1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs to my Archos AV480

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by GuybrushT, Aug 10, 2004.

1. jsharper

jsharper Member

I dunno, but why would you buy software when you can pretty easily copy DVDs to the Archos with free software (dvddecrypter, autogk, and divx).

2. Odraode

Odraode Member

Hi all,
    a propos of my Archos.. something went wrong yesterday I was renaming files using USB connection and computer keyboard... lot more comfortable than fooling around with the internal rename function when something went terribly wrong. I got a Delayed writing message from W£in XP and from then on just could not access my Archos AV420 anymore. Every time i tried to view the contents of the hard disk I got the "Unformatted disk, want to format" message (I would definitely avoid formatting for the time being unless I really cannot do anything else). I have a few digital live recordings that are irreplaceable
    [bold]does anyone know if there is a way I can recover at least part of the data before reformatting the unit[/bold]
    I still did not understand what happened to the AV420 in the first place. The unit is only 3 months old, was charged, and all I was doing was renaming a few files...

I have already tried contacting Archos but did not receive an answer yet. I tried running checkdisk (does not work) norton disk doctor (unsupported format message) scandisk (as above). When I right click on the disk and select properties Windows tells me the disk is in RAW format....
    If anyone could help I would really appreciate it
    Thank you in advance

3. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I am not sure about how to fix the problem...

Although, there is a program that MAY help to recover your lost files... It is called "PC Inspector File Recovery"... It can recover files even after you have emptied them out of the recycle bin.

I am not sure about a corrupt hard disc though?

4. denzil645

denzil645 Guest

hello everyone ..

i'm new to all of this and i just purchased the gmini 400. i've been able to download music with no problem, but when it comes to the dvds i'm nearly ready to pull my hair out. can someone please explain to me (step by step if possible) how do i convert my dvds to avi. i downloaded the divx program, vdub and the archos translator and i absolutely can not figure out what to do.

i've tried serveral things, but it's just not working! i need someone to break it down in plain english for me so i can start enjoying my dvds like everyone else.

please HELP!!!!!!!

5. jsharper

jsharper Member

use DVDDecrypter and AutoGK together to go from DVD to a DivX AVI. The AutoGK website has specific instructions on how to use DVDDecrypter with AutoGK.

I don't know about the gmini, but with the older firmware for the AV400, you needed to pick CBR mp3 audio (try 128kbps), use DivX over XviD, and in Step 3 of AutoGK, select a Target Quality percentage instead of a Predefined Size or a Custom size (this makes sure it is a 1-pass, simple-profile divx encode)

6. denzil645

denzil645 Guest

thx jsharper for your assistance. i already have dvddecrypter, but where can i download AutoGK from?(cnet downloads maybe?). i'll have to give this a try and maybe i can be successful.

7. jsharper

jsharper Member

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  8. denzil645

denzil645 Guest

hey it's me again, the newbie.

i finally figured out how to convert my dvd into divx avi files using decrypter and autogk. my problem now is how do i tranfer these files to my gmini 400. are there any gmini 400 users out there that can lend some input? HELP!!!

9. Crzunch

Crzunch Member

Im going to Purchase a Archos Av480. Can anyone tell me if you can easily copy over already made Xvid , Dvix, and SVCD video files over to the AV480 with no audio or video problems? even with the latest Firmware/Driver updates, which i belive was march 8 2005.I dont wanna have to hassle with Re-encoding my own Dvds i just have most them already ripped into Xvid or Svcd because i have no DVD player on my own computer, Ihear great things and i hear bad things from all sorts of forums, i just want a Hassle if you know what where im coming from, if you dont im a NEWB to stuff like this and i dont wanna be pulling my hair for a 700 dollar item only to be frustated if anyone has suggestions or wants to contact me to make it easier for me if i do have to Re-Encode my AIM name is Bfavre43xmvp Thanks to anyone out there that can help

10. Aiolos

Aiolos Member

Hi all,

I am one step away from purchasing the Archos AV480 and i was
    wondering if it has the ability to read and play the subtitle files.

I have in mind the way Windows Media Player (and many others as well)
    works. If you have the video file and the subtitles file (e.g. .srt, .ssa etc) in the same directory and with the same filename then the player reads automatically the contents of the subs file and displays them.

Does the corresponding video player of the Archos AV480 have the ability to do the same?

Of course i'm not talking about the case where the subtitles are embedded in the movie file.

Thanx in advance,
    Aiolos.

11. raz_1234

raz_1234 Member

Well, it does not support any type of subtitles....

12. Aiolos

Aiolos Member

So you mean that it does not support external subtitle files at all?
    Too bad news for me :(

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  13. Crzunch

Crzunch Member

I thought u attached subtitles kinda like a ID3 tag

14. raz_1234

raz_1234 Member

I don't know of a way to show subs from another file. You need to integrate them first on the computer....

15. Odraode

Odraode Member

[bold]For Denzil645[/bold]

If I understood you question correctly then you simply turn on your Archos and your computer, plug in the USB cable. Once your computer has recognized you Archos (Win2000/XP do this automatically win98 needs drivers) you simply copy the file you created from your compter and paste it into the Video directory of your Archos. That's all.
    Enjoy

16. Odraode

Odraode Member

[bold]Help requested from an audio-sync guru[/bold]
    Hi all. I've been trying to shrink and make portable a couple of neat DivX movies from approx 780 Mb - big screen resolution to 320 x n .. approx 400 Mb just right for the Archos screen (why waste space).
    First problem. One of the DivX movies was not playable on my Archos right away.. I had to pass it through Dr. DivX.
    After I did this, the movie was playable but the audio sync went worse and worse as the movie played on.
    I tried to resync it with virtual dub but failed to get a decent result. If the movie is in sync at the beginning it gets terribly out of sync afer a while (I'm talking about seconds!).
    Is there a fast & easy way to do this or is it out of the question?
    Any help will be appreciated
    Thank you all

17. raz_1234

raz_1234 Member

hi, to make things work better go and update your firmware to the latest version, that solved most of the audio problems I had.

18. rabuska

rabuska Guest

hey all, I don't know if it will work for everyone, but after I upgraded the firmware to the latest version audio sync problems are simply a thing of the past

19. rabuska

rabuska Guest

hey all, I don't know if it will work for everyone, but after I upgraded the firmware to the latest version audio sync problems are simply a thing of the past

20. m_arkyb

m_arkyb Member

could someone please help i have just bought a archos av420 and need help in getting dvds on it i have dvd decrypter and dr. divx could someone please help and give me a step by step guide how to do it