1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDRW now listed as CD drive on E drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Jana, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Jana

Jana Guest

I had a DVD burner on my E drive. A couple of weeks ago, it showed up on the E drive as "CD drive" and would no longer read or burn DVDs; it would, however, read CDS. I tried restoring to an earlier date, but nothing worked. I desperately needed to back up some documents from my computer. Right clicked on the E drive and clicked on Recording tab in my properties. Then checked box to "enable CD recording on this drive" and it did burn a CD. Where did my DVD burner go --how can I get it back. I am not very sophisticated in doing anything to registries so am very leary of trying that. Any suggestions -- would appreciate all the help I can get. THANKS!
    Jana

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Go into Device Manager, and uninstall the burner, reboot, and when Windows finds it again, give burning a DVD another shot.

3. Jana

Jana Guest

GrandpaBW,
    Thanks for your suggestion. Uninstalled burner and rebooted as you suggested. Drive then showed up as DVD, but the minute I clicked on the drive properties, it switched to CD Drive. Will not burn DVDs but will burn CDs. Tried unintalling again and same thing happened. Very perplexing to say the least. Don't know what else to try. Thanks for your suggestion.
    Jana

4. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Which OS do you have? Windows XP has no native support for writing DVDs. You need to use an application like ImgBurn or Nero to write DVDs. IDK about Vista.

5. Jana

Jana Guest

Olyteddy,
    I presently have AVS DVD copy which used to work great before my present problem. I also have Nero and Roxio - but the only installed program is AVS, which I preferred over Nero or Roxio because of its simplicity. Any suggestions.
    Jana