1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs hang-up in playback

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by babakt, Dec 18, 2004.

1. babakt

babakt Member

I've been burning DVD movies for a while, using a lot of different programs and media. Recently I have been having problems with playback. I have a nice, new Pioneer burner and have been using Taiyo Yuden DVD+R (8x), after switching from two other DVD+R formats. The problem I have is when playing back, my DVDs will start hanging-up after some time (ranges, but usually 10-30 mins into the movie). I can take the DVD out of that player, stick it in another player and it will go for another 10-15mins and start hanging up at another spot. Or I can turn off the DVD player and wait a while and start back up at the same spot on the same player with no problem until another 15 mins when it hangs at another area. I've tried them on a bunch of different players and it is consistent. Sometimes they may work, but more often than not they start hanging-up. It first starts with some "flickers" that get worse and then eventually the movie just hangs. Sometimes it may go way more than 10-15 mins and sometimes less. The DVD players range from two new standalone players (a Panasonic and another) to two laptop DVD players, to a portable Panasonic, to an older Sony standalone. Interestingly, the old Sony standalone seems to do the best, but is not immune to the problem. It doesn't seem to be a problem with a spot on the DVD, because like I said, I can turn off the player and back on and the same area that was messed up before will play perfectly.

I always use DVD decrypter to burn the movies onto my hard drive (P4 1.5GHz, 512MB ram, Windows Xp SP2). Then I may use DVD shrink or not. Then burn with either Nero or Ulead (both produce problematic DVDs).

So here are the things I could think of: maybe the DVD is heating up and having problems at that point. But, I allow the player plenty of breathing room. Or maybe it is the +R format? Or maybe I should not be burning at 4x-8x (maybe 1x?). I can't really figure it out. The only thing I haven't really tried yet is DVD -R's.

Does ANYBODY have any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem? Oh, and if I forgot to mention it, I have tried two DVD writers ( I bought the Pioneer dual layer recently, I had a Pacific digital before). And the problem happens with both 4.7GB single layer disc and double layer. Please help!

2. moncsicsi

moncsicsi Member

Can somebody help?!!! I'm having the same problem.

We just got a new Sony notebook that has double layer burner. I burned my first disc (I couldn't wait eventhough I paid almost $14 for the DVD+R DL), ripping with Decrypter and burning with DVDCopy3. We started watching the movie, everything seemed great, beautiful picture all the way up till chapter 33. Then the picture all of a sudden froze. Tried to turn the player (Bose, part of Lifestyle35) off, get to the menu, but the player wouldn't respond. After reading babakt's message, I put the disc in a JVC player. Played just fine.

I was having the same problem with my single layer burner, too. Watched copied movie twice, absolutely no problem. Third time, at a point the picture started getting very pixellated, eventually the picture froze and the player stopped responding.

Is anybody out there who could help? Please!!!! Thanks!

3. aftrmath

aftrmath Guest

i'm having the same problem, any help appreciated

4. DVDProblm

DVDProblm Member

I can play DVD's obtained from the video store, however, when attempting to play DVD's recorded by a friend, the first 13 or 22 chapters play good. I can go back and forth between chapters 1 and 13 with no problems. During chapter 13 the playback gets increasingly hung up.
    The hangups start out lasting a few seconds and progress on to lasting 30 or more seconds. Video and sound are skipped over during the hang as if the data is not read from the drive. The hangups seem to be at some low level in the o/s because they can hang other programs, however when the hangup is over, the other programs can proceed. I have two of these same identical CD's and they behave exactly the same. Both are very clean and scratch free. I tried it in an indentical laptop with identical problems.
    (Sony PCG-GR390, 1.2mhz, 512MB ram, XP SP2 all patches applied)
    However, the "problem" DVDs will play with no problems in a later model Sony laptop and in a standalone player. I suspect the hangups are at the disk drive subsystem level as it appears to also hang programs accessing the hard drive, but not those accessing the internet and the mouse or keyboard do not hang. CPU usage by the DVD player drops to zero during the hang period.
    Any clues anyone?

5. babakt

babakt Member

Okay, I'm not 100% sure this is what is causing my problem, but it looks very likely. I've discovered that DVD labels can cause the problems I have been experiencing. All the DVDs I have problems with are ones that I have lables stuck on. So I am going to have to do some experiments, but I think it should solve it.

Take a look at this thread:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/91060

6. moncsicsi

moncsicsi Member

Babakt,

Not likely. The double layer DVD -I mentioned before- has no labels attached to it, still doing its thing.

....We are not really getting answers, so I'm thinking about starting a new thread with a different title. I can't believe there is nobody out there with the answer.

7. DVDProblm

DVDProblm Member

One possibility is that "home burned" DVD's are harder for the hardware to read. These home burned DVD's would also have stuck on labels as well which might get you thinking that the sticky label is causing the problem when its not related. I'm suspecting that my problem, noted above, could be in the hardware, my DVD reader being an earlier model might have problems with home burned DVD's at the hardware level. The next model computer is reading the DVD fine. The way my computer behaves makes me think that my DVD drive is holding up access to the IDE disk channel from all access while it hangs. Under device drivers | Details the device Instance ID is IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_RW/DVD_GCC-4080N_____0010 etc..
    This appears to be an Hitachi drive according to http://www.gameland.gr/hitachihack.htm

8. colw

colw Active member

This question has been asked and answered many hundred of times - try the search button at top of page for some answers.

Problem invariably due to:
    1. Poor quality media - Ritek, Verbatim or TY's suggested.
    2. Burning too fast (max 4X suggested).
    3. The use of labels on burnt DVD's.
    4. Media incompatible with standalone player.
    5. Fragmented hard drive.