1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDXCopy Plat vs. DVD Shrink? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Floydio, Jan 23, 2004.

1. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

get symantic internet securtiy- comes with anti virus- fire wall- and ive not had a popup sence

2. Yordan

Yordan Guest

Hi,guys
    I`ve been using DVDShrink for a while now and I have erased DVD X Platinum and Express from my machine, Shrink is so much better... Could someone tell me what is the difference between DVDShrink 3.1.6 and DVDShrink beta 3.1.7
    Thanks

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Good question I've used them both they work.I think I read somewhere that the Beta is experimental.So maybe somebody is just playing around w/Shrink & trying to carry on W/improvements.Don't take my word though

4. PCNetGuy

PCNetGuy Member

I have > 100 DVDs created with DVDXCopy (Express, Gold, & Platinum) --

Easy CD Creator v6 copies the copies JUST FINE!

5. brent1a

brent1a Member

Yordan-
    DVD Shrink v 3.1.7 now has the ability to rip a dvd directly to an ISO file. It does not require an add-on of mkisofs (AutoShrinkISO) anymore. That is the main improvement, I believe. I'm sure there are also many bugs worked out.

6. deepsh1t

deepsh1t Member

Nero Recode will not rip copy protected discs. Anyway way around this?

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hey deepshit!Use DVDShrink
    Or instal ANYDVD it removes all encryption

8. cowfuton

cowfuton Member

I noticed when I burned a DVD with Xcopy, the quality is almost the same as the original. Its close that you can't really tell the difference. But using DVD Shrink, if you need to compress data, you lose some quality. This is what I have seen.
    But DVD Shrink, still rules!!

9. calibrate

calibrate Guest

I agree. DVD Xcopy produces very good results and is much, much, much quicker than DVDShrink. I don't like DVD Xcopy's NAG screen on the copy however but you can manually get rid of it. The new DVDShrink now burns the DVD too making it a great alternative to laying out cash for DVD Xcopy. I use both depending on the results and time that I have.

10. Sublimer

Sublimer Member

Since Dvdxcopy plat does indeed make better quality copies, i use it usually and shrink at other times...But i have a little problem with dvdxcopy, can anyone help? It's simple, i want to burn dvds that i have ripped to my hard drive but once i click "advanced" it asks to insert a dvd and the "Browse" button is not available (dimmed) to search my hard drive. any advice?

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If DVD Shrink works why bother paying for something that is an unknown to you and won't improve on what you have? "If it ain't broken don't fix it." For those of you that are recommending cracks, using illegal serial numbers, and downloading movies should remember that you can be banned from the forum for it.

12. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Sophocles i'm a person who actually bought 321 platinum and dvdx rescue when it came out.Granted, initial platinum results were better than what i expected ,i found i got disallusionsed with the software after getting small glitches with the program and very unhelpful customer service from 321 studios australian branch.I did try then the sneak peek preview of clonedvd2.The results are very close to platinum and this is a program that i would probably buy, but unfortunately elby doesnt have a shop in aussie land (did email there customer service branch).So now i'm using shrink and tmpgenc and i still get very good backup copies.

Arkfeld : a good program to stop popups is zero popup
    from www.tooto.com
    this program covers popups,floating ads,banners ,spyware,messenger ads etc

13. Violator7

Violator7 Guest

DVDShrink and Xcopy Plat and it's all good. I used both. DVDXcopy Plat. is just one-click but takes a while. Y u wanna pay when DVDShrink is free.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I realize that a number of people purchased 321 studio's product. I was only stating that if something works then why pay. The other part of my post was just a reminder to those that were suggesting illegal serial numbers and cracks. I don't just use DVD Shrink I also use DVD2one 1.4 because it allows for rejoining of split movies. I picked up a copy of intervideo's DVD copy express for $16 at Sam's club and with DVD Decrypter ripping it too works just fine and of course I burn them all with Nero. All of the software I just named works as well and probably better than 321 Studio's solution.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson
    [/small]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I forgot to mention that Newegg.com is selling a 50 pack of Ritek Go4 (4X DVD-R)media for $39.99 including free delivery.

16. waichung

waichung Member

I'm a newbie to all this, really struggling to get this working.

Managed to rip my dvd to my hard drive as VOB files using DVDShrink.

Now I need some burning software to burn to disc. I've tried bith Nero and DVD XCopy Express, but can't get them to work.

Nero Burning Rom - I've tried version 6 Ultra Edition, but it didn't have the drop down box with the DVD options. Is this based on your serial number that you put in?

DVD XCopy 3.2.1 - doesn't let me select the files from hard drive, so each time you need to rip the DVD first then copy to disc immediately. But my PC crashed after just 10 seconds of burning to disc.

Please help. I'd like to use Nero Burning Rom, but don't get why i cant access the dvd options

thanks

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Do you have a paid copy of Nero? If not go on the net and get yourself a full copy, Nero Express 6X can be bought for as little as $9.00 or in some cases $10 shipped, and it will do all that you will need until you are more familiar with the software. DVD Shrink will start Nero automatically if you have it set it to. Open Shrink and at the top choose edit, then preferences and then File I/O and at the bottom left you will see a small box that allows you to check enable burning with Nero. After you've done this then start Shrink (guides are availble on afterdawn web site) once shrink has ripped and compressed your dvd then Nero will start autimatically and burn for you.

18. waichung

waichung Member

Unfortunately not. I'm not sure about paying for it, as i'm worried my equipment is not quite good enough.

I'm using Freecom External DVD Writer with my laptop which is only a AMD Duron 800mhz, 256mb, 5-6gb disc space.

thanks for your help

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You'll need more hard disc space and you'll need to make sure your hard disk is defragged. It will take you longer to comress but I think that you can do it. Nero for 10- bucks is not an enormous investment and when you decide to move to a more potent PC you can take it with you. If you want to try burning first download a copy of DVD Decrypter and get a type 5 dvd which requires no compression (4.37 gigs max). You can find a type 5 (title of movie) by just surfing the net or asking on this forum. DVD Decrypter can burn a type 5 DVD so you won't need Nero. I began compressing into mpeg4 (DiVx) which demands much greater computer processing power with a 233 meg mmx pentium and 256 megs of memory which took 5 to 7 hours. Shrink requires less than that and you should be able to get a back up in under 2 hours.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: May 19, 2004
  20. waichung

waichung Member

Thanks,

I will give DVD Decryptor a try.

Do you know whether I can burn from VOB files already compressed on my hard drive. Or if I need to make an image of the dvd along with the VOB files. That I surely won't have enough disc space for.