1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI vs. VGA

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Dapsone, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Dapsone

Dapsone Member

Hello, I have an HDTV that has a VGA input (Vizio VP42) and my PC has an ATI Radeon X850 graphics card which has both a VGA and DVI output.

My question is, which should give me the best graphics output from my PC to my TV?

1. VGA output from PC to the VGA input on the HDTV
    2. DVI output from the PC to the VGA input on the HDTV

Of course I could experiment and see for myself, but this would require me to buy both cables as I have neither at this time; it would be great to get some advice before I purchase anything.

Thanks!

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

IT depends on if the DVI connections is analog (DVI-A) or digital (DVI-D). If the connections is analog then there will not be much of a difference. If the connection is digital then there will a small difference as the bandwith limit required increases.

Ced

3. Dapsone

Dapsone Member

I was thinking about this a little bit last night.

I'm thinking that it would not make any difference at all, since the INPUT on the HDTV is VGA; so, even if the output from my graphics card is DVI-D, I don't see how using this output ought to make much difference; basically as the prior poster mentioned.

And, seeing that a straight SVGA monitor cable is much cheapter than a DVI-A to SVGA cable (I can't find DVI-D to SVGA; prolly because it wouldn't make sense or is not possible to do this), I think the VGA to VGA route ought to be most appropriate.

If there is any other information I ought to consider, I'd love to hear it!