1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

easiest (and best..?..) for 2 (or more) DivX/Xvid on 1 DVD with a menu screen to choose which to play

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by andyloc, Jan 1, 2006.

1. andyloc

andyloc Member

Hi

I have several Xvid/DivX files, I want to put these on one DVD, but I want a 1st menu screen which allows you to choose which Movie to play.

I have dvdSanta which does a great job of DivX/Xvid to DVD but it makes them one movie.

I want a choice on a menu screen which to play, its for the Kids, I want a movie which is eg Star Wars 1 and Star wars 2 on one DVD but a menu to choose which to play
    thanks

2. andyloc

andyloc Member

I have tried Cyberlink Powerproducer which allows import of DivX and then allows a menu to choose - great what I want but it doesnt "squash" it down to one DVD-R, it stays at double the size.

I want to be able to fit 2(maybe 3) onto 1 DVD-R, 4.7Gb.

Please help
    thanks
    LOC

3. andyloc

andyloc Member

no-one help? please

4. andyloc

andyloc Member

Wow I thought I would get help here.

Ok thanks anyway

5. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

Use DVD shrink. This will allow u to shrink the DVD file to make room for more DVD's. You can use the software tab from Afterdawn site or click this link http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

And you can use Nero to add a menu. You can add custom pictures in the menu backround, choose the layout and many other things. I use Nero 6.3 and it works fine.

I hope this helps you at least a lil.

6. andyloc

andyloc Member

do you mean after using PowerProducer? because its 2 DivX files I am beginning with and want to goto a normal DVD to play on a standalone DVD player.

What bit of Nero is used for the menu?
    thanks

7. lobworm

lobworm Member

nero 7 premium does pretty much everythin u need, go 2 the photo and video section then choose make your own video all the options are on the right hand side the menus are added and it shrinks it as u go along hope this helps

8. andyloc

andyloc Member

I will have to check as I have Nero 6 OEM that was pre-installed on my PC. It has Nero, express and a few others, I will have to see if it has what you say.

If it does you think it will do what I want then? ie 2 DivX to 1 DVD-R with menu?

cheers

9. andyloc

andyloc Member

I cant find the photo and video section as you describe.

I must not have that bit of the pogram as I say it is OEM version that came with my PC

Anything else I can do/try?

cheers

10. andyloc

andyloc Member

ps. I have another DVD which is 8Gb, and was gonna try and get it on 1 DVD-R, I opened up Nero Recode 2 and tried to shrink it, but all the sliders are at the lowest and it wont let me shrink anymore?

any ideas?

cheers

11. ugc

ugc Regular member

to your original question:

All you have to do with divx files is burn a data disc in nero and just include all your movies.

When you put it in the player, you will get a menu to select the movie you want to watch automatically. (your player does this)

You don't need to use any type of shrink program on a divx or xvid file because they are shrunk already. If you want them smaller, you will have to use a program like autogk, dr. divx or avi.NET.

to your second question. (the 8gb DVD)
    to keep it in DVD form, you decrypt to your hard drive, and use dvd shrink to make it fit on a DVD5. You can shrink the whole dvd, or re author it and just keep the movie.

12. tigrblitz

tigrblitz Member

I use Nero Vision Express and it works great for me. I use it to convert several AVIs (xvid/divx) into DVD format WITH a title menu.

13. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

HEY UGC,
    About your post about divx files and how you can just make a data disk and put a bunch of divx files on it to play. And then you said you can use dvdshrink to fit a movie into nero. My question is when you dont use these two methods and just drag and drop the file into nero and let the file become its normal size to convert into a dvdr, does the movie become better in quality. in other words, if i dont use these two methods compared to if i do, is there a difference in video quality when i watch it on my dvd?

14. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

@ugc
    You assumed that andyloc has a DVD player that supports DivX/Avi format. If he does, the method that you described is absolutely correct. But I wonder, does he....

@mikej3131

If you have a good quality DiVx movie, when you convert it and put it on a dvd, Nero does a pretty good job and, the result is a good quality movie when you watch it on your DVD player.
    Now, is that what you want? Coz I don't really understand what exactely are you talkin about when you say:

What movie do you want to drag? You can not process a DivX movie with Shrink. Can you be more specific about exactely what you want to do? Are you talking about a DVD you want to backup or burn a DiVx onto a DVD?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  15. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Sorry for being so unclear. Actually i had two questions and il try to be more clear.

Question 1)
    I download a movie that was originally a dvdrip and then was converted into xvid format. Once i get the movie i drop it into nero and burn it onto a dvd-r in dvd format(i guess that nero decompresses the file from xvid back to dvd because the movie uses the whole dvd up) Ok now my question is when i burn it to the dvd , does the quality of the video become dvd quality again(which it originaly was). Or does the quality stay the same as the xvid that it was compressed into.

Question 2)
    This question is similar to the first one but not exact. To put it short, When i have a 4 gb movie and use dvdshrink to shrink the file size so i can use less space when burning it. Does the video lose its quality?

16. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Oh yeah i forgot a couple things for question 1

When i use nero, it converts it to dvd and it says the resolution gets better and also the aspect ratio and the FRPS? So i geuss that has something to do with it?

17. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

@mikej3131
    For question 1:
    First you have to understand, once youhave a movie converted to Avi/Xvid/DiVX format, the quality is lower than the original DVD. And you can NOT go back to the original quality. Is not like making a zip archive or something like that, und you just unpack it. Is more like, lets say making orange juice. Once you're done, you have the same nutrients, just in a different way of delivery. You cannot make oranges back from juce.

Yes, all that changes, because now you are making a DVD movie, that will be viewed on a TV screen, which has a much better resolution than your PC.
    For your second question, if the file is only 4Gb, why do you want to shrink it? It will fit with no problems on your DVD.

18. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Ok so there are atleast some advantages when converting a xvid to a dvd-r, like FRPS and resolution? I thought it lookedbetter on my tv because i did a test with wolf creek and when i burned it to vcd it looked a little pixalated in the water scenes and fast moving scenes. then when i burned it to dvd-r it looked better in those fast moving scenes. I guess the difference for this is because nero converted it to be more FRPS(frame rates per second) with the dvd-r than with the vcd. Correct me if im wrong please, but it did look better on dvd-r.

19. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

For my second question, i meant a size or length of a movie that wouldnt fit on my dvd-r. All the movies i burnt no matter what file size they are, none of them will fit if the movie is more than 2 hours long.
    In other words i had a movie that was 799 mb and then a movie that was 2.4 gigs. They both were about 1 hour and 45 minutes. When i put them on nero, they took up the same amount of space.