1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs freeze and stutter on standalone Samsung player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Peregrine, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

I have posted this problem before but never received an answer, so I am posting this again because I cannot find a solution anywhere on the Internet or at any support site for the hardware/software I use to create DVDs.

I am using Nero Vision Express 2.1.2.21 to burn DVDs. Up until recently, I never had any problems with the DVDs I burned. They worked reliably on any player I tried, both standalone and on PCs.

On my home made DVDs that I make on the computer, they play just fine on the PC with no glitches. But when I play them on my Samsung player that is hooked up to the TV, they mostly play fine and look good, but in the last five minutes of each episode (three to a disk), they start hanging up to the point where the picture and sound freeze and the screen breaks up into squares in a few places. On testing the ends of the episodes on my PC, they play fine, so I don't think it's bad media (I use Prodisk but am switching to Taido Yuden). The Samsung player plays commercial DVDs just fine and it used to play the DVDs I made myself just fine. It has been only recently that I have seen these glitches. Other people I've made DVDs for have also reported these types of glitches.

Other than the reports from friends, I have no other players to test this out on other than on PCs, so I can't say whether it is a Samsung problem or it is a problem with the Nero software I use when I make DVDs or even the media itself. I've even used two separate burners to make DVDs and can repeat the problem on the Samsung standalone player. My Pioneer DVR-105 is the primary recorder I use to make my DVDs and the fastest speed is 4X.

Is there anything I can do about it? I've seen suggestions of using the very best media, try using a slower speed, etc, but I doubt very much that this would make a difference, only because my DVDs played just fine until very recently.

Any help is appreciated. Even if you point me to a relevant topic or site with information that will benefit me.

Peregrine

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Really, everything you have said sounds like a typical poor quality media issue. It may be necessary to reduce your target size for your movies so that you don't burn out to the edge. There can be poor die distribution at the edges of the disc which causes the jumps, jitters and hangups at the end of the movie.

3. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Thank you. Perhaps it is the media, but I won't know till my order comes in and I can try the Taido Yuden disks, which I've heard are good. The other thing is that it's not just the end of the disk, it's the end of every episode. So if I have three episodes on there, I start to see problems within the last five or ten minutes of *each* episode, and obviously, not all those are at the end of the disk. How do I know what a good target size is for my TV episodes? Right now they are going straight from either avi to mpeg (minus whatever Nero does to them during the whole process). Should I be using a different process? I know some people make the VOBS with one program, compress them with another (Shrink), and then burn them with Nero. That sounds rather complicated to me.

P