1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDX (good...Bad?)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by KonaBoy, Oct 11, 2003.

1. KonaBoy

KonaBoy Member

What are the downfalls of DVDX? I know a lot of people like the free programs, but where I am everone says that this software is pretty good... why? And if it's a good program what ver. is the best.. oh ya what the hell is "burn on the fly"?

Thanx guys... Afterdawn rox!

2. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well I don't think DVDx suits this forum but anyway...

DVDx is a great free program with which you can encode a DVD To VCD,SVCD,DivX,Xvid or whatever. As a free program it has some problems, but especially if you have PAL DVDs it works kust fine.

Many commercial programs are based on DVDx, some of them (DVD Copy Plus I think) even contain the installation file in the package and tell you to install it!

Just download and try it, you have nothing to lose.

Burn on the fly is when you burn directly from a CD/DVD to the blank media without storing it at the hard disk first.

3. koola

koola Guest

DVDX is ok and a good all rounder, but DVD Shrink is better for DVD-R.

4. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

DVDx is an awesome program for DivX, VCD, or SVCD. I used it right from the first versions that were released, and by the time v2.2 was out, the NTSC bugs were no longer a problem for me.
    I don't see what would be wrong with using the program for DVD, but if your source is a DVD, there is little need for re-encoding in the age of compressors like DVDShrink and DVD2One.

5. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

I've used DVDx (version 2.2) alot to convert dvd's to (SVCD)mpeg2's. It works well...heck....I've never had it NOT work right. Be sure and use a frame rate of 30fps if you want high quality video output. The only drawback I've had with it is the time it takes to encode. For a typical 1:45 long movie it usually takes me around 5.5 hours. However, tiz my understanding that all encoders take hours to do their thang since they encode each frame individually. Hope this helps.