1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvds to coasters

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by kelum400, Oct 18, 2004.

1. kelum400

kelum400 Member

I am having difficulty with backing up some of my dvds in my collection.
    My process: dvd decryptor-dvd2one-nero...memorex 4x dvd+r, sony dw-u18a
    upon playing the copies in my dvd player (for my tv)
    most of them catch at some point and the dvd cannot continue playing...some, however, glitch for a second and then continue playing...
    I have yet to make a perfect copy after about 15 tries...
    have tried multiple dvds to make sure that the dvd I was copying wasn't scratched.

2. colw

colw Active member

Memorex media is of very variable quality - not recommended by most members of this forum - try better media e.g., Ritek or Verbatim.

Ensure that you do not use labels on your burnt DVD's

3. kelum400

kelum400 Member

have begun to think that memorex may not be the disc for my system...however, I have a friend who uses the exact same procedure/disc (only a sony 4x burner, same software, of course different computer components) and he has a very high success rate....
    never-the-less, new media is on its way...

4. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

The problem in these cases is usually the standalone DVD player. Some are more "picky" than others about the quality/brand of disk used.

As colw suggested, use the brands recommended.

5. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

Better yet, in my opinion, get a DVD player that isn't so finicky. I use the JVC XV N40 and have good results with most media. also, do the DVDs you have burned play on your computer or do they skip there, too?

6. kelum400

kelum400 Member

Purchased new verbatim discs...dvd seemed to work great until 2/3s of the way through the show where it started glitching again...
    I have never played the whole dvd on my computer but it seems that they play well in the computer. will have to check out computer play...

7. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

Hi. If by 'glitching' you mean you can see white squares and blotches where colors (i.e. information) is clearly missing, then it's probably your discs. If you can play the entire movie on your computer, then, obviously, it is more likely that your DVD player might be the problem. Good luck.

8. kelum400

kelum400 Member

glitch...meaning, movie pauses (momentarily or permantently) and a few small lines(horizontal) and/or squares show up on the screen...
    Next step (after work)..play entire DVD on computer...

All the input is much appreciated...

9. kelum400

kelum400 Member

Hmmm... tried out a dvd that played ok (for the most part) in my stand alone and played without a blemish in my computer dvd player....
    stand alone dvd player junk? (was purchased 3 months ago)

10. teefaukep

teefaukep Member

Hi, maybee it's really a problem of your dvd-sa. Does the disk become hot while playing? On my player this is the cause for strange behavior while playing very long movies.

11. kelum400

kelum400 Member

I have problems with playing on my dvd-sa at almost anytime of a movie (2min to the last few min of a movie)...
    my next step is to take a copy(one that has been troublesome) to a store and play it in a few of the upper $$ dvd players...

12. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

Stand alone DVD players are problematic - I did a lot of research before buying the one I did because I had one before and it would not play DVD/Rs. A lot of good things have been said about Sony models - but research into which DVD SAs play DVD/Rs will yield the information I think you need.

13. kelum400

kelum400 Member

When I purchased my dvd-sa it advertised that it would play dvd+-r...however, the player was only around $65-$75...did I get what I paid for????

14. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

Not at all. There are many DVD players of varying prices that claim to play one format or another and actually can't. I reviewed whatever published material I could find before buying my JVC because many machines claim to be compatible with whatever format and then don't deliver. I think somewhere above this post people talk about the make/models they have that work - I know a couple Sonys got good marks and they were cheaper than the one you purchased. Good luck.

15. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

16. kelum400

kelum400 Member

BURNED A 8X MEMOREX -R AND IT PLAYED PERFECTLY IN MY SA DVD-PLAYER....PERHAPS I HAVE FOUND THE CORRECT DISC FOR MY SETUP......