1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvi cable with hdtv cable box from cablevision?????

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cnj10801, Feb 14, 2005.

1. cnj10801

cnj10801 Member

was wondering if anyone could lead me in the right direction. in two days im getting a hdtv box from cablevision installed. both my components are being used so I noticed I have a dvi input also on the back of my hitachi 50v500 widescreen digital tv. does any one know what cable i am to buy, would like to have ready so the tech can hook it up for me. i have looked at dvi cables, but i guess some are for analog, some digital, some 24 pin, some male or female. any hep in the right direction as to getting the right cable would be much appreciated! thanks

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What two devices are hooked up via component cables to your tv?

3. bpitt

bpitt Member

I have Cablevision in the bronx with an HD box. The other day I had cablevison over to repair a signal problem and asked the tech about dvi because I remembered reading that dvi was not working on cablevison boxes. He confirmed that for me and said that the dvi output is not active on some hd boxes. He took a look at my box and said that I had a hd box that did not have the dvi active. I have not invested the money in a dvi cable yet so I have not tested it myself but if I were you I'd call cablevision and make sure that you get a hd box with an active dvi output if you intend to you it.

If you do hook it up this way let me know how it looks. I currently have my hd box hooked up via component and am curious about dvi. Thanks

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Hook up your dvd player with a dvi cable if possible. A lot of dvd players with dvi can help upconvert 480p to 720p or even 1080i. You can always invest in a component selector if you don't want to upgrade your dvd player.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  5. MarkGil

MarkGil Member

Those DVI cables are not cheap,but I believe they are all compatible.However,you will not notice that much difference between DVI and component from your cable box. A better use of your DVI input would be an "upconverter" DVD player,,,or future(real)High Def DVD player. If not using your component inputs for high def now,You might consider freeing one up for the high def cable box.

6. bpitt

bpitt Member

As I have learned recently, there are some DVI cables as low as $15.

7. miketazz

miketazz Member

cablevision and comcast dont have the lic. agreement to use the DVI outputs they are programed inactive if you get the newer motorolla box from cablevision those boxes do have DVI active

8. bpitt

bpitt Member

I had a cablevision customer on another forum site confirm that DVI is in fact working. Send me a private message if you want a link to this info.

9. thor999

thor999 Regular member

not that they offer anything great, they have a "decent" package so far as dvi is concerned, I am very impressed with the hd image from VOOM you get some pretty high powered dishes, and the dvi output is fully functional. If directtv digital is dvi output, I think I would rather have that. Can an hd upconversion dvd player (short of a 1,500.00 denon) truly match the resolution output of this setup? I doubt it, save the dvi for either your video card out (Very nice image on my 55" mitsubishi rear projector!) or reciever with dvi and hd capabilities.