1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs Skip

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by earlpeat, Dec 12, 2007.

1. earlpeat

earlpeat Member

I built my computer in January 2007. For many many months, my DVDs played just fine on my computer. (I had my Plextor in my last computer and DVDs played just fine as well.)

(By skipping I mean that both the video and the sound aren't fluid. The skipping is throughout the entire movie and on all DVDs that are played.)

Around the July time frame, my DVDs started skipping. In June, I installed Adobe Premiere Elements video editing software.

I reformatted my computer and the DVD skipping problem went away. Well, I recently installed the Adobe software and then about a month later, the DVDs started skipping again.

Interestingly, the DVDs will play fine (most of the time) when I'm logged on as administrator. When I'm logged on to a Limited account, the DVDs always seem to skip. But, if I run the DVD player software as administrator within a Limited account, the DVDS didn't skip.

I've also run trial versions of WinDVD and PowerDVD and the problem still exists. I also installed the trial of nVidia's DVD player codecs. The DVDs still skipped.

I also changed the sound card to no avail.

Do you think it's a codec conflict of some kind?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Configuration:
    DVD ROM: Plextor 708A
    Motherboard: Intel D965RY
    Processor: Dual Core 1.86
    Graphics Card: nVidia 7600GT
    RAM: 4 GM
    Hard Drives: 1 Serial ATA @ 300 GB, 1 IDE @ 320GB (both Western Digital)

2. onya

onya Guest

The faults you describe are often attributable to high burn speeds and poor media. As a test, burn a file that you have done before that skipped but this time burn at 4X speed or even as low as 2X. It's very important you RE-BURN a known file that has skipped, as it's your "control". The cost of a disc these days is almost negligible, so fluffing an occaisional disc is often not a biggie. Hopefully this will get you sorted, if not..... post back asap and let us know what's goin' on.

3. earlpeat

earlpeat Member

onya,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that the DVDs are commercial DVDs rather than burned DVDs.

- earl