1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdshrink compression issue

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by emeralds, Oct 6, 2008.

1. emeralds

emeralds Member

i downloaded the hcencoder as suggested but just left the folder on my desktop. i never did anything with it. what am i supposed to do? and will i need to rerip with dvdfab?

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

It already comes with HC.
    When you open Rebuilder, click on the Mode tab. Is HC selected?

3. emeralds

emeralds Member

yes "HC mode"

4. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

What version of Avisynth do you have installed?

5. emeralds

emeralds Member

apparently i uninstalled avisynth. it was i think the first thing i downloaded after dvd rebuilder and after fab and imgburn thought that about covered it. reinstalled now. should i give the backup another go or is there more to be done?

6. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Try it again. It comes with Rebuilder so if you don't have it, it will install it.

7. emeralds

emeralds Member

oh and it's 2.5.8 RC3

also a dvdrebuilder question: i downloaded menushrink as suggestion by one of those guides but am seeing DVDRB has a "steal space from the extras" option. since i want to keep audio/animated menus anyway this seems like the more ideal option than removing the above and keeping the quality of the actual extras. if i select say the 33% option will it automatically do this when i backup or was i supposed to do something to enable this before backing it up with dvdfab?

8. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Only on the extras. Not on the menu.

9. emeralds

emeralds Member

so i'm close to a couple hours in and only at about 65%. it's quite the process considering the dvdfab work took i believe around 45 minutes and i'm sure the imgburn should take another 20 min or so i'm assuming? all in all about 5 hours of work compared to the one hour to dvdshrink.

if the quality shows then i won't complain, but i do want to ask again about the dvd5 vs dvd9 rip. i did i believe the dvd9 (whichever takes longer/more space). is there much of a difference between the two and will choosing the smaller one cut the amount of time this takes a good amount? i don't have the most state of the art tv/dvd setup so i feel like i could be wasting time for something i can't appreciate.

10. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

One program it transcoding and the other is encoding.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You can do both and compare. The real test is when there is a good amount of compression.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

what CPU do you have ?.
    Rebuilder can take a helluva lot longer than Shrink/DVDFab but it's output is infinitely better than any other program out there.. Mine's a Quad Core Q6600, and I'd literally just posted similar info here -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/708029/4310114
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/708029/4310139

DVD-9 is for Dual Layer discs (which are unnecessary as DVD Rebuilder produces such amazing quality that Dual Layer discs just aren't needed). I use only DVD-5; i've never wanted or needed Dual Layer discs.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  12. emeralds

emeralds Member

so is the fact that i ripped dvd9 to be used on a non-dual layer disc going to create a problem?

13. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Not at all!

14. emeralds

emeralds Member

[16:07:23] PREPARE/ENCODE/REBUILD completed in 200 min.

ouch. so this should cut down some next time when i rip in dvd5?

and the dvdrebuilder guide doesn't offer instructions to imgburn after you're done with rb. can someone tell me what to do from here then?

15. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

You're doing it the correct way. Now just burn the new files.
    I haven't used the free version in years. I'm not sure if you can burn directly with ImgBurn.

16. emeralds

emeralds Member

so dvdfab rips the actual dvd into a folder.

dvdrebuilder takes that folder and creates a new folder, which is the "destination" folder, the files that are going onto the burned disc.

is that correct? just trying to get a slightly better understanding. and what is the "temp" folder for?

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

You got it...
    the temp folder is exactly that, a working folder used until Phase 3 ie Rebuild, when the output folder starts being built from the working folder..
    I have my working folder and destination folders on different discs, saves a bit of time.
    But the 200 mins isn't to do with DVD-5 or 9, it'll be to do with whatever CPU you have..

18. emeralds

emeralds Member

thank you thank you guys. twas a success. will definitely be dumping dvdshrink for this.

two last questions however.

in that dvdrb guide under the steal extras section: it says "*CAUTION!!! Don't use this option with "Episode" DVDs!!!"

i assume this is referring to tv dvds, which is mainly what i burn. i was just curious what the problem with this was.

also when burning with imgburn it popped out after reaching 100%, then a alert box came up prompting me to close to push the dvd back in and the it started over again. is there a way to bypass it popping out the first time if i can't be around the computer to push it back in?

19. emeralds

emeralds Member

one more: i'm attempting to burn another and i'm getting this after hitting backup on dvdrb:

advisory: the input directory is already small enough to fit on a dvd-5. no compression is necessary. continue anyway?

what do i to make it back up with no compression then?

20. Vulcan94

Vulcan94 Member

What would happen is this. Let's say I'm going to make a back up of one of my X-Files DVDs. Now this DVD has 4 episodes on the disk. With the steal extras enabled DVD-RB would steal space from episodes 2,3, and 4 to be used for episode 1. With a Episode DVD, DVD-RB doesn't know that it is stealing from the other episodes. It thinks that it is stealing from the extras just like you wanted. So you would end up with a backup that the first episode looks great and the rest of the episodes suck.

Vulcan94