1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDXCopy Plat vs. DVD Shrink? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Floydio, Jan 23, 2004.

1. chicowrx

chicowrx Member

so the link on your reply that links to a download page for Nero 6.03 (I think thats what it says) will be ok as far as having a version that supports the dvd writing .. I just got done on the other link you gave me for the dvdshrink info.. I went through the tutorials and they are awesome.. I'm familiar with Nero anyway but they were great thanks a lot.. I think I have nero ver 5.9.xxx and I think I just got 6.0 express with the burner that I bought so that should be ok right?

Thanks

2. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Yep, they should be ok. ;)
    I'd suggest you update your Nero Burning Rom to the latest v5.10.x though, as it was said to create more compatible backups.

3. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

ive made about 100 copies with dvd shrink- stick with it- its free, it doesnt put its own lable on the disc, and the compression is good quality and very fast, you can even cut out certain chapters that have bad content or cut off the credits to save compression. cut off unwanted audio tracks and subtitles- also movies that are on 2 discs like gangs of new york can be put together on only 1 dvd. (also good for short movies like animes and stuff) AND ITS SOOOOO EASY TO USE!!!! my cousins husbands got x copy- why blow $130 on a program when a free version does it better? he says its crap and that it has to reconfigure your system to work!

if your thinking about getting it for the dvd rescue program DONT theres a freeware program called cdcheck that does the same thing ^_^

4. chicowrx

chicowrx Member

Hey everyone... I downloaded dvd shrink and I copied my first movie last night.. 40 days & 40 nights.. I tried every way possible to burn it with X Copy Platinum and had no luck I even tried X rescue with no luck. So needless to say I'm happy with shrink so far especially because its free. I'm a little confused though.. I opened shrink and selected "open disk" it then showed me 40days/nights on my dvd drive and I hit OK it reads the disc and brings up the next screen that shows the folders for main menu and the movie etc.. I notice the top right has a slide bar for compression and its set to auto when I move the slide bar the colored bar at the top goes into the red does this mean that I'm compressing it more which will compromise the quality or does it mean that it won't fit on one disc because its not compressed enough? and lastly I hit Backup it then reads the movie and says encoding or analysing after it completes that process it wants me to insert a blank and then it copies it and the copy turned out great.. I thought that it would encode the movie and store it on my hard drive (which it did) and then I would have to open Nero to copy it.. I didn't think shrink would do it all? am I confused on how this process worked or did I miss a step? After the backup was complete all of the movie files were left in a folder and I opened nero, tried to drag all the files to the "video" foler (I selected mini dvd in nero and the layout had a audio and video folder) then selected burn and the end product wouldn't play maybe I did something wrong.. anyway this is a lot of garble and questions so if I posted it all in the wrong forum sorry but any info or feedback on this story would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any help in advance.

5. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

the bar on top tells you how much you can fit- if a part of the bar is red- that means its too much for a disck to hold

when you hit backup there are little tabs on top of the window that comes with it. - mess with those- there should also be a pulldown box that lets you select burning with nero, or making a hard disc folder.

i hope i helped

note- if you dont want extras, just the movie in best quality, go to "reauthor" and just drag the file underneath "movie" and it will copy just the movie in the highest quality.

6. chicowrx

chicowrx Member

Thanks for the fast reply. you did help, I'll play with it.. what about how I used nero to try to make another "backup" and how it didn't play, any ideas?
    The other thing that I can't figure out is that I'm using the TDK indi 840 which is 8x4x12 but its capable of burning 4x media at 8x speeds...I could only get platinum to burn at 2.4x which was frustrating but 321 studios said that since the drive was pretty new maybe platinum couldn't take advantage of the speed or something.. although shrink sees what type of drive it is and Nero does too but when I copied that mov last night it only wrote it at 2.4x ? weird I can't figure it out the machine can handle it, its a P4 2.6 512 ram 100 gb free hard drive.... ? any ideas?

Tim

7. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

it could be the media that you used- did you use a different blank than usual caus some lower brands dont label there burn speeds

sorry if i sound like a weirdo- but are you from new york- i think i know you

8. chicowrx

chicowrx Member

I tried Liquid Video and Ritek blank DVD+R's and they both seem to be burning slow.. although I had a TDK 4X burner (440n) and it would actually burn my stuff at 4x no that I've upgraded to the 8x burner it seems that I have downgraded as I'm burning slower using the same media as I was before.. no I'm from N. California......

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello CHICOWRX this is for ,check out this site!!!It is the best DVD Shrink guide I have ever used(ENJOY).It will show u how to do a full backup or just the movie.Just a suggestion put your blank DVD in before you start anything.DVD Shrink will even burn it for u With Nero

www.dvdshrink.info/reauthor_intermediate.php

10. chicowrx

chicowrx Member

Thanks! I'm going to check it out right now ... I'm sure I'll still be able to come up with a few more questions for you pro's though... thanks for all the help

11. chicowrx

chicowrx Member

Ok.. I followed the whole demo up until the end..when you're in the dialog box for "backup" .. it says "Burn with nero to the following device" and hard disk folder is selected can this be my dvd writer instead of the folder? I'm assuming yes because in this case the folder is selected so that a backup could be made at a later time?.. then the other box says "select target folder for DVD output files" I'm sure its easy and I'm looking right past the obvious but what does that mean? lastly there is a checkoff box that says create Video_TS and audio_TS subfolders.. now I know that when I've been in Nero and selected Mini DVD (which also is confusing because there is no icon that just says DVD in the menu when I try to do a new compilation) the resulting layout has 2 folders already in place one saying audio and one video.. I'm sure this has something to do with that but after reading the faq and checking out a few demos its still a little unclear to me.. thanks guys~

12. chicowrx

chicowrx Member

I just figured out the answer to my own question about the box to check for create audio_ts and video_ts folders...

13. calibrate

calibrate Guest

I own both DVD Xcopy Platinum and DVD Shrink. I have never had a problem with DVD Xcopy. It always produces a copy and I have never had a coaster. I am very adept with computers and I don't mind a few extra manual tweaking steps to produce results (like DVD shrink) however DVD Xcopy is very easy to use (just a few clicks to copy a DVD).

DVD Shrink does the job but it takes it a lot longer to copy a DVD movie. I can decode and burn the copied DVD movie with DVD Xcopy in under 36 minutes after the word "go".

DVD Xcopy Platinum Pros:
    Very fast.
    Simple to use.
    No coasters.
    New patch enables customization of copied content like DVD Shrink can.
    Did I mention very fast!
    Free patch updates for life.

DVD Xcopy Platinum Cons:
    Very expensive $130.00 on up depending on where you buy.
    I've heard that the software can be rendered inoperable via the internet by 321 Studios upon a court order if used for making illegal backups and selling them etc.

DVD Shrink Pros:
    Free!
    You can manually customize what content you want on the final copy (the new patch for DVD Xcopy does the same thing now too).

DVD Shrink Cons:
    More manual work required to produce a copy.
    Slow compared to DVD Xcopy.
    More steps required to produce a copy.

14. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

yeah but DVD Shrink has better quality than x copy when you use deep analysis and by tweaking with it you can lower the compression even more by cutting audio and sub modes and cutting credits

15. Doctorbug

Doctorbug Guest

I'll tell you all this and I aint no quack....I have 7 computers and 21 dvd players and 8 dvd burners and have taken back to refund my $$$ 20 or so....X copy is good..but youll never get your rebate....shrink and nero together compare the same with results...as long as I use a +r in my Dell/TwinSony DRU510"s no coasters..Instantcopy is good but slow and +rw's are recomended to save on coasters.I like the Liteon 451s the best...411s is junk!!!...Sony510 external is great too...Digital reasearch 8x is no good and sony dru530 8x is the worst I have ever delt with...I have a double stack of the liteons and a double stack of the 510...both ran with external lite on readers..on my hp and my Dell#2..using the sony external body...and they ROCK....my hp ze5470us laptop is slow shrinking/encoding with shrink 3.1+'s...but xcopy is quik with on her...recordnow/veritas...not sonic recordnow it sucks, will clone anything with 321xcopy...dont give any money to dvdtwoone they tried to scam me and I had to call the credit card to get them...the sonic 2x's dvd-r on shop4tech.com are great at .55 each..they wrote at 4x's always...no coasters and all plays back sweet...so happy dvding its a cakewalk....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2004
  16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello to all!!!!Has anybody had any Problems makeing a copy of your copy made with any of the DVD Xcopy's.
    I've tried! All I get is Coasters,after about 75% of burn.I get error Burn failed

17. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

dammnit use DVD Shrink!

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

DamIT!!!!IDO!!BUT I HAVE SOME THAT I USED DVDX COPY!!AND I WANT TO MAKE COPIES OF THEM
    BUT I CAN'T.DAMIT,DAMIT!
    I WAS JUST HOPEING SOMEBODY KNEW A WAY TO COPY THEM I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING THAT I KNOW DAMIT,DAMIT.I'M ON MY LAST RESORT HERE I'M TRYING CDCHECK,AS WE CHAT.HOPE IT WORKS DAMIT,DAMIT.

19. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

dude, chill out- use dvd shrink to rereip the copy- cause xcopy puts its own anti copy thing on its copies so its like an origional.

20. Yordan

Yordan Guest

Hi,guys
    I`just downloaded DVDShrink 3.1.6 and I`ve been looking for the option to split the movie over two disk with no compression but so far no success. Could someone tell me how it is done.