1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvi to hdmi

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by philly15, Sep 26, 2010.

1. philly15

philly15 Member

just bought a samsung hd tv (http://reviews.us.samsung.com/7463/LN37B550K1FXZA/samsung-ln37b550-37-1080p-lcd-hdtv-2009-model-reviews/reviews.htm) . and wondering if i can watch videos from pc to hd tv via dvi -hdmi.

my computer has a dvi output and the new hd tv has hdmi inputs.

So do i just buy a dvi to hdmi plugin cable? or do i need to buy a dvi to hdmi converter and plug that into the computer and then get a separate hdmi cable and attach it to the other end the the converter and into the hd tv hdmi port?

how audio? will there be audio? my new hd tv has a built in internal speakers. what can i do about audios if dvi-hdmi method doesnt provide it?

2. shenberry

shenberry Member

DVI to HDMI will yeild no audio with any converter.

It doesn't really matter you can get the dvi to hdmi adapter, or you can get an dvi to hdmi cable. The adapters are cheaper if you already have a cable.

3. Vector330ix

Vector330ix Member

hate to be disagreeable but yes they do make DVI to hdmi that carries audio

its very similar to the POE injectors for network devices. just injects that audio signal from analog to digital and dumps it into the hdmi. dvi is already digital (we hope) so it doesnt need any conversion.

http://www.buy.com/prod/dvi-audio-s...er/q/sellerid/23413195/loc/111/208047492.html

4. munx

munx Regular member

Mono price has great prices on dvi to hdmi cables. At the price above for the dvi+audio, you may as well just spend a little more and get a soundcard that has spdif out. Stay away from Soundblaster Xfi cards, they will give you nothing but trouble.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010