1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDXCopy and Shrink/Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by robtwilk, Nov 24, 2004.

1. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Can Shrink and Decrypter be installed on a PC with DVDXCopy already installed? Will these programs interfere with XCopy? Does Decrypter use a Patin Couffin engine?

XCopy has worked moderately well for a long time, but lately I've created too many coasters. Maybe I need to try something new?!

Thanks!

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

there shouldn't be any problems.

3. regor

regor Regular member

I have them all installed, plus some, and no issues to report (knock on wood).

[added commentary] btw there is an xcopy forum on AD in case you weren't aware - check out the posts to see if your issues apply. Depending on your version, there mayhap be an update, i.e. from whatever to 4.0.4.15 as example.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  4. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Thanks - actually I posted this first to the xcopy forum and was asked to move my question here.

I have a problem with many backups where the copy plays, pauses, skips, plays, pauses, skips, etc. I have eight players (mostly Sony) and one of the Sony's will play most of these bad copies with no problem. I was using xcopy platinum for at least a year with fairly good results, but still a lot of coasters.

Today I tried CopyToDVD and DVD Decrypter and got exactly the same result as xcopy. The backup of "The Terminal" plays, pauses, skips through the entire movie. It's more like a slide show! Do you know what causes this issue? Is it the decryption or the burning to DVD software? It can't be the media or the burner, because they produce many perfect backups.

Most movies work perfectly, but one of five have this problem. It's always the same movie, not it works one time and not the next. Basically I will not be able to backup "The Terminal".

I have a Sony VAIO 3.4 ghz, Sony DRU-700A burner, 512 memory, running XP MCE. Using Memorex 4x and Verbatim 8x +R media.

5. regor

regor Regular member

Hi robtwilk - It has nothing to do with the movie, I have backed up The Terminal (Tom Hanks flick, right?) successfully with Shrink and burned w/Nero.

It appears you are using good media but try burning at a lower speed than the media is rated ex: if 8x burn 4x, if 4x burn 2x.

Do you have any blacklisted programs running, like screensaver or virus scan or sw that has dma access to your HDD or DVD. It's a good idea to temporarily stop thes types of programs that can effect IO operations.

[added commentary] Watched the movie (copy). Pretty good. Oh yeah, no skipping :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  6. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

regor - thanks for the suggestions. I adjusted some of the settings in Shrink and installed Nero 6 that came with my burner. I have backed up about 7 of my DVDs since, with perfect results.

The first two I used Decrypter then Shrink (cause I didn't know any better), but the other five I just used Shrink and had no problems. I will only use Decrypter in the future if I have problems.

So far I have used my Verbatim 8x media with Shrink set to max write speed - so far so good! With XCopy I was having to use some of my old Memorex 4x discs just to slow down the burn speed.

I can't believe it took me this long to convert. XCopy was expensive and gave mixed results. My movie collection is now safe from my kids!

I thought I read that Shrink can copy parts of one DVD with parts from another DVD (like if I wanted to take to take a music video from one and a music video from another and back them up to one DVD). I can't figure out how to access two sources...any ideas?

Thanks!

7. regor

regor Regular member

Hi robtwilk- Happy to hear you found (or corrected anyway) your burn issue.

As for shrink's mixing... I've not heard of that but you can do that with Nero, and other programs. All of this takes practice (trial and error) but I'm pretty sure there are 'howto' guides on AD. Happy searching.

R

8. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

regor - I found my answer using Shrink's "Help" then "Guides". Doom9 is the guide I choose and they have a section at the very bottom that mentions "joining multiple DVD discs to one DVD±R". I followed this link and read the instructions. It's very simple.

One more question - I thought I read that Decrypter works in the background once it is installed. Is that why Shrink works by itself or have I just not come across a DVD that needs Decrypter's help?

Thanks again!

9. regor

regor Regular member

Hi robtwilk - Decryptor's DVD burn function works in the background if you use it for Shrinks burning tool. But since you have installed Nero it doesn't matter. If you want to use Decryptor to burn you need to deselect the 'burn with Nero' option in Shrink preferences.

Best. R

10. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Makes sense - thanks again!