1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD's play fine on Laptop but skips scenes in DVD Player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by be2slow, Jun 18, 2008.

1. be2slow

be2slow Member

Hi All,

I have recently been backing up all of my DVDs onto DVD discs. I did this on my PC with my DVD burner running XP, and would normally test them in my DVD player connected to my TV and it worked fine. However, I bought a laptop, also running XP. I performed exactly the same process on my new PC, using DVD Shrink, as I did on my old PC to rip and burn the discs and it worked fine. I have tried this on 4x and 2.4x. Here is the weird thing:

They all played fine on PC, until put them on to TV DVD Player and found that when I put the disc in, instead of going to the title menu, it would randomly skip to a point in the film. I tried this with three discs (all burnt using my new PC) and they all skipped to some random point on the disc rather than going to the title menu. When at this point, I couldn't skip through the chapters either. On two of the three disc this point was almost at the credits and on the other disc it was in the middle somewhere. I have since tested them on my PC and they do indeed worked fine on it!

I am out of ideas...I do not understand one bit...the disc is fine, it works on the PC, and the DVD player can READ it, but just doesn't play it right.

Could it be the burner itself? Do i need to run additional dycrption software?

Please help!

Garrett

2. attar

attar Senior member

Sometimes, with some media brands, they play ok on the PC, but fall apart on the standalone player.
    I had this happen consistently with 'Ritek' printable disks.
    If setting the burn speed back to 4x doesn't help, switch to 'Verbatim' brand disks - they are consistently good quality.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Check to see if the firmware for your burner is uptodate.
    Find out your make and model number of your burner then go here to see if a newer firmware is available.]
    Firmware page
    If you don't know your model number, report back here.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

ahhhhhh another media problem:

Why is my burned disc jumpy, blocky, skips etc when played?
    There are many reasons why the playability of a disc may not be smooth. The disc could be simply dirty, scratched, etc. It is possible that the type of disc you burned is not a format that is accepted by your player (for example not all DVD players read +R or RW media). There is a lot of poor and good quality media on the market and not every player will read any media. For the last two cases above a computer should be able to play these discs without any playback problems and it is possible on a different player the disc would read back fine, it is just a matter of player/disc compatibility. Some brands we recommend are Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. Another reason why a disc is jumpy, skips, etc. can be low burn quality. Burning at reduced speeds can increase the quality of your disc and make it more readable. If your disk contains video and the playback is not smooth or in black and white, check to see that you have the correct region set for your DVD player (PAL, NTSC or Automatic) and then check to see what format you burned your video. The format of your video needs to be the same as what your DVD player is capable of reading.

Firmware is programming that is inserted into a programmable memory area of your drive, thus becoming a permanent part of a drive. This 'software' is called firmware and can be updated with a firmware flasher. A firmware upgrade can add new functionality to your drive. Also bug fixes and improvements are done by firmware upgrades. It also adds more media codes and write strategies to the drive to improve burning capabilities and disk recognition. Doing a firmware upgrade should only improve your drive.

this is why it's important to keep up with your burner and make sure you have the newest updated firmware for it! Newest firmware and good quality media will stop your problems that you have now.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  5. twosocks

twosocks Member

something similar to this happened to me too. I but a DVD in my player didn't play at all but played fine on my laptop? I feel you man.

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

and the same advice is offered to you, twosocks. just use better media that is recognized by your burner and player! Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim and you can't go wrong. Keep your firmware up to date! end of problem!

welcome to afterdawn.

7. be2slow

be2slow Member

I know it cant be the media...i used the exact same discs 6 months ago on both of my DVD players...and it worked fine. I tried burning on my Desktop, which i've reformatted since last time i've done it, so i had to setup the software again. Only thing that has changed is I used to tuse Nero 6...now i am using Nero 8 the trial version...so if i go back i wonder if that would work.

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

are you using RW disks that can be rewritten on? If so they can be picky and don't last as long as other disks. Or if you are saying that you have a spindle of disks that you used 6 months ago and they worked fine, what brand are they? why am I asking..... because some brands out source their disks to many manufactures. So on a spindle of disks you might have 3 different manufactures so all the disks in there ARE NOT THE SAME. They come from different manufacturers. Is this common? Sometimes. Memorex is noted for this. there are other brands that do, too. So just because your brand worked before doesn't mean they will always work.

what does this mean? if you mean Desktop as HARD DRIVE then I understand you.

changing from Nero 6 to Nero 8 is a big step and I am still on Nero 7.10.1.0 which is stable. I don't know if your version of Nero 8 is buggy or not. but it's worth a try if you still have your serial # for version 6 I would try to upgrade to version 7..... like the one I have. Usually, like 95% of the time, when a disk will play on a computer and NOT play on their player for the TV ........it's a compatible issue! Not a software issue. that's all I'm saying. If you try Taiyo Yuden (found in online stores) or Verbatim (made in Singapore/Taiwan not the ones made in India ---read the lable!) then most of these kind of issues will be a thing of the past!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  9. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@be2slow

Sounds like the version of Nero 8 that you have is buggy, are you using the latest? My suggestion is to use the more stable version 7.10.1.0 as IHioe suggests.

10. be2slow

be2slow Member

Well i can try version 7. I put one of my DVDs on my buddies PC, and WINDVD cannot play it, but Media Player Classic can...which is what i was using to access the DVD. Its strange.

I was talking about my Desktop PC vs. my laptop, sorry for the confusion.

I have to use TDK DVD's, Memorex and also Taiyo, and none are RW, all +R.

Right now I am trying to use AnyDVD to rip to my hard drive, then will use dvd shrink if necessary to compress. I have installed a differant version of Nero 8...and if that doesn't work i'll use 7.

11. be2slow

be2slow Member

I just stumpled upon a forum that said this:

dvd shrink does not work with auto burn and nero 8. You can use shrink to analyze then backup and select a hard disk folder to copy to, then encode to the hard disk folder(you can use the same one over and over it will just continue to replace the files) then go to your nero start smart and open up nero express burn using the video/pictures option and then select dvd video files which is the third option. From there find your hard disk file that you created with shrink and add all the video_ts files and burn. This works perfectly but alas takes much longer to do. This is THE ONLY way to burn using nero 8 and dvd shrink. You can try using nero recode and nero 8 and that will auto burn, or use a different burning software like dvd fab or one of the other recommended burners on this great site.

I wonder why this would be, so im gonna try 7. hope i have better luck w/ that.

12. be2slow

be2slow Member

Just to let everyone know, the problem was created by the Nero 8 burning software. soon as i switched back to nero 7, it worked fine. So if anyone has this problem, downgrade nero.

13. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

hope that you nero version 7 is 7.10.1.0..... this is a very stable version of Nero and the same one I am using.

14. tranft

tranft Member

I had this exact same prob last month and never sat down to fig out till last night. Saw your solution, downgraded Nero 8 back to Nero 7 and it is working. Just wanted to say thanks...!!