1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI - HDMI = HDCP Problems?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by SkyDomain, Apr 22, 2007.

1. SkyDomain

SkyDomain Member

I have a HTPC computer in construction and right now I only use a VGA-link, but I seen the difference from my standalone DVD player which is a HDMI player that sends out a 1080i signal to the Tv.
    I seen these DVI->HDMI cables that seems like a good thing to increase the resolution to 1080i from the computer as well. But I ran into some worries on the web, people told me I cant do this since my GeForce 6800 Ultra isn't HDCP compatible.

But from what I been reading I should not have a problem playing back non HDCP-protected content, cause why should the HDCP prevent me from watching unprotected material?

Good advice on this issue anyone?

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

There are two modes for HDCP equipment. Some only work with HDCP equipment. Others will work with both unless the source content is copy protected. To get pass a lot of issues with HDMI+HDCP a lot of products this year only word with HDCP certified equipment so you will have to investigate.

Ced

3. SkyDomain

SkyDomain Member

But my standalone DVD player is HDMI and is has not HDCP.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

HDCP doesn't affect the use of non-copy protected content.

You will run into problems playing copy-protected content. Like I said some equipment works with non-HDCP hardware until compy-protected content is being transmitted. Even still DVD players can still work but will not up-convert the picture. The same is true with component video. Only older 1st gen up-convert DVD players allowed up-conversion over Component Video (or a non-HDCP capable connection).

Ced