1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs suddenly unreadable

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by garfunk, May 22, 2006.

1. garfunk

garfunk Guest

Recently I wanted to view a DVD I burnt a couple of months ago. Now they cannot even be read in my PC. I have found out that a majority of DVDs I burnt within the last 4-5 months to even one month ago are no longer readable by my computer, Sony DVD player, or PS2.

I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-107D burner with the most updated firmware, 1.22

I used a 50 pack spindle of Verbatim DVD+R, max burning speed 16x

I burnt all of my DVDs at 4x

The burner itself have probably burnt ~300 DVDs in its lifetime, if this information helps any.

Earlier DVDs I have burnt less than a year ago still work, but those that are burnt fairly recently are unsuccessful. The most recent DVDs I burnt (last week) are still playable. However I doubt their lives can last more than a month with this sudden observation.

Any help will be great! I'm truly disappointed that almost 100 DVDs of mine have gone to waste, with data irrevocably lost. I'm unsure if the problem lies in the media or burner.

2. guyrus

guyrus Guest

you do realise that if the discs arent stored properly , away from sunlight etc they arent going to last, and after saying all that well they only have a life of say 2-3 years anyway.It just means you are going to have to either keep an avi file of them some where or back them up more often.

have you tried using isobuster to see if it can recover the data to your harddrive and then reburn to another disc

3. garfunk

garfunk Guest

Yes, I do realize that DVD media stored incorrectly can cause data loss. I keep all of my DVDs in a closet away from sunlight, moisture, etc. The unreadable ones are intermingled with some that can read, and those that are readable were burnt either much earlier than those that are "lost", or they were burnt just a week ago (which I suspect will result in data loss within a few weeks if this trend continues). I can attest that my unreadable DVDs are not from storage issues.

I have not heard of Isobuster. I might check into that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2006
  4. guyrus

guyrus Guest

heres some info for you on it.

[bold]software description:[/bold]

The Ultimate CD and DVD data recovery tool !

Rescue lost files from a bad or trashed CD or DVD !
    Save important documents, precious pictures or video from the family, your only system backup, ...
    IsoBuster can do it all !

One tool, to support all formats, for only one very democratic price.
    No accumulated cost if you need more than one type media supported.

IsoBuster is a highly specialized yet easy to use CD and DVD data recovery tool. It supports all CD and DVD formats and all common CD and DVD file-systems. Start up IsoBuster, Insert a CD or DVD, select the drive (if not selected already) and let IsoBuster mount the media. IsoBuster immediately shows you all the tracks and sessions located on the media, combined with all file-systems that are present. This way you get easy access, just like explorer, to all the files and folders per file-system. Instead of being limited to one file-system that the OS picks for you, you have access to "the complete picture". Access data from older sessions, access data that your OS (e.g. Windows) does not see or hides from you etc.

Combine this all-revealing functionality with far better read and recovery mechanisms, scanning for lost files functionality, workarounds for a wide range of drive and software bugs, limitations or shortcomings and you have an enormously powerful data recovery tool. IsoBuster is must-have-software for every PC user and is deliberately kept low priced to be able to offer a solution for everybody.

and a download link for you

http://www.smart-projects.net/download/

5. garfunk

garfunk Guest

Thank you for this information. I will try it as soon as I get this problem figured out (or if someone knows why this problem is occuring...)

Backing up my DVDs at the moment will not help. I'm unsure if the problem lies with my Verbatim media? My Pioneer burner? If I burn something now, it's likely that it will become corrupted a month later; that is my guess. :(

6. guyrus

guyrus Guest

have you a log file we can get deciphered for you, plus a log of what discs you currently have

no probs on the recovery tool, i have had a 60 -40 success rate so who knows it may work for you as well

guy

7. garfunk

garfunk Guest

I pinpointed the problem: Most likely my Verbatims are from a corrupt batch, unfortunately. I now installed IsoBuster, but it cannot recognize some of my DVDs. It reads Blank DVD+R. However, one of the DVDs can play on my Sony set top. This is odd, but I still would like to make a backup of this.

8. guyrus

guyrus Guest

if you can get a read, you should be able to make a backup.

9. garfunk

garfunk Guest

I will most definitely try again tomorrow. My computer seems to be better able to read discs right after a restart.

10. guyrus

guyrus Guest

ok , let us know how you go

11. garfunk

garfunk Guest

Alright, I got the backup.

Now I have a completely new problem, which I desperately tried to find help in the following thread:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1460

I'm just really afraid that doing what they tell me to will permanently make me unable to boot up my machine, and my friend advises me not to touch that stuff.

Can anyone help me on this?

12. guyrus

guyrus Guest

do you still have nero on your pc as well as imgburn?

13. garfunk

garfunk Guest

Yes, I used Nero. Still a "Power Calibration Error"

Anyway, I used a DVD+RW (INFODISC) and it worked with ImgBurn. Strangely it still doesn't work with my RITEK R03. I decided to just buy Taiyo Yudens online and wait until they ship to me and try again. They're supposedly the best media. I'm very disappointed overall with this experience and hope everyone should learn that bad media is just bad media in general.