1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDXCopy-useless, what can I use now?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rodeh7, Jan 31, 2005.

1. rodeh7

rodeh7 Member

OK so DVDXCopy is now useless. I can't backup The Forgotten or Resident Evil 2. I read all the posts and tried AnyDVD and DVDshrink. All are fine except that you need Nero to burn which apparently you have to pay for now. I guess they saw an opportunity to exploit users of DVDXCopy and pulled their demo copy. Is there any burn engine out there I can try first before kicking out the $ ?

2. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Try DVD Decrypter it is free. DVD Shrink can be set up to burn with DVD Decrypter automatically.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Did you try Anydvd running behind your X copy program. I read some are having success with that setup. My next suggestion if that doesn't work would be CloneDVD2. Anydvd works great with Clonedvd2. They never let me down yet. Its not free but well worth the money.

Jerry

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Not true of course. You can use DVDD to burn with and it is a FREEWARE.

Check the guides in my sig . . . .

5. rodeh7

rodeh7 Member

Just want to say thanks for all the info. Guess I was crying like a baby there for a while. Boo-hoo my DVDXCOpy doesn't work anymore. HEY! Who needs it! All the suggestions worked. It's not as easy as X copy was. But it's not that much harder either. Thanks everyone!

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

rodeh7,

We thank you for your apology -

I was doing some checking and I agree, XCopy does look pretty and it looks easy while the other proggys we told you about look hard on the surface BUT I did some checking and -

I compared DVD XCopy to DVD Shrink using either DVDD, Nero OR CopyToDVD in the "auto-writing" mode and here's what I found :

The difference between DVD Shrink and DVD XCopy

DVD XCopy clicks -

1, "Is this a rental or borrowed DVD."
    2. "To use this program you must agree to respect the rights of the copyright holders.
    3. "Movie Only" OR "Entire Disk"
    4 "Start"

DVD Shrink clicks -

1 "Open Disc"
    2. "Backup"
    3. "OK"

Final score: 321 XCopy, 4-clicks Vs. DVD Shrink, 3-clicks

Shrink is faster, easier and with a better quality copy :)

Also, It's not time to leave just yet, hang out iffin you have the time, snoop around to some of the other forums, checkout the "Safety Valve", there's usually something in the "Wacko" category going on there - OR check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even Cellular phones.

Always feel free to stop back here at "Newbie Central" and pickup a few more pointers or tricks to make your computer work a bit easier –

(NO, somebody isn't coming by your house to type for you. He's booked up until June, 2009) I was suggesting something in the line of a shortcut we may have come up with (it happens from time to time) OR a new proggy you might want to try - Ya never know . . . .

We'll lQQk for you later, OK ?

Till then, Sea Ya ~ ~ ~>

Pete :D)

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

rodeh7 DVD X COPY PLATINUM with ANYDVD or DVD REGION+CSS running in the background work on any of the movies you listed. I know you guys arent big fans of dvd x copy but it still works well on most any dvd and i think its very easy to use.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

aabbccdd,

We all have XCopy, I would say 99% of us - We put up with reconfiguring our entire PC just so that DVD XCopy would work. There's no other program that conflicts with so many other things as does Platinum DVD XCopy. The DVD XCopy "Black List" covers almost 2 full pages and, in too many cases, requires that we change the way we can use our PC's just so that XCopy will function "most of the time." We all were where you are now, working with XCopy with all of it's problems, we just grew -

I still have the original 321 XCopy, the very first Xpress AND I have a Platinum 4.0.4.15 version to boot. All I can say is that by using the better encoding (slower) option and it's quality settings, DVD Shrink produces a higher quality backup than XCopy and it's still cheaper, it's still FREE. As for ease - after setup, it takes DVD XCopy 4 mouse-clicks to backup a DVD and it takes DVD Shrink just 3 mouse-clicks. All in all, If you're happy with your XCopy, fine, use it BUT don't entice those Newbies who are just beginning by trying to convince them to purchase an out-dated, discontinued product. By posting to tell pple how "wonderful" XCopy is and how it rips where others fail (where it is in fact, AnyDVD or program like it, that's doing the job) you "sell" unsuspecting Newbies on a crappy program that you, like the rest of us, were stupid enough to buy. There are many, many pple who will listen and, because they know no better, will spend their hard-earned $$$$ getting ripped off. We got ripped off and so did you - you know it and want some company at the bottom of the well you jumped into - Stop it ! Because you bought an out-dated, unsupportable, never to be improved upon piece of low-grade software is no reason to be an ass and promote the sale of a discontinued product to our new friends just starting out in the DVD video world..
    Newbies, if you want to buy a product, at least buy something that's up-to-date like AnyDVD, DVD2One, CloneDVD2, CopyToDVD or the like - Something that has a reputation. Don't be fool enough as some were to buy a washed up program, spend your money wisely.

Cheers,

Pete

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Dont Use or Buy "DVDXcopy" it ruins drives BURN IT!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

ScubaPete... good point man i didnt mean to hit a nerve with x copy but iam pretty new here to and have only backup about 200 or so dvds and the x copy is easy to use for me to start out with. I also use dvd shrink , dvd decrypter and anydvd using it more as time goes by and dvd x copy less .So iam sure i could learn alot from you but if you could be postive and not rip my a@@ about it .it would help everyone in the long run.Teach my freind ,teach in a postive way.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'm not ripping a#@ss at all. What you fail to see is the fact that for everyone person posting here there are 25-pple reading. These pple don't necessarily read an entire thread (much as pple don't who post), they pickup a piece here and a piece there - many times meaning that 4 + 4 = 16.

A good point would be Larrylje posting what he did - Trying to be funny OR being a smart a#@ss, the Newbies don't see that, they just see, "Burn DVDXcopy Burn" and think that because the tag "member" is under his sig what he's saying must be the truth so off they go to buy a discontinued item.

Think of how you would feel, trying to obtain info on the correct media to burn, all you see, scattered about was false information on Great AZO. Pple purchased it and because they lost $$$$ they thought it would be kweel if they could convince others to buy rotten discs too. Anyway, so here comes you, money in hand and you toss a cool $100.00 for a bunch of lousy discs that you can't return, that burn for sh#@t and suffer memory loss within 6 months - How would you feel ? Here you came looking for the best and you got . . . what . . . ?

There was a time, almost a year ago when I was talking with a Mod and he told me that on that evening, at that time, there were 125 members posting and almost 20,000 pple "lurking" - reading. Where he got those numbers, I don't know BUT he had no reason to lie to me - we were pretty good friends then . . . Just think for a second, 125 to 20,000. Think about that . . . Ask yourself, why does Pete jump to clarify something - I have other things to do. Tonight I have 88 emails, I could be answering them BUT I'm here - trying to tell you that a few words can be taken way, way out of context and Newbies can easily be mis-lead.

If you were buying a car, you wouldn't buy one with 150,000 miles on it as opposed to a brand new one – Why, because you know about cars – Newbies are here because they don't know about out "cars."

Is it that important to make others invest their money as we did, poorly. You say you are using XCopy less - Well we did too - soon you and others like you will discover many different proggys that do such a superior job that one day, you'll be sitting in my chair, telling others not to push lousy software when there is so much better out there. Stuff that's up-to-date.

Just because we were screwed doesn't mean we need to help screw others either knowingly OR unknowingly –

Ask yourself, the product is obsolete, out-dated, will never be improved, only "left-over" copies are being sold, TDA's aren't available for "tough DVD's" – would you buy it today for $100.00 PLUS when that money could buy you –
    1. AnyDVD (works on 100% of all encryptions) $39.99(USD)
    AND
    2. CloneDVD2 (works easier than XCopy and faster too) $39.99(USD)
    Plus
    3. DVD2One (excellent encoder, unparalleled for episodel work) $39.99 (euro)
    OR
    4. Nero (The complete Nero Ultra edition 6.6) – 9-proggys) $59.99 (USD)

AnyDVD
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

CloneDVD2
    http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_dvd/download.html

DVD2One
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd2one.cfm

One final note – I think we all agree that DVD XCopy cannot rip today's DVD's. So, not only are you buying a discontinued item BUT, you're buying one that won't work unless you buy another ripper program boosting your $$$$ outlay even more –

Those are my thoughts -

Let's draw it to a close - I think you'll do what's right, most of our members are pretty good guys and not pple who get joy from screwing others -

Pete

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

4 + 4 =8 not 16

hehe J/K ScubaPete

@aabbccdd

ScubaPete dosent rip peoples A$$ he is a very helpful knowledible person in this chat room so listen to what advice he has to offer. he knows his stuff.

P.S. I was trying to be a smart A$$ but wasnt meaning to Burn with DVDXCOPY I ment to BURN IT! DVDXcopy runied 1 of my drives and ruined a friends drive by locking up during the burning process. Guess I should have been more specific. I stand corected now.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Its cool guys no more DVD X COPY to advice people i promise.glad to be part of the gang also you guys are great.And i have lots to learn so i try to read most of your post Pete. So keep up the good work my freind.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I agree with Pete, the price on XCopy is ridiculous. But with the PsiDOC patched XCopy programs, the "browse" functions, so users can use the free DVD Decrypter. PsiDOC's patches can be found at http://www.dvdripforums.co.uk . AnyDVD rips for any program. But it is retail as Pete pointed out. Nowadays most encoding programs require a good ripper. Even the ripper in the popular freeware DVD Shrink has become obsolete to the point it needs a ripper for some of the newer movies. So, if you have XCopy there is no reason not to use it. Even no reason not to say it is easy to use. But it's not a good idea to suggest someone get it, because it is obsolete and over priced.

I've seen the so called black list. It's part of a service bulletin. It lists programs that can cause a conflict, but not in all cases. The biggest flaw is shared by most DVD recording apps. They don't work good in the presence of batch writing software. Note most people say don't use InCD from the Nero suite or Drag to Disk from Roxio. That isn't just for XCopy. Anti Virus software, how often have I heard of a number of programs suggesting it be turned off, not just XCopy. In the end, much of what bothered XCopy bothers other programs as well. I owned the program and the only program I had a problem with was Drag to Disk in Roxio. I didn't even have to delete it. All I had to do was turn it off. My anti virus didn't bother it and I could leave it on. What a lot of people didn't seem to notice was that the program didn't work quite so well with minimal system resources. It worked a lot better with a P4 1.8GHz with 512MB RAM than a P3 750MHz PC with 256MB RAM. So, success with XCopy sort of depended on the environment it was used in. Other than turning off one program, I never had any other problems with the program and I've always had a large number of other recording apps on my computer.

Do I use XCopy much anymore? No, I've moved on to better programs that have been developed recently. DVDCopy3 by InterVideo is one of the easiest, fastest, and best transcoders on the market now. And when quality is the object and time isn't a problem, RB/CCE is the best encoder I've found.

15. terri1208

terri1208 Guest

please help, i have dvdxcopy platinum, having problems, want to change. I am confused. do I need anydvd, shrink, and the decrytor? help

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Do you have burning software such as Nero6? Did you use the Simple mode such as DVDxCVopy Express?
    Are you trying to find software similar to this?

If you do then you might want to use DVDShrink along with DVD Decrypter which are both freeware or DVDShrink with AnyDVD running in the background. Even if you don’t have burning software such as Nero6 you can use DVD Decrypter for both ripping and burning along with DVD Shrink.

17. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

I am having no problems using AnyDVD with DVDXCopy Plat.
    Question
    I already own the NERO package.
    Would it be wiser to use DVD Shrink with Nero instead?

Also does anyone know how to spped up a conversion from MPEG to DVD? I am using Nero Vision Express and it takes 7 1/2 hours to translate 7 mpeg files to a DVD. Is there anything quicker?

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

For the most part my family prefers when I do a full backup from a DVD-9 to a DVD-5.

Bottom line... I’m lazy sometimes also so I used the Express mode of DVDxCopy Platinum. Fast, easy, but some problems here and there with hang-ups in the chapters or pixilation problems. Not to bad but sometimes...

NOT ANY MORE!

Now using AnyDVD or DVD Decrypter along with DVD Shrink and Custom Compression with Menu's and Extras and leaving the Main Movie alone plus removing unwanted foreign audio, all my copies have been Flawless.

When I want movie only with menu’s I follow ScubaPete’s guide using DVD Decrypter along with Recode2. They also come out perfect. Either way you can’t lose.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  19. brobear

brobear Guest

PvtJoker
    Only if you're having problems. Shrink does work with DVDR9 and XCopy was designed solely for DVD5. You can start working with Shrink; it's free and is a good learning tool. Guides at http://www.dvdshrink.info (virtual with pictures) and a more comprehensive one at http://www.doom9.org .

20. brobear

brobear Guest

@terri1208
    You appear to be a bit confused. AnyDVD is a driver type decryption tool. Read the product description at http://www.slysoft.com . AnyDVD and/or DVD Decrypter need to be used with both Shrink and XCopy. XCopy and Shrink are both transcoding tools. The Shrink is a bit more up to date, but as long as one is doing DVD5 both are decent.

If your problem is with newer encryption, then you will have a like problem with Shrink. both have obsolete rippers. If the problem is one of system compatibility, then Shrink is the more friendly of the 2. Shrink is free. But for a superior transcoder I use DVDCopy3 from http://www.intervideo.com . It uses AnyDVD http://www.slysoft.com or files ripped with the free DVD Decrypter http://www.dvddecrypter.com .