1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing with subtitles

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by zforum69, Feb 24, 2005.

1. zforum69

zforum69 Member

Does nabody know of a package that can edit with subtitles?

I want to edit a show that I saved from my digital TV set top box. Using projectX I can extract the elematary video, audio and subtitle streams. What I then need to to is to edit out the ads. When I do this the subtitles will get all out of synch as the subtitle time codes have not been adjusted to take care of the removed ads.

What I need is an editing tool that can can also include a subtitle stream. So when I edit out an ad, the subtitles stay in synch, after which I can then author to DVD.

Anybody know of such a beast?

2. Dog_Z123

Dog_Z123 Member

Pinnacle Studio 9 is exactly what you need. It is not expensive (under $100) and easy to use.

3. zforum69

zforum69 Member

Thanks for that I'll try and give it a go when I find some time.

4. zforum69

zforum69 Member

I've just loaded Pinnacle studio and I can't even find anywhere where I can include subtitles, let alone do any clpping and editing with the video streams. Even the help doens't have any reference to subtitles.

Are you sure it's Pinnacle studio?

5. Dog_Z123

Dog_Z123 Member

Here is a tutorial. It is for version 8 and is about 45mb, but if you have broadband it's ok.
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/docsuppo...id=7&product_id=577&product_name=&page_id=546

I use Studio extensively. In a nutshell, you open your source file (avi, mpg etc) and studio breaks it up into clips, you then drag the clips on to your movie in any order you want. You can further split up the source clips as well as trim the clips once you bring them on to the movee. You can then add transitions, and TITLES etc. These titles you can drag over any clip in the movie and enter your text at will over any part of the movie. The duration of the title can be editied as well. Pinnacle is very capable if you just take the time to learn it. What version did you get?? also check the pinnacle web site for program upgrades and patches. Oh and one last thing pinnacle has a discussion forum on their site as well
    http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/?lng=1&Langue_ID=7&loc=lMen1761

Their home page is
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/

This should get you started..

6. zforum69

zforum69 Member

Thanks Dog_Z123 for your clarification.

What you described I belived does not quite meet my requirements. What I wanted was to have a specific subtitle stream so when I burn to DVD I can choose to display it or not. What Studio seems to do is to insert the titles as part of the video stream so I assume it must recode the video stream.

What I want to do is to build a DVD where I can select whether the subtitles are displayed. I have tried a few software titles that can do that but none can incorporate it into their editing desk such that when I cut the ads out, it also adjusts the time codes in the subtitle stream, effectively cutting the ad time out of the subititle stream. I want to do this semalessly during the ad removal process on the editing desk.

Am I correct in assuming that the Studio cannot do what I need?

7. Dog_Z123

Dog_Z123 Member

I'm assuming you want to author a dvd with which you can turn subtitles on and off at will during playback, much like DVD movies you buy. Pinnacle does have some higher end products than studio. They produce products for broadcasting and such. I am not too familiar with them. You might want to look at Adobe Premiere or something similar high end package..

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

9. zforum69

zforum69 Member

I don't think it does what I want. I'm not trying to find a software package that can include subititles, there are several out. These pacakges need to have the video, audio and subtitles prepared before hand.

I guess what I'm really asking for is video editing software that can include a subtitle stream as a spearate stream. My primary requirement (which still cannot met) is to be able to edit out ads of a video stream that includes sub titles. Let me try to explain.

I have a TV show which I recorded on my digital TV set top box. I can demux this program into a video stream (.mpv), audio stream (.mp2), AC-3 audio (.ac3) and subtitle stream (.sub). I can feed the video and audio stream(s) into some video editing software package and then be able to edit out the ads. The software can then spit out a new mpg file that has the TV show without the ads. Various software packages are avaialbe to do the above.

What I want is the sofware package to go one step further to include a subtitle stream, that is, in addition to the video and audio stream(s), the software will also accept a subtitle stream. I then want to be able to edit all streams together, so that when I edit the ads out it keeps the subtitle stream in synch, as well as the audio. When it finally spits out the new edited mpg file, I will also get a new sub title file (.sub) that is in synch.

Well I hope that clarifies things. Now all I can hope for is for somebody out there to point me to the right software package.