1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvi vs hdmi

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by vamsilak, Nov 22, 2007.

1. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

sorry in advance
    if it is a repeated question and wrong forum

please help

whats the diff between dvi and hdmi
    alll the dvi are 1080p or dvi is just another lower connection as
    480p/1080i-component-s video-rca's
    thank you very much

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

The High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a licensable audio/video connector interface for transmitting uncompressed, encrypted digital streams. HDMI connects DRM-enforcing digital audio/video sources, such as a set-top box, a Blu-ray Disc player, a Personal Computer, a video game console, or an AV receiver, to a compatible digital audio device and/or video monitor, such as a digital television (DTV). HDMI began to appear in 2006 on prosumer HDTV camcorders and high-end digital still cameras.[1][2]

It represents the DRM alternative to consumer analog standards such as RF (coaxial cable), composite video, S-Video, SCART, component video and VGA, and digital standards such as DVI (DVI-D and DVI-I).

HDMI is sufficient for supporting 1080p at 60 Hz or WUXGA (1920x1200)

------------------------------------------------------------
    The Digital Visual Interface (DVI) is a video interface standard designed to maximize the visual quality of digital display devices such as flat panel LCD computer displays and digital projectors. It was developed by an industry consortium, the Digital Display Working Group (DDWG). It is designed for carrying uncompressed digital video data to a display. It is partially compatible with the High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) standard in digital mode (DVI-D). VESA has approved DisplayPort as the new license-free successor to DVI.
    Contents

With a single DVI link, the largest resolution possible at 60 Hz is 2.75 megapixels (including blanking interval). For practical purposes, this allows a maximum screen resolution at 60 Hz of 1915 x 1436 pixels (standard 1.33 ratio), 1854 x 1483 pixels (1.25 ratio) or 2098 x 1311 (widescreen 1.6 ratio). The DVI connector therefore has provision for a second link, containing another set of red, green, and blue twisted pairs. When more bandwidth is required than is possible with a single link, the second link is enabled, and alternate pixels may be transmitted on each, allowing resolutions up to 4 megapixels at 60 Hz. The DVI specification mandates a fixed single link maximum pixel clock frequency of 165 MHz, where all display modes that require less than this must use single link mode, and all those that require more must switch to dual link mode. When both links are in use, the pixel rate on each may exceed 165 MHz. The second link can also be used when more than 24 bits per pixel is required, in which case it carries the least significant bits. The data pairs carry binary data at ten times the pixel clock reference frequency, maximum 1.65 Gbit/s x 3 data pairs for a single DVI link.

DRAWN TOGETHER Dvi is usually used in more modern graphics card to connect to monitors (LCD) that have a high resolution and a fast response rate (5m),dvi cannot support full hd like 1080(I)(P), BUT ITS MUCH BETTER than vga and is currently the best connect between your monitor and graphics card that you can have,
    this is a pic of dvi
    [​IMG]

HDMI can support full hd like 1080i or p, your xbox360 graphics's connection goes through HDMI, currently i havent seen any computers graphic card/or any other attachment at that, that allows you to plug a HDMI into your CPU, don't get me wrong there is a DVI TO HDMI cable out there, for instance i used one to connect my 360 to my dvi supported monitor
    this is a pic of HDMI
    [​IMG]

this a pic of a dvi to hdmi cable
    [​IMG]

this pic is of a HDMI port
    [​IMG]

if you have any questions just post back
    happy thankstaking
    -tripplite

3. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

cool
    so dvi carry's audio signal too
    or only video signal?

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

no, a DVI CABLE does not carry audio only video, but your answer changes when your talking about HDMI to DVI and DVI to HDMI

5. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

thanlu guys

6. srushing

srushing Member

So I guess a followup question to this, which is relevant for me is that I have an older HDTV (1080i capable) from Hitachi (51UWX20B) (probably 3-4 yrs old) that has a DVI connector, no HDMI. I am thinking about getting a Blu-Ray player and was just wondering if I use a HDMI->DVI cable, will I degrade the video in anyway (sort of defeats the purpose of going Blu-ray huh?)? I do this on my other LCD TV (Olivia 32" which has DVI/HDCP input as well) and I didn't notice any degradation with my Oppo DVD player, but the Hitachi is older. I was looking at the Sony SB300 and it has 1 HDMI and 1 Component output so I guess I could use the componenet, but wasn't sure if I'll lose quality from that option either. Or do I just stick to standard DVD which looks good as well.

Thanks

7. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Component can display 720p/1080i perfectly. You only truly need hdmi if you have a 1080p capable tv as well as devices that can utilze the resolution such as a bluray player. Tv broadcasts are either 720p or 1080i depending on the channel, so there is no gain using hdmi for that purpose, just less cords that can potentially get tangled.

Simply put, unless you tv supports 1080p all you truly need is component.

8. ccbl

ccbl Member

FYI, I've actually come across 1-2 video cards with hdmi out. one is called the 7600 GS by xfx. not the best card.. but good for the media usage part if you're outputting your pc to your tv and only want to use one cable.

anyways.. this is an interesting thread... i didn't realize the amount of different dvi's there is... my impressision of the difference between the 2 is that dvi and hdmi carry uncompressed digital signal.. the only difference is that dvi doesnt carry audio and hdmi does. so if my hdtv has 1080i support and only has a dvi input.. if i hook up my ps3 via hdmi to dvi.. is it actually displaying 1080i? or is that a lie? i noticed both sides are cut off by around 2 inches too which sucks

9. tripplite

tripplite Guest

hmm, i don't see the advantage of having a hdmi female video card, maybe a lighter wallet?(didn't even now they exist)

there is quite a difference between dvi vs hdmi, if anyone needs further explanation id be glade to answer :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
  10. club42

club42 Regular member

Dvi and component can display 1080p.

11. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

That is wonderful....if your tv does not support 1080p it is pointless, as I said in my last post. And as far as component displaying 1080p, only if the media is not AACS protected, then it will be displayed as 1080i. Bluray and HD DVD are AACS protected...so there goes that.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  12. srushing

srushing Member

So just to clarify your last point...if I use component from a BLU-ray player playing a blu-ray movie, I'm only going to get 1080i output anyway. Right? So given I have a 1080i TV, then using component would be fine. I have DVI but if I'm only going to be able to view the movies at 1080i anyway, why hassle with HDMI->DVI cables...

13. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

100% correct. No matter how you connect the bad boy, you are ultimately limited by your tv. Whether you usi hdmi, component, or a dvi to hdmi cable, you will get 1080i. It all comes down to what is cost effective in your case, there is no incentive to purchase extra cables in this scenario.

14. SDF_GR

SDF_GR Regular member

Thanks tripplite that was useful.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  15. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Indeed, great copy and paste from wikipedia lol :p