1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDR Hardware

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by memfrican, Apr 28, 2005.

1. memfrican

memfrican Member

Since nobody answered my post yesterday in the Media section of this forum, I'll try you guys out. Here's my question:

" Can you tell me what you think the best EXTERNAL DVDr hardware is? I am about to buy an external DVDR and want to know which product you guys recommed. I have been doing alot of research, and am leaning towards the ..

Sony DRX-710UL DVD+R Dual Layer Burner ..

what does the dual layer mean by the way? It has great stats, I'm liking the 8x DVDr speed feature. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance. "

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from DVD-R for advanced users*

First off you need to read the forum rules.

Rule #2. Consider an appropriate forum before posting your question -- look at the forum descriptions on the main forum page first.

Your asking which is the best external DVD burner. So you should have posted in PC hardware > DVD±R drives (which is where it was moved to)

Rule #3. Post your question only once! Don't cross-post your questions to multiple forums!

RE:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/183917
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/185923

3. flip218

So what made you get the memorex?

Don't get caught up in burning fast. Just cause they make 16x burners and 16x media doesn't make it a good thing.

I've had several burners and the only one I burn at 8x is my Plextor PX-716.

And to answer your other multipost, yes you should be running it off a USB 2.0 port.

You try searching dual layer? It's a dvd w/ 8.5GB of storage compared to 4.7GB (single layer discs). Don't get them confused with double sided discs (4.7 GB on each side) a dual layer disc you don't flip over. Very expensive around $6.50 a piece ... whereas single layer discs are around $0.50 or even cheaper.

4. memfrican

memfrican Member

My bad flip. Well I picked the Memorex because I read alot of crap reviews about the Sony external burner. Yea, I did more research after I posted that "noob" question there. Just getting into the dvd burning crave. Anyways, I went with the Memorex, not only for the speed (in the future, the quality fo the media might actually get cheaper and actually dish out great quality while burning faster, but who knows right?), but for the combo drives, etc. Also, the dual layer feature, but I don't tend to buy that media until much later, say when it get's hella cheaper, haha.

So, yea, that's what I got, however I have a new burning question. So, I did alot of research on this forum about the type of media to use, and I understand what the -R and +R mean, etc ... and that taiyo yuden is a great product (which is what I am going to go with). So, here's my question(s) about where I am going to buy the product. Obviously, since reading posts here, I will choose to buy my first media from www.supermediastore.com and also go with the TY media. So, could you tell me by looking at this link, what type of disc I should get?

http://supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd-r-media.html <--- Types of Taiyo Yuden Media at supermediastore.com

I was leaning towards the "Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R Media silver thermal printable" because it says in red right below it that it's "the best DVD media" and also when you click on that type of disc and click on more, it says that the Manufacturer ID is: [TYG02], which determines the disc is authentic? Am I right?

Anyways, I just want to hear your thoughts on which media you think is best on this page, and which one I can more bang for my buck. Oh yea one last question on that types of taiyo yuden media ... what is the difference between the silver printable and the hub printable? I tried a search on this and got nowhere. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  5. flip218

I don't know if you can return the drive, but you could always buy a OEM NEC 3540 and put it into an external enclosure for around $100 or so for both.

How much did you pay for the memorex?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Before you buy your media on the web,you may want to try a small batch of quality media.Get you a couple of rw's to practice with.After you get the hang of it,get a small pack of maxell's in both formats.
    Some stand alones can have difficulty reading +,-,play them both,or not play any of them.Maxell's come in small 3/5/and 10 packs and are very good quality in either format.Also keep that burn speed slow,till you get it mastered.

Try both formats in all those players that your backups will be played on. They will decide which format you will use. Usually a "no disc inserted" error if they don't like that format using quality media with a slow burn speed.

Just a few tips so you don't buy a huge volume of dvd's and then find out you can't play them on your players.
    Good Luck

7. memfrican

memfrican Member

I got the Memorex for $139 from staples.com ... very good deal in my opinion. Yea, I was thinking about getting some RW's to practice with. Yea, I was thinking about getting an internal burner and just enclosing it, however I just wound up going with the external burner. Anyways, what media should I get in TY?

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

9. memfrican

memfrican Member

yea fasfrank, i just bought the same thing today. It's listed as the "best quality media" on their website under the Taiyo Yuden media section. I also got a 25 pack of Ritek DVD+RW media. Was the Ritek a good choice?

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The Ritek is very good media, I don't know if 25 R/W discs is a great idea though. You probably only need three or four of those for practicing and experiments, but no biggie. I have quite a few myself.