1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDrebuilder CCE, with DVDremake and Other Tools for Beginners

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Sophocles, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

@dimad

I did some time tests on a 7.8 GB file. I have a C:7200 and D:5600. To just transfer this file from a 5600 to 7200 drive it takes 9-1/2 min. To export a RMP file from the 5600 drive to a 7200 it takes 16 min. To export the same RMP file on the 7200 drive it takes 23 min.

I am going to work with the DVD that took the 2 hours again. I was doing some excessive editing with it and it seemed like the whole system was starting to slow down near the end of the editing process. We'll see.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

dimad, you're right. I did Rat Race last nite using remake and it took longer than I thought. I usually walk away and I was just guestimating. It took an hour and 5 minutes. Sorry Doc, I still think 2 hours is a long time.

3. dimad

dimad Regular member

Did I say that it is wise not to use a system disk as source or destination? But even then: An hour ?! Oh boy!

No wonder some people ask for partial output of only edited files.

4. MackemX

MackemX Regular member

lol :D

I asked for partial output as I want to wait 2 minutes instead of 5 minutes. It would cripple me if I had to use the same HD

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

dimad,[bold]"Did I say that it is wise not to use a system disk as source or destination?"[/bold]

I exported my files to another 120g external HD, that I do all my video work on. But, just curious, why do you say that?

6. MackemX

MackemX Regular member

@bigorange, it takes a longer to process 7-8Gb on the same HD and even more so on a slower HD system

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Mackem X, thanx,I realize that, I thought he meant there was something unsafe or detrimental to the system. so sorry.

8. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Wow, those are some long times. I do everything on 2 drives. One's 80GB 7200RPM with only a 2MB cache and the other's 160GB 7200RPM with an 8MB cache in a firewire enclosure. I think the longest time I've ever gotten (source and destination both on the firewire box) was between 15 and 20 minutes.

9. MackemX

MackemX Regular member

I sometimes run low on space and I hate processing on the same HD when doing anything. It's so funny seeing as it only takes a few minutes more but it's the fact it also slows down your PC overall so you can't really do much else either :(. Time for a snack attack or something I suppose when it does happen :)

10. vurbal

Yeah, I try to avoid it, but sometimes I have 10 different projects going at the same time and I don't have a choice. It's especially bad since I got my camcorder. I usually have between 10GB and 20GB of AVIs waiting to go on DVD.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

vurbal, then that makes mine seem too long. I'm working from an external 80g to another external 120g.

Maybe I wasn't so far off on my guesstimation after all. I'm gonna have to keep a closer check on this. I do know I did a lot of re-authoring in Rat Race, there are an awful lot of extras. I purposely timed it after dimad's statement and it was 65 minutes.

With rebuilder/cce, I know exactly what it took from the log. It's always in the 3 to 4 hour range. Used it for Rat Race and it turned out perfect. ( only one coaster since switching back to 2.67, I know I know, you don't wanna hear it, right?)

12. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I finally had some time to check out the DVD that I clocked 2 hours on with RMP. It came in at 16 minutes this time around ... as are the others I've tested.

13. f1drake

f1drake Member

Does USing Rebuilder and CCE give you should good results that you shouldnt have to loose any features on a DVD-9 movie? If it is a longer movie what should be used in conjunction with it to edit out stuff?

Thank you and expect some more questions from me as this looks like the way I want go when backing up DVDS that have good extra features I want to keep.

edit - and how can you tell if the dvd you are backing up has multiple angles as I read that using rebuilder/cce doesnt support these?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Liteon 811S
    Ritek Ridata 4x Dvd-R[/small]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  14. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

f1drake...

Welcome to AD. The experienced folks use Rebuilder/CCE as a final step (before burning) to get the best quality possible. There are different softwares that can be used in the step before this. Part of this thread is discussing those softwares, and so I'll leave it to you to read about them. Here is a guide by vurbal that explains Rebuilder/CCE: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm

There is also other sw that is easier for a new person to use, and will also do what you are looking for ... but many of these must be purchased. If you are just starting, I would recommend downloading the freeeware DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter from AD. With these two programs and a burner like Nero 6, you can shrink and burn a complete DVD 9 to a DVD 5. You also have the choice of editing out a lot of things. If you are new to this, this is a great place to start. Nero even offers a free trial period on their software!!!
    _____

Add On. Concerning your edit about angles, I am just getting into this part of it. There are others that can explain this better than I.

_
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

drake, most of us use DVDRemake to re-author with rebuilder and CCE. Cost-25.00 and it will handle multiple angles

doc, when you gonna decide on a sig? lol
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

f1drake

Welcome. When we say we use DVDremake to remove unwanted content, the intent is to keep the entertaining extras. I don't like having to skip through moive trailers to get to main menu where you access all the enjoyable content from. Some movies are so big that they don't have room for extra content such as LOR III, Return Of The King (200 minutes). I backed it up using DVDrebuilder/CCE and the result was amazing and to the eye almost a perfect backup of the original
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

17. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

@bigorange.
    (Can't say for sure. I'm still trying to "find myself")

18. vurbal

f1drake,
    I'd recommend starting with DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Besides being free, these are both tools that you will still be able to get some use from with other programs. You can generally do everything you need to in Shrink, but it won't give you the highest quality backups when compression is required. There's some debate about the best program to use for relatively little compression (I don't get into those debates), but for higher compression the general consensus is that CCE based solutions (DVD Rebuilder, DVD2DVDR) give you the highest quality.

If you want to remove all extras and menus (a movie-only backup), reauthoring with DVD Shrink will do that for you. If you want to remove some or all extras and keep the menus you'll need another program because Shrink doesn't give you that option. I use DVD Remake Pro for this because it can remove any extra or menu you want without losing the functionality of the remaining menus. It can also tell you when you have multiple angles and remove them, and the Pro version is also capable of removing ILVU (AKA Interleaving or Seamless Branching), which is what's generally used to put multiple versions of the same movie with the same aspect ratio on a disc. Once again, if you make movie-only backups with Shrink this isn't necessary.

19. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I went to purchase CCE Basic and found it being sold for $58, rather than the commonly mentioned $25. Has there been a price increase, or is there another site I might go to for the savings? (The CCE site takes you to visiblelight.com).

20. vurbal

That's the right price for CCE Basic. It's DVD Remake that sells for $25.