1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edit VOB audio w/out re-encoding entire DVD

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by mrlewp, Jun 13, 2007.

1. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Wanted to do a volume level tweak to one part of a homemade DVD from old video tape.
    1- Copied a single .vob file , renamed vob file as .mpg , then
    opened with Studio 9.
    2- Increased volume level to one segment of the file.
    3- Used "Make Disc" , creating DVD files-compiled from this
    single .vob file only - on hard-drive.
    4- Moved the newly created single .vob file to original DVD's
    video_ts folder , renaming it to replace file used in step 1
    (saving original .vob)
    5- The DVD files would play , but DVDShrink would not accespt the
    new, volume adjusted vob file. ( I use 'Shrink as a proofreader
    of sorts, to let me know if files will be accepted by burning appl.
    6- Ran old DVD files along with new edited .vob thru "VOBBlanker".
    The files output by VobBlanker played , and were suitable for
    DVDShrink.
    Is it really that easy?? I've read a bunch about demuxing and
    muxing, etc. , but always seemed too complicated / time consuming.

2. attar

attar Senior member

This sounds like a good idea and you make a valid point with,

but the $99 (list) for Studio 9 makes the time spent with free-ware less onerous - but it's still interesting.I must look into a free alternative.
    Thank you.

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@mrlewp

I can't wait to try this out! Thanks for posting this.

4. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Wow , might be first time I ever posted anything in years that sparked anyones interest !! ha , sounds sad, eh? I mean that something I had to offer seemed interesting.
    Let me add to it : (risking my new reputation....ha)
    Firstly, I came into Studio 9 on sale...and use it a lot for actual video work, so it's paid off.
    My first inclination, however was to use one of the freebie tools that extracts the audio from a .vob (or .mpg) , then use another priceless (to me) audio app, Audacity , to tinker with the sound file.......then just add it back to the video.
    I'm just not handy with those other audio formats (OGG !!??...erg!)
    mpa , etc.,etc. I was just looking for something I knew my way around with, and hoped that VOBBlanker would come thru for me , and it did!
    Using Audacity for ex., I could EQ it, adjust sound, add effects, and too much to list. Of course with this method, I would have to extract the audio, and add it back to the video.
    Studio does a few audio tricks, but sometimes with unwanted AFTER-effects....and it's limited unless you pay for plugins.

5. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

Interesting steps, but Step 4 is not the proper way of replacing files, as you can see that DVDShrink won't accept the new files. In layman terms, Shrink tries to parse the content in the VOB based on the information parsed from the IFO and finds a mismatch; thus the error. The new VOB file is not the same as the original VOB file if you do a VOB compare at byte level.

The proper way of replacing files is using the Replace function in VobBlanker.

6. attar

attar Senior member

@toaddub
    I tried it both ways and the end result is the same.
    Using the approved 'mrlewp' method I get a warning from VobBlanker that a 'Full Scan Is Required' when the files are imported.
    I do that and the process continues to a successful conclusion.
    The 'Replace' function works without the warning message.

Note I used the demux ac3/convert to wav/adjust wav/export new wav/convert new wav to new ac3/remux method.

7. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

Yes, but you may run into problem when dealing with multi-PGC title using mrlewp's method. I'm not sure how VB will handle that. Well, as long as the 'brute' method works, I guess you're OK but it is not recommended.

8. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

RE: "REPLACE" function - VobBlanker ;
    I wanted to try this function, but V'Blkr. displayed my home video as one big .vob item, instead of the 4 .vobs present in the source folder?? I cant deal with just one .vob separately as I see it, and that's what I was trying to do. I tried the "MENU" and other buttons to see if a breakdown would appear, but no.
    Another glitch;
    Tried same procedure I first posted, twice, only this time with a much larger .vob segment of the movie , ~1G. This time it failed. VobBlanker reported multiple times "No Nav's Found , Outputting Blank Cell". That would explain why I ended up with something that would play, but missing big chunk of video.
    It worked fine with a last .vob file, which was perhaps only 5 mins. worth of video. I really need to be able to work on audio of the main movie files. Any ideas??

9. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

What does VB log say? Where did you use the "Replace" button - PGC level or cell level? Replacing at PGC level lets you choose the IFO file, whereas at cell level lets you choose the VOB file (and only 1 VOB). So use the one at PGC level. Also make sure in the More Settings dialog that ALL "Copy ... from replacing IFO" options are checked under Replacing section.