1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Echo with tv and surround on

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by td1ddy, Oct 10, 2007.

1. td1ddy

td1ddy Member

Sorry guys, REAL noob when it comes to audio. Anyways, I have a Samsung LNT4042 or maybe... LTN4042....anyways, I turn the internal volume on mute, because when I have it on, and any sort of surround sound or external sound on, it seems to echo, as it is slightly out of sync with the other speakers. Why is this? Anyway to fix it?

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Check four things: a)is the volume of the rear speakers set too loud? (probably not the one though) 2. Make sure your your receiver isn't working on the DLS mode ... like "jazz club" "classical concert hall" etc. 3) Look into your manual for "delay settings", all AVR have them and lastly (4) ...maybe this should be first... a lot of people don't realize that for the surround to work properly, on many if not most systems, the "microprocessors" have to manually activated for it to work properly ... check manual for "microprocessor activation" or "activating microprocessors" or any wording of that sort ... let us know how you make out!

3. JVC

JVC Active member

Hey gerry! :eek:)

When using surround sound, your tv's volume should not be on at all. The tv is used only for video, in a surround setup. Some people try to use the tv's speakers, for their center channel. But, that is a bad thing to do. To start with, it definitely isn't timbre matched with your other speakers. If you don't have a matching center speaker, it's better to use the "phantom center", instead of tv speakers.

Also, you'll never get the volume calibrated right (from tv), with the other speakers. Since I watch regular tv in Pro Logic, my tv's speakers are NEVER used, for anything.

Check the things that gerry suggested.
    If you don't get the echo, with tv speakers muted, then the tv speakers are the problem. If you still get the echo, with the tv speakers muted, then it's probably a setting in your A/V receiver. Possibly on "Stadium" setting, instead of Movie, Jazz Club, Hall, etc.....
    Good luck!

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hi JVC ... I think he meant that he uses the TV speakers OR his AVR and its the AVR setup which echos. One certain shouln't use his TV speakers as a "center" and I've known many who have but if you're saying that one shouldn't use his TV speakers on their own with the AVR not running, I'd really like to know why because I do that just for the sake of not having the AVR running constantly and when sound doesn't matter much ... like watching the news. Is there something wrong with this? if so, I'd like to know because I certainly want my system running in a manner that would effect the quality of the sound.

I haven't gotten around to trying the sites you've suggested but I'm certainly going to look into it! Thanks mefriend!!

(I suspect that the guy who posted the question must have found his answer since we've heard nothing further ... certainly wouldn't be the first time!)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2007
  5. td1ddy

td1ddy Member

I kind of found an answer....I mean, without the tv's speakers on (which normally they arent) there is no echo. Everythings good. So I ended up just leaving them off. Sometimes I didn't want surround on though, because it's so loud, so when I play video games late at night I just want tv sound and it's much easier to turn off receiver than go thru my settings on the tv and turn off mute. Also, my tv has KILLER sound with the original speakers. It's a Samsung LNT4042....and I think it sounds nice, but than again my old tv was a 32inch Sanyo I had for about 8 years. Anyways, I adjusted the delay time, and it fixes it a bit....but not perfect. THAN I adjusted something of the special settings on the tv (turned them off) and it sounds better. I turned off that setting thats supposed to give the effect of surround sound....

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I'm glad you found an answer! That must have been really annoying. I must have understood your original post.

7. JVC

JVC Active member

No, I'm not saying it's bad to run the tv speakers, with A/V receiver off. I just don't do it. If my tv is on, the A/V receiver is on. I watch tv in pro locic, except for the channels I get in 5.1 surround (some Encore movies).

I've known a couple of people that wanted to use their tv speakers, as their center channel. I don't recommend that.

td1ddy...........
    Your receiver probably has a "Midnight Mode", (some call it a Dynamic Range adjustment) Button. That will lighten things up some at night.
    Of course it's alright to leave the receiver off, and listen through tv's speakers. I, personally, prefer not to.