to Rebuilder.

DVD Rebuilder can work magic with movies and Episodic discs, for instance i used it to re-encode the whole of the latest couple of Battlestar Galactica seasons, most discs were 44% compression and Rebuilder worked miracles (especially considering the amount of dark scenes in Battlestar). DVDFab nor DVD Shrink, as good as they are, aren't a patch on Rebuilder

13. zax808

zax808 Guest

Hey creaky, i didn't mean to do the multi-post, my bad man.

14. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

You probably would've been better of PM'ing Creaky for that. ;)

15. zax808

zax808 Guest

PMing? do you see that thing under my name that says newbie hahaha, yha!

16. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Lol.

Privat MessagING

17. zax808

zax808 Guest

yha. its no biggie. i accidently mltiposted. i was trying to delete it but didn't have a clue how :/ can you delete threads?

18. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

No you cannot delete, move, or close threads. Those are powers granted to Moderators, Admin, and Staff.

19. zax808

zax808 Guest

can you contact a moderator and ask them to do this for you?

thanks man:)

20. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

You can Private Message a Moderator, or when you reach Member status you can Report threads that violate forum rules.