1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvi problems

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jus2slo, Mar 6, 2005.

1. jus2slo

jus2slo Member

i have a 52 inch rca hdty monitor and the samsung dvd player with hd upconversion on it. when i hooked up the dvi from dvd player too the t.v. it looks like crap. i tried in every mode 480p, 720, and 1080i with no luck. i looked up my sspecs for the t.v. online and it does support progressive scan and i turned progressive scan on the dvd player and still no luck. could this be a compatability problem? any suggestions?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Is this the only video cable connected to your tv from the dvd player? When I hooked my buddy's system up, I used a regular composite cable to operate the dvd player options on the dvd player.(I also hooked up the DVI cable) Once I set the dvd player to output video through the DVI output, it gave me seconds to ok it before it went back to composite. The thing you have to remember is to also set the tv to accept the dvi signal. Once you set it up this way, there is no way to view the video from the dvd player other than the dvi cable. Make sure to set the tv to dvi input when you are using the dvd player.

3. jus2slo

jus2slo Member

i have the component cables hooked up also. the dvi to the dvi input on tv and component to component 1 on tv. i use the component output to see the menu then switch it to dvi, then switch tv to dvi so i can see the menu to select yes for the dvi option. the component output looks so much better than the dvi output. the dvi output has noticable fuzzyness as compared to the component output. i even tried swithing to mode a, and mode b.

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Then stick with the component cables. My friend has a sony and the picture on that looked awsome with dvi(even though I hate projection tvs). Save that conection for another device like your computer or satalite/cable box.

Just out of curiosity, what movies did you test when you hooked up your dvi cable?

5. jus2slo

jus2slo Member

spiderman 2 x-men 2, monster inc., pirates of the carribean, i robot, star wars episode I and II and a couple others. which sony does ur friend have?

6. jus2slo

jus2slo Member

oh buy the way the picture was the same way when i hooked up the dvi on my hd cable box from time warner

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

fusk, my last reply didn't go through. Here we go again

He has a sony LCD rear projection(don't know the model #), but was surprised that it had a DVI input rather than a HDMI. Monster cable makes a great DVI cable. Though it is expensive, it is guaranteed to give you a great picture. As far as the cable you have now, can you exchange it for another. Maybe the one you have is defective. Just so you know, cheaping out on cables will give you cheapy results on your audio and video.(I found out the hard way) Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  8. jus2slo

jus2slo Member

i'm runing everything with monstercable, seems like i spend more on cables than the equipment.

9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You should have seen my face when I first bought my surround sound system. I nearly shit when I saw how much I spent on cable alone. It was enough to make the customer behind me say holy shit. It's been years since then and my entertainment center sounds as great as it did when I first got it.
    Like I said, try exchanging the dvi cable for a new one. You never know. Good luck

10. jus2slo

jus2slo Member

well i tried what you said. The guy at best buy let me use the one they was using on their display (much to the dismay of the manager) (the sales guy knows how much i spend there) and still no luck damnit. I guess it is a new player for me. maybe the toshiba or the sony. but thanks for the help.

11. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Did the guy at bestbuy recomend any solutions? It sucks that the manager was suck a dick. The managers at the bestbuys here in O.C. do just about everything short of licking my balls to make sure I'm happy. Hope you have better luck on the next player if you end up going that route.