1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing movies recorded on a standalone DVDrecorder.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dolbeag, Feb 21, 2005.

1. dolbeag

dolbeag Member

I've just got myself a new DVD recorder, a Liteon LVW-5001. Which works pretty well. So I was wondering what is the best/easyest software to use to edit out the ads etc.
    Cheers.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Your LiteOn should be able to do that itself?

3. dolbeag

dolbeag Member

My dvd recorder is a basic model and doesn't have that facility.

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

edit ads?

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah dolbeag wants to remove comercials and crap.. right? well if you recorded in VR mode it is going to very difficult to even read the disk in your DVD ROM. If you can however read the disk in your DVD ROM then there is hope.. VirtualDub is the proggy I use for that function and works very good and best of all it's free!! I'm a cheap bastard what can i say!! LOL

6. waterman1

waterman1 Member

I also recorded some TV shows on a stand alone DVD Recorder, was wondering what I could use to edit out the commercials and re-burn the disc, you mentioned "recorded in VR mode", how else can I burn the discs??? Thanks

7. dolbeag

dolbeag Member

My DVD ROM reads the discs recorded in VR mode with no probs. I've messed about with VirtalDub with avi's but never with DVD's. I'll definatly give it a shot, also do you know of any good guides for VirtualDub?
    Cheers.

8. dolbeag

dolbeag Member

I've been looking about for programs to edit my recorded DVD's without to much joy. looks like I might have to convert to avi before editing out commercials then converting back to DVD does this sound right or is there a quicker/easier way?

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have never done it but am sure you could do it in DVD Shrink by using the "Start an End Frame" option.

Set start of movie then set end before the first commercial then back it up. Keep doing that until you have all the files for the movie. Then you could use reauthor to combine the movies back together without commercials :)

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

found some info!!

[bold]ULEAD PRODUCTS![/bold]

DVD Video Recording (VR) Format

A DVD’s large storage capacity makes it ideal for producing high-quality movies. However, the process of burning a DVD is relatively slow compared to burning a CD. In addition you might not use up the total 4.7GB capacity at one time. So what if you wanted to add more video to that DVD or maybe edit content already on that disc? Normally re-editing your DVD movie is time-consuming because you have to import the video to your computer and go through the burning process again. The DVD Video Recording (VR) format provides a solution to this problem.

What is the DVD VR format?

DVD VR (Video Recording) format basically lets you create a DVD disc that you can re-edit. This saves you time because the edits are made directly to the disc without needing to import the video content back to your computer. You can add additional videos directly to your disc, trim or delete videos on the disc, add chapter points and revise your menus.

How can I use the DVD VR format?

You can capture your own home video with your digital camcorder and use DVD MovieFactory to create a DVD VR formatted disc. So you can capture your baby’s first words, put it on the disc, then months later, capture your baby’s first steps and put that video footage on the same disc, while at the same time re-editing the first video or changing your menu layout and music – with all the editing done directly on the disc, saving you time.

In addition, home DVD player/recorders are now on the market, which use the DVD VR format to let you record and re-record TV programs using the same re-writable disc. You can then use DVD MovieFactory to quickly remove all the commercials or design a nice menu to arrange your shows.

Limitations of the DVD VR format

There are some limitations with the DVD VR format. Firstly there are two different DVD VR formats today: DVD-VR and DVD+VR. Each of these flavors of DVD VR has its own set of limitations in terms of editing and playback compatibility. For example when you delete a video from a disc using the DVD+VR format, you will not necessarily be able to immediately re-use that space, while with DVD-VR you will be able to. On the other hand a DVD-VR formatted disc will only playback on a DVD-VR aware device such as a home DVD Recorder that supports DVD-RW or DVD-RAM. A DVD+VR formatted disc will play on most DVD players. Also DVD-VR uses playlists instead of the navigation menus you are used to seeing on a DVD, while DVD+VR uses regular menus (with a 30MB space limitation for menus, menu video and menu music). Finally, each format is compatible with certain types of DVD media. In general, DVD-VR format is used with DVD-RW and DVD-RAM discs, while DVD+VR should be used with DVD+RW discs. See the chart below for an overview of the different DVD formats and their behaviors.

========================================

[bold]CYBERLINK PowerProducer 2[/bold]

What is DVD VR and What can you do with it?

In short, DVD VR is a format that enables you to produce a DVD movie that can be edited. A DVD produced in VR format will allow you to add new video contents, change menu backgrounds, insert chapters, split video clips and even remove unwanted video segments (as long as you have enough space available on the disc). And as more DVD authoring applications are adopting the new VR standard, like CyberLink's PowerProducer 2, you will be able to easily record, edit, and playback your DVD movie creations.

So now, using products like PowerProducer 2, you can reuse your re-writeable DVDs again and again, and add as much content as you want. You can transfer 30 minutes of your travel video onto a re-writeable DVD, and then a few months later you can add another 10 minutes from your next trip onto the same disc. Plus, if you want to change the selection menu to contain a new background image, music, navigation buttons, etc., it can be done with ease.

Limitations for VR Format

However, VR technology does have some limitations to be aware of. When you delete a video segment from the VR disc, it may appear to be deleted from the DVD, but you cannot instantly add-in new contents in the "deleted" space. In other words, your DVD's available storage space will not increase just because you have deleted some contents from it. To clear more space you need to Defragment your DVD disc, using programs like Power Producer 2, which will help you optimize the available disc space.

Another issue with VR technology to make note of is that there are two different video recording standards available today: DVD-VR and DVD+VR. With a DVD-VR disc, created using a DVD-RW burning device, you can only playback the contents on a DVD-RW compatible device, and not on a standard home DVD player. However, with DVD+VR format the discs created can be played on DVD+RW compatible devices "and" home DVD players.

After reading through this introductory article on DVD video recording technology, we hope that you are now more familiar with the options that are out there for you. Now is a great time to purchase a DVD burner and utilize it as a video recording device. Just keep in mind to use a suitable software application, like PowerProducer 2, so you can fully take advantage of VR technology!

=======================================

[bold]PowerProducer 3 software[/bold]

CyberLink passes world's first PC recording certification for DVD-VR
    Posted by Jan Willem on 31 January 2005 - 19:30

The following text is a complete press release, unmodified by CD Freaks. If you don't want to view these kind of news posting you can disable them in your preferences page once logged in. Please send your press releases to news@cdfreaks.com

CyberLink Corp. a world leader and pioneer in providing integrated solutions for the Digital Home, will now carry the DVD Forum's PC Recording Logo for DVD-VR (Video Recording) on its PowerProducer 3 software. PowerProducer 3 is the world's first DVD authoring software application that is identified with the PC Recording for DVD-VR - a symbol of compatibility for DVD-VR playback and editing.

The PC Recording Logo for DVD-VR that PowerProducer 3 received ensures consumers confidence that rewritable discs that have undergone re-editing or rewriting may be played or re-edited on drives and players certified by the DVD Forum. Users can produce and re-edit their favorite video in DVD-VR format with play lists that contain their favorite scenes recorded from TV content, imported family video from DV, etc. The DVD-VR format may also be applied to DVD-R/RW and DVD RAM discs.

The DVD recording software certification program was initiated by the DVD Forum to verify that rewritable discs may continuously be re-edited and produced according to DVD-VR standards, while being available for playback. This further protects the interests of consumers when using certified software products. The DVD recording software logo bestowed by the DVD Forum today makes CyberLink PowerProducer 3 the world's first and only software product to carry the endorsed logo.

"In addition to our previous world's first, carrying the DVD-Video for PC Authoring logo for PowerProducer, being the world's first software to receive the PC Recording Logo for DVD-VR from DVD Forum is another great honor, for it recognizes that PowerProducer 3 successfully passed each stage of the strict and intricate compliance testing procedures," said Alice H. Chang, CEO of CyberLink. "The aforementioned DVD-Video for PC Authoring logo gives users playback compatibility confidence. With the recently recognized PC Recording Logo for DVD-VR, users are assured that the disc they re-edited can be played on any DVD Forum-certified standalone DVD player. With these two official logos, CyberLink PowerProducer 3 offers a worry-free environment for all PC authoring users."

PowerProducer 3's advanced features include stylish DVD menus, intelligent video and burning technologies, and enhanced authoring tools that make DVD authoring quick and easy. New features in this version include:

Smart Fit Technology automatically provides optimal settings for video quality based on the available disc space and video length
    2nd Generation SVRT (Smart Video Rendering Technology) supports Dolby Digital
    Enhanced animated DVD menu templates with Alpha Blending effects support
    Supports 16x DVD burning and double layer discs
    Includes PowerDirector Express for advanced video editing functions
    Includes PhotoNow!, the one-click photo retouching software
    About the DVD Forum

The DVD Forum (http://www.dvdforum.com/forum.shtml) is an international association for exchanging and disseminating ideas and information about the DVD Format. From this Forum came the DVD FLLC (http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/), which grants rights to use the DVD Format and DVD Logo. Verification and testing procedures are based on the rigorous standards governing the DVD-Video file format, which includes file system format and audio-video format navigation.

About CyberLink Corp.

Founded in 1995, CyberLink Corp. is a world leader and pioneer in providing integrated solutions for the Digital Home. The products are categorized into two major lines: Digital Multimedia Solutions and Training Solutions. Digital Multimedia Solutions includes DVD Burning and Creativity Products focused on media creation by advancing the technologies to capture, edit, author and record all types of media. Digital Entertainment products provide high quality media enjoyment on the PC by perfecting state-of-the-art audio-video technologies. These award-winning software applications are ideal solutions for turning today's mainstream computers into home theaters and digital video centers.

The company's Training Solutions include authoring tools for creating training content and training management systems that offer an easy and cost-effective way to deliver and manage training programs over corporate intranets or the Internet. As a result of the company's solid growth and profitability, CyberLink became a public company in October 2000 and is currently listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange (5203.TW). To keep up with market demands, CyberLink has operations in North America, Europe, and the Asia Pacific region including Japan. CyberLink's worldwide headquarters are located in Taipei. http://www.gocyberlink.com/

11. dolbeag

dolbeag Member

DVD Shrink worked a treat! Such a simple solution, have edited a couple of movies with with great results. I have also discovered from an other afterdawn forum that Nero Vision Express 3 will also do the job. There is a free up grade to Vision Express 3 if you already have Nero 6 (which I have), I have still to try it out though.
    Thanks for your help.

12. robguy

robguy Member

2 other products (not free) that work with frame-accuracy:

VideoRedo (www.videoredo.com)
    Womble MPEG Video Wizard (www.womble.com).