1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e-machine lite-on dvd rw drive is actually toshiba samsung drive?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by kotok, Nov 19, 2007.

1. kotok

kotok Member

I am in the process of trying to learn how to upgrade my dvd rw drive.

I used the Nero Infotool and read that I have a 4.0 lite-on dvdrw sohw-1633 drive with firmware: BGS4

I got the latest upgrade from lite-on which was the BSOY

I have been researching this for a few days and read that lite-on upgrades might create a problem with e-machines (do to stock parts or something along those lines).

So I went to emachine's website and did a tech support chat were they controlled my computer and identified my drive as being a TS-H552B - manufactuered by Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology.

Can this be right? I sometimes get the impression that some tech support agents don't really understand the questions and my computer management window says it is a lite-on drive.

They supplied me with firmware flash upgrade but i wanted to run it by someone else for thoughts and comments.

2. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

eMachines uses whatever vendor they have at the moment. Case in point, my eMachines m6805 has a 5400 RPM HD. The spec called for 4200. I'd believe the info tool before the tech. To be sure you might check with a couple of other tools like ImgBurn and even Widows System.

3. kotok

kotok Member

I checked with discinfo and it also says that it is a lite-on drive.
    Does anyone no how the agent could come to the conclusion after accessing my computer that it isn't a lite-on drive?

agent: The DVD model is TS-H552B and the manufacturer is Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology (TSST).

me: why does my comp say the dvd drive is a lite-on?

agent: Tis is just a model type.

me: not sure i follow

agent: The one I gaev you are the specifications of the DVD Drive itself.

me: so toshiba samsung produces lite-on dvd drives?

agent: Yes

It is my understanding that I can back up the firmware before I flash it w/ an upgrade. I installed LtnFW but am not sure where to find the binary file for the backup. Is it on my computer or do i have to download the file?