1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdsanta 4

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by darth88, Apr 17, 2005.

1. darth88

darth88 Member

hi there
    i am trying to convert avi to dvd. i do all the basis steps then once i am done click on create media...when i do this a window pop up saying dvdsanta has a problem and there are 2 buttons below the window one says report to microsoft and the other don't send i click dont send but the converting process is continuing still but it seems pretty fast then normal(usually slow, takes time)

do you know what is the problem causing this?
    and do you think i should be worried?

2. wajax

wajax Member

you haven't seen the numerous warnings on the web regarding dvd (ripoff) santa -i mean . however when you say you are trying to convert avi to dvd i'll assume you mean mpeg 2 . i haven't ever used dvd santa but this rule applies to any re-encoding A) it is a slow process and even slower if you don't have a fast pc example - a 2.5ghz p4 400fsb will take about 30-45 minutes to re-encode ,a 2.8ghz p4 800fsb hyperthread will take about 15-25 minutes to do the same hour and a half movie .
    b) are your video properties the same - there should be a video options button where you can define the output size of the movie - example when you click on the input video and read it's properties it should list things like ... 720x480 , ntsc, 29.997 fps , 500kb\s numbers will be different depending on your recording .. but the output properties should be set to the same thing as the input video -including audio (unless there is a real need to convert it ) if the 2 properties are different then the encoding will take even longer - if dvd santa has no way of providing you this information - then that is just another stain on an already stained program ...

if have some bucks to spend - i would reccomend nero 6 ultra edition - you can try the full program and features free for 30 day's and contains an application called recode 2 and has the options i described above - i have used programs like adobe and ulead dmf3 disc creator - and now i am hooked on nero - other usefull programs are video redo it is excellent for editing out commercials of tv recordings and fixes the audio video sync issues that sometimes happen when you capture from cable or sattelite - not sure if you are into that but just thought i'd throw it out there for anyone who has a sync issue and if you find some discs that you have already made you can rip them back to your pc in file mode (dvd decrypter) and use video redo to fix the problem . they also offer some of the best product support i have ever seen on the web .

okay enough said --- phew ---LOL