1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing Movies

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by RatM, Apr 1, 2005.

1. RatM

RatM Member

This may be totally the wrong forums too put this in and this may also be illegal, but I will ask anyway.

I am making this website for a softball team. I thought of making a flash intro from a clip of Star Wars. I was wanting too try to edit the very first part of it where the text scrolls down.When the big Star Wars theme starts up and then "Star Wars" pops up with sum what a summary...

Well I was wondering if I could take that part out of the movie and edit it out with my own words. I have tryed using Flash MX, but the quality of the movie is awful. I was wanting too try too keep the same quality and have the them sound in the background, but edit the "Star Wars" text and the text below it. Can anyone tell me if this possible and if so, how can I go about doing this?
    RatM

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

I have done similar effects in Paintshop Pro with Animation shop.
    Make a picture with the full text of the intro on it.
    Cut chunks out of the original, making each one, one line further down than the next, so you end up with about 50 pictures.
    Open animation shop, load all 50 in order.
    Generate the animation, and save it as .avi
    Encode the avi to mpeg-2 if you're going to burn to DVD, and use it as the firstplay item, before the main menu.
    Takes time, but worth the effort.
    There are other, more efficient ways, but the software cost more money too.
    Take a look at Sony Vegas, Pinnacle Studio, et al.

3. RatM

RatM Member

I am sorry, I am kind of lost, rebootjim.

Kind of got lost there. Sorry don't know a whole lot about it all.

How do I cut chunks from the real one? I'n sorry just a bit lost...
    RatM

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You make a picture.
    Start by making it the horizontal size you need (DVD NTSC is 720).
    Make it as long vertically as your text.
    Add the text.
    Cut a piece out of the top, that is 720x480.
    go down one line, cut another 720x480.
    Continue until it's done.
    You don't actually cut the picture, you just take the 720x480 chunk and save it as a separate picture, so you end up with a whole bunch of pictures. Each one will contain the same text as the one above, EXCEPT it will be missing the first line, and will include one new line at the bottom.
    Squeeze each frame at the top, so the text is smaller, thus looking like it's further away.

Open animation shop.
    Start the wizard, load all the pictures, set the background to the same colour as the background picture.
    Set the delay, test the animation.
    It takes some fine tuning to make it look smooth.

5. RatM

RatM Member

Okay I got the text all ready and done, though I don't get why I would make a picture. If I am placing the text where the stars and sky are scrolling... I am sorry, but are we talking about the same thing?

What I am trying too do is make an intro for my website and edit out the movie Star Wars, where the text is scrolling. And have the header Star Wars change too something else and have the paragraphs scrolling down with my text. Then just cut that out of the movie and and put it up for an intro for my site. Are we on the same page?

I was just making sure we were talking about the same thing. I am still not really following you on the first part though. Sorry, feel like an idiot. I probably should understand what your talking about, but I don't.
    RatM

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

A movie, or animation, is nothing but a whole bunch of still pictures, switching from one to the next at a fast enough rate, that your eyes see it as smooth motion.
    Take your pictures, put them into a program that makes animations, and set the speed that the pictures change from one to the next, and voila, you have a movie.

7. RatM

RatM Member

Are there any other ways too do it instead of Paintshop Pro? I don't have that program...

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Take a look at Sony Vegas, Pinnacle Studio, et al.