1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eac set up

Discussion in 'Audio' started by urbantus, Aug 30, 2004.

1. urbantus

urbantus Guest

win xp pro

Im using eac version 095 pb5 plus lame version 3 90 3

Ive set this up by following this guide

http://users.pandora.be/satcp/cd2mp3-en.htm

However I wasnt quite sure about the setting in "Compression Options" for EAC
    what should I put in the "additional command line options"

I deleted the default options and have entered

--alt-preset standard %s %d

Is this correct

Everything seems to work fine and Im getting good mp3s

copy of log here
    EAC extraction logfile from 30. August 2004, 19:33 for CD
    J. J.CALE / The Very Best Of J. J. Cale

Used drive : PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W2410A Adapter: 1 ID: 0
    Read mode : Secure with NO C2, accurate stream, disable cache
    Combined read/write offset correction : 0
    Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No

Used output format : E:\Documents and Settings\urbantus\Desktop\eac095pb5\lame.exe (User Defined Encoder)
    192 kBit/s
    Additional command line options : --alt-preset standard %s %d

Other options :
    Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
    Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
    Installed external ASPI interface

Track 2
    Filename E:\Documents and Settings\urbantus\Desktop\aaa\J. J.CALE\ The Very Best Of J. J. Cale\ [02] Crazy Mama.wav

Peak level 80.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 86E31A68
    Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report

Secondly under options for drives I have
    drive has accurate stream ticked
    drive caches audio data ticked
    drive blah blah C2 unticked

is this ok

thx

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

3. urbantus

urbantus Guest

that guide is nearly 2 years old ie : 12 November 2002

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

and as long as you use the latest version of lame, its still the best.

5. urbantus

urbantus Guest

Will that config work with the latest versions of eac and lame

also does this guide provide the same configs

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yes, i just upgraded to the latest eac and lame plugin a few weeks ago, and it still works great. that guide has links to download the proper config files, which also appear to work fine on the newer versions. there may be other or newer rippers since this guide was made, but its still one of the best in my book

7. urbantus

urbantus Guest

To be honest Im getting really good copies with the basic set up as found at

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/mydeneaclame.cfm
    Thanks for your help tho
    I think Ill upgrade to the latest EAC and Lame
    Are the latest versions as good as the ones I have as shown above

one final pointIn Options for drives
    Im going to uncheck C2
    Should I also uncheck "Drive has accurrate stream info"
    Should I also uncheck "Drive caches audio data"

8. djscoop

djscoop Active member

i'm not sure about those options, i've never tried unchecking them. you can email chris, they guy who made that guide at http://www.chrismyden.com/

he helped me a few years ago when i set it up. you can upgrade to the latest version, but i haven't noticed a difference in quality or performance. the older version of lame may be better because it has been more thoroughly tested.

9. urbantus

urbantus Guest

Sorry to be such a newb but here goes

Secure modes - Secure mode with following drive features (recommended) !!: The extracted audio is checked for correctness and if errors occur, EAC will try to recover them. It is important that the correct Secure Mode settings are used. This extraction method is the preferred extraction method. If your CD-ROM does not work in Secure mode you better start looking for another CD-ROM because perfect copies won't be possible...

Drive has 'Accurate Stream' feature !!: This options should be set, if your drive has an accurate stream, meaning that it won't jitter, thus no jitter-correction has to be performed anymore.

My drive has accurate Stream
    I have ticked "Accurate Stream' feature"

is this correct

Drive caches audio data !!: EAC reads every audio sector twice and compares them. If the two sectors are different EAC knows that a read error occurred and will reread the suspicious sector over and over again until a satisfying result is achieved (or an error reported to the user). If a drive caches audio data EAC will read the audio data from the cache on the second read attempt instead of from the CD. Of course the buffer always gives the same sector to EAC so the error detection no longer works. If the first sector is read incorrect EAC will not detect this as the buffer will give EAC the faulty audio sector twice. Since no difference between the two sectors is detected EAC will assume that the sector is read correct what is obviously not true. In this case the "Drive caches audio data" option has to be enabled, so that EAC will clear the cache by overreading it.

My drive has Caching
    I have ticked "Drive caches audio data"
    Is this correct

Drive is capable of Retrieving C2 error information !!: Some newer drives are able to return C2 error information beside the actual audio data. C2 error information tells the software that the drive detected a possible read error. With C2 error retrieval enabled EAC doesn't need to read all data twice anymore, which will result in a big speedup. But beware, in the drive feature detection some drives will report that they will support C2, but they do actually not. To test this feature more thoroughly, there is an additional test function "Examine C2 Feature..." at the bottom.

My drive has C2
    I have unticked C2
    Is this correct

Sorry to be so fussy
    I just want to be sure Im doing it right

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

sounds to me like that is right...this first option doubled checks every bit of data, whereas the second option compares it to another database?? i would leave that unchecked... leaving the drive to cache in case of an error sounds correct.