1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDSanta

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Ricky53, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Ricky53

Ricky53 Member

I recently purchased DVDSanta. Everytime I create a photo slide show project and try to burn the DVD, it goes into the encoding phase and locks up my computer. It will work okay if I only have around 10 pictures in the project. Any help is appreciated.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Ricky53,

What are your PC's specs ?

3. Ricky53

Ricky53 Member

Thanks, it has a AMD Sempron 2500 processor,1.76 GHz,256 MB of RAM. Another note is, that if I don't exceed 4-5 pictures (JPEG) in the project, it works okay.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Ricky53,

Me thinks it probably is your RAM being a bit overloaded during encoding. What you need to do (fingers crossed that you're running XP as an OS) is to go into msconfig, startup, disable all, Apply, OK, OK to reboot. This way you'll free up every bit of RAM that you have so you'll have more to do the encoding. Then, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR PC DURING ENCODING. You don't have enough memory to even think about multi-tasking.

For your next birthday, ask for at least, another 256MB of RAM to help you along :)

Give that a try and see how you make out –

Pete

5. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

If you can't buy more RAM, you can increase your pagefile size to increase the Limit value

Right click on the taskbar and click Task Manager. In the Task Manager, click on the Performance tab. Look at the entries in the Commit Charge frame. The Peak entry gives you an indication of the maximum amount of memory used by your computer since the last time it was started. The optimum amount of RAM is equal to this value (assuming the computer has been running for a few days and you've run your typical programs during that time). See the Limit entry. This is the total of your RAM and pagefile. The limit should be at least twice the Peak value.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@jizmak,

Now that you've dazzled our poor Newbie, we need to explain that this isn't really a solution. Otherwise, pple would all have 128MB of RAM and then "adjust" it to One (1.) full GB of RAM by enlarging one's pagefile -

If you were to read your own post, as someone without any computer savvy at all might read it, you just might interpret it as saying, "with just a couple of mousie clicks, you too can have a full GB of RAM without any cost at all". Give it a read and see if you don't feel the same way -

Ya see ? Now we need a clairification :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  7. Ricky53

Ricky53 Member

I appreciate the help each of you have given. I've done exactly what you said and it has helped me to run a larger project. However, I am going to purchase additional RAM next week and see how that works out. If I have additional problems, I'll give ya'll a shout. Thanks, again.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ricky53

If you follow my suggestions you should be able to burn alright when your RAM is freed up then you'll know for sure that it's the problem.

For sure it's part of the problem - a total of 512MB of RAM s/b fine.

Cheers,

Pete

9. Ricky53

Ricky53 Member

Well, I'm back. I've added an additional 512 MB of RAM for a total of 768MB and DVD Santa still locks up my computer when encoding. I'm stumped!!! Any help would be appreciated.

10. NeilJ

NeilJ Guest

Although I appreciate the info you have been given is good, have you tried the support for DVD Santa. I have tried emailing them on several occasions but have not had a single reply. I am not able to get the speech into sync with the lips. It annoys me that they don't seem willing to support their software as they should. With this in mind I wouldn't recommend anybody buying it.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ricky53,

Well now that you've covered your RAM issue (512MB is an excellent number for you :) I guess what we should do is look at dvd Santa -

I don't know if you are aware but it's encoder isn't among the best. Nero is a bit better and we can use it for 30-days for free Soooo, let's give that a try, OK ?

Since you weren't all that clear on what you were doing, this should cover it all ~

Here's the basic download for Nero's new Photo Show Elite (for digital pics) ~

http://ww2.nero.com/us/Nero_PhotoShow_Elite.html

For Nero Basic, with all of your necessary burners and the ability to download the rest, here ~

http://ww2.nero.com/us/index.html

And for all the other programs i.e. NeroVision Express, which will encode Photo's to different formats To Nero's PhotoSnap and Nero's PhotoShow Express to do everything you could possibly wish to do with your photo archives -

http://ww2.nero.com/us/nero-up.php

Let me know how you made out, OK ?

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  12. Ricky53

Ricky53 Member

Thanks for the info, Pete! I'll try that this evening when I get off work. I really appreciate your help! Neil, I've also tried to contact DVD Santa support and have not received any help from them.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'm sorry to say but a lot of these 1-click-wonders don't do well in the support catagory :(

"P"

14. Ricky53

Ricky53 Member

Hi, Pete. Downloaded and tried the Nero photo slide show elite and I still lock up the computer when it starts encoding. I also tried Photo2DVD and it does the same. It has to be something with my computer. Any ideas would be appreciate. Thanks

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ricky,

Encoding it a processor tasking job - Again, make sure you have everything in msconfig turned off - you have not mentioned doing anything about it those times I have suggested it -

Also, make sure that your PC's fans are not obstructed and that the processor fan (if you have one) OR the heat sink (if you have it) is clean and free of dust and dirt. Physical cooling is as important as free memory.

Report back,

Pete

16. Ricky53

Ricky53 Member

Hi Pete. Got it fixed! My video card drivers were "incompatable" with the card??? I had a virus a while back and this may have caused the problem. Installed new drivers and works fine now other than DVD Santa(still locks up near end of encoding). I really appreciate the help I've received on this forum. Keep up the great work!

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Way to go -

I'm glad you found it -

Hey, hey there fine friend, it's not time to leave just yet, hang out iffin you have the time, snoop around on some of the other forums, checkout the "Safety Valve", there's usually something in the "Wacko" category going on there - OR check out our forums on Home Theater components, CD's, PS2, X-box or Gamecube topics or even Cellular phones – there's something for everybody :)

Always feel free to stop back here at "Newbie Central," help someone else OR pickup a few more pointers or tricks to make your work a little easier and your computer work a bit better ~

(NO, somebody isn't coming by your house to type for you. That guy is booked up until somewhere around mid-June, 2009) I was suggesting something in the line of a shortcut we may have come up with (it happens from time to time) OR a new proggy you might want to try - Ya never know . . . .

We'll lQQk for you later, OK ?

Till then, Sea Ya ~ ~ ~>

Pete :D)