1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EAC/ Lame

Discussion in 'Audio' started by foxcom, Nov 21, 2002.

1. foxcom

foxcom Member

I have a descent computer with a P4 1700 and 256 ddr memory and a 40 x Plextor running Windows XP. My problem is that I can't figure out how to make mp3's the right way. I wanna make 256kbs mp3's and still it the bitrate on each song goes from 128, 160, 192 and 256 kbs, and that is not acceptible! By the way the installation is the Chris Myden way. Would it help if I installed Plextools or upgraded the firmware here?

Anyone?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2002
  2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1912

Chris Myden setup uses VBR (variable bitrate) which is recommended. However, you can find all kinds of good settings from that link and place the setting to EAC Compression options->Additional commandline options. (Ignore the other settings)

3. foxcom

foxcom Member

Thanks a lot. By the way why is variable bitrate recommended? I have downloaded a couple of mp3's with variable bitrate that sounded really bad. Can I know for sure that I can trust vbr?

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Variable BitRate is good if done right.

LAME has the only succesful implementation of VBR - LAME has been tweaked especially for that. Huge amount of listening comparisons have been made when tuning the "--alt-preset" settings that you can find at that link.

VBR encoding analyzes the sound signal and decides how much bits it should use in order to get good quality. Sound is complex -> use plenty of bits to keep up the good quality. Sound is simple -> use less bits to save space.

There also is XING MP3 Encodre that uses VBR, but XING is the worst MP3 encoder ever. Also Fraunhofer has a VBR implementation - it is not that bad, but not as good as LAME.

Chris Mydens method is 100% reliable in terms of sound quality. You should get files that are equally sounding or BETTER that 256kbps, yet smaller in filesize.