1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easiest movie joiner?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by wowseruk, Apr 22, 2007.

1. wowseruk

wowseruk Member

What do you recommend as the easiest joiners for AVI, MPG and WMV files - preferably free but I don't mind paying.

I don't really want to get involved in codecs and the like.

Also are there any utlities that list all the attributes of the above formats?

TIA

Tony

2. wowseruk

wowseruk Member

I've tried Mediajoin and whilst it's ok I don't really want to get involved in selecting codecs and so on!

3. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

Well, I'd first be asking what you mean by "joining" .avi, .mpg, .wmv files. Only reason I ask is because if a simple file joiner like Mediajoin isn't meeting your needs then I'm thinking you're wanting to do more than just combine identically encoded files into one file.

If you have 2 or 3 identically encoded .avi files, or .mpg files or any kind of files, then it's no problem at all to combine them into one. It doesn't involve codecs or anything like that. Mediajoin, or tons of other software, should work fine for that.

Freeware like Mediajoin, VobMerger, etc. simply concatenate binary files into one file. They don't analyze or encode anything. No codecs required. You could do the same thing yourself at the DOS prompt with the copy command.

If you have separate audio/video files that are encoded differently, and you want to combine them into one file then that's another story. So, what is it that you're trying to combine?

4. wowseruk

wowseruk Member

5. wowseruk

wowseruk Member

Thanks for the reply!

MediaJoin is giving me four output options (two of which work) AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2 or WMV - I can't get MPEG1 or MPEG2 (see my other post on this board)) when I choose AVI output - before it starts it prompts for the Audio and Video Codecs I want to use! If I choose WMV it prompts for Profile - to which I reply Video for broadband content. In either case I have to make a decision - which I don't want to do - I want to join identically attributed files into one output file with the minimum of fuss.

My Mediajoin doesn't seem to work like that! Perhaps I should try Vpbmerger!

Tony

6. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

If Mediajoin is prompting you for codecs and profiles, then its wanting to re-encode your video. If you are sure that your files are already encoded identically then I would just join them at a DOS prompt.

Start, run, cmd, OK,

(then use the cd command to navigate to your folder)

copy /b 1.mpg + 2.mpg + 3.mpg new.mpg

(then type exit to close the DOS window)

7. wowseruk

wowseruk Member

Thanks for that - I am reasonably certain the test files I'm joining have the same attributes.

Is there a program that will list all the attributes of a media file?

Tony

8. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

You could use Virtualdubmod, File, File Information, to tell you the attributes of each of your video files.

If they aren't encoded identically then you'd have to re-enocde them before joining them.

9. wowseruk

wowseruk Member

Thanks Moonrocks - you are a star!

Tony

10. wowseruk

wowseruk Member

I've tried the ms-dos join on avi, mpg and wmv files.

It works ok on the mpg files but on avi and wmv although the output file is the correct size the runtime is only for the first file!

Tone

11. wowseruk

wowseruk Member

Just joined another mpg and it's the right length if I join 02 + 01 but short if I join 01 + 02!

Tone

12. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

13. wowseruk

wowseruk Member

Can someone verify to me that MediaJoin can combine identical files without recompression!

Tony

14. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

I used MediaJoin 1.0.0 on .mpg's and .jpg's. It's not re-encoding anything, only concatenating the files.

I took two identically encoded .mpg files and joined them with MediaJoin. I also joined the two .mpg's at the Dos prompt. The byte size of the MediaJoin file was identical to the byte size of the Dos joined file.

Looking at both the joined files in Virtualdubmod all the frame statistics, bitrate, etc. match up identically, and they also match the stats of the original files. MediaJoin is performing no encoding, just joining.

I took two .mpg files which were encoded differently from each other, one was PAL, the other NTSC. Mediajoin simply joined them. I also joined the PAL and NTSC .mpgs at the Dos prompt and then compared Mediajoin and Dos joined files in Virtualdubmod. They were identical. MediaJoin did nothing other than combine them.

I took a .jpg file and split it with a file splitter. MediaJoin doesn't claim to be able to join .jpg's, but if it's a simple
    file concatenator it should join anything. It joined the two halfs of my .jpg back together and the .jpg was fine.

I'm not sure why you are getting prompted for profiles and codecs. Maybe you are using a newer version of Mediajoin? No matter what I load up into Mediajoin 1.0.0 it just combines them together without doing anything else. I even joined and .mpg and an .avi file together into 1 file. Of course the file doesn't play, but MediaJoin was happy to put it together without re-encoding anything or prompting me for anything.

I downloaded MediaJoin from here:
    http://camtech2000.net/Pages/Downloads.html

15. wowseruk

wowseruk Member

Wotcher Moonrocks!

TWO DIFFERENT BITS OF SOFTWARE - BOTH CALLED MEDIAJOIN!

The one I've been using was from MystikMedia.....

You really have been a great help.

Tony