1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EDTV Question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ragnarok2, Sep 18, 2005.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes. Don't be worried. Keep the brightness and contrast below max and you will be fine. When you play a game the HUD is only displayed while your playing.

We had Grand Turismo 4 (PS2) on a Pioneer plasma during a game promotion. There was never a sign of burn-in or ghosting. We had a kid that played it all day long, for an entire week-end, with-out a place to sit. We had to tell him to get off the controller and share! Even when the game was idle we didn't have to keep watch and make sure it wasn't going to damage the TV. There is nothing to be worried about. Every game I have seen on any of the newer systems have screen savers or at least refresh animations. I know when I play HALO (xbox) the master chief will move the wepon around for inspection if I stand in one place two long. I know the x-box even has a dim-mode where it goes 1/4 bright when images are left to idle on screen.

Ced

2. TooBokoo

TooBokoo Guest

Yes, most newer games, and newer TV's period for that matter are a little more resistant than old ones. A friend of mine has two projection TV's from about 5 years ago and has played games on them non stop. Even pausing sometimes for a half hour or more at a time. That's a dumb idea. But, even still the TV's have never gotten burn in and work like the did when they were new.

3. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

Well...thats Pioneer...they're like the best manufacturers of like everything. And I got a ps2...which doesnt have a dim mode...I dont know... i have heard mixed stories of burn-in and i guess it happens more on different brands of tvs...but i didnt see any burn-in complaints in the customer review section for the Panasonic...so thats good.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2005
  4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It was on last years Pionner 43" plasma. The Panasonic plasmas are top-notch buget tvs.

5. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

My friends are pushing me to buy HDTV instead of EDTV because they say the standards will switch to HD in 3 years and other tvs wont work. I really like the Panasonic...I dont know should i stick with the Panasonic or buy a Samsung or similar brand HDTV of the same size?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...sem/rpsm/oid/120406/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    This Samsung looks really nice and actually got pretty good review scores, but is it realy HD? Diabolos said something about them accepting 1080i but DOWNCONVERTING to 720p. Is that what this tv does?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
  6. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Actually it'll take 1080i signals and convert them to 480p. Pretty low for a TV accepting HD signals.

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes it does. Except EDTVs downconvert to 480p not 720p. While this seems bad. The 480P image will be the cleanest, sharpest standard def image possible. It will look alot better than what you have now! Although not as good as a tv that can show all the detail (HDTV).

Your friends sound confused. The HDTV standards aren't going to change. All that is going to change is the distribution system. Its going to change from analog to digital between Jan 1, 2007 and Jan 1, 2009 (proposed Analog tv hard cut-off date). All digital tvs (including SDTV and EDTV) will still work fine. Even the old analog tvs will still work if you buy a [bold]digital tuner[/bold] (off-air set-top box) for them, or have Cable or Satellight! All "Big Screen" tvs (tvs 36+") except the "Monitors" made after the first of july 2005, have digital (ATSC/QAM) tuners built-in.

I said it before and I'll keep saying it till you buy somethiing. The Panasonic Plasmas are better than the Samsung Plasmas (EDTV or HDTV respectfully).

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
  8. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

Hehe i found a great site to buy tv's from (Tigerdirect.com) very cheap. And their warehouse is in my city too haha. I found some more tvs that are HDTV and I was wondering if HiSense Brand TV's are any good?
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1384958&Tab=11&NoMapp=0

And the Panasonic is only $1700 there isn't that nucking futs!?

Sorry about all these questions guys but I just can't let myself buy a TV knowing that there might be better deals out there...and Thanks for all the help!

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It looks like your looking for the best price! Hisense is a China based company. I sell thier 20" tvs and havn't heard anything bad about them (yet). I would say its better than the Maxent but I have never seen it in person.

I believe in the phrase, "You get what you pay for" but in this case, the pricing may be strategic from the Heisense point of view. The reason local retailers charge more is because they must make profit. They offer allot of goods and services that depend on the money made on the sales floor. Also they offer warranties and installation teams that garuntee thier work. Internet venders don't (usually).

If your worried about price and are willing to risk having to deal with an internet vender then thats fine but remmeber that thier are things that you can do to increase your tv watching experience. The first is hooking your TV to an HDTV source (either off-air anntena, cable, or satellight). The second is buying a better sound device like an 5.1 audio receiver and speakers or Home Theater In A Box system so you can enjoy the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround that comes with a DTV presentation (mostly HDTV signals). The third is buying quality cables (not meaning the most expensive) to hook everything up. I have had the best experiences with the Acostic Research Pro II cables. Monster is also good (but expensive). You can make those decisions based on your budget. Bottom-line, stay away from the free "In the Box" cables that come with your components.

The questions are why I'm here!
    Ced

10. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

Thanks Ced! i already have Satellite and Sony 5.1 Surround Sound System and I laso have component video Monster Cables. I'd also like to know if the HiSense plasma is true HDTV, that it doesn't downconvert to 480p. If it doesnt and its really HD...then I guess i'll go with the HiSense.

P.S.=The online vendor has the warehouse and a store in my city...I can buy it at their store and return it if its bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2005
  11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Cool. Yea the specs boast HDTV-ready stats. If it is of good quality the picture should be amazing.

To stay technically accurate, I have to say that the Hisense (and all HDTV plasmas, even the high-end ones) will down-convert a 1080i image to 768p (yes 768p not 720p) and will upconvert 720p images to 768p. Its a fixed-pixel limitation. If that last statment confussed you don't worry about it, I'm just overbearing when it comes to small details.

Ced

12. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

Ok nice...well I have regular satellite and if I buy the HiSense HDTV what will it be 768p for me? You mean its always 768p no matter what? That would be amazing. I'd buy it instantly...and its the #1 seller on TigerDirect.com so thats good.

13. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Any HD signal 720p and above will be converted to that. So sometimes its good, 720 to 768, and sometimes its bad, 1080i to 768p. Although I still think that 720p looks better than 1080i, but thats a personal choice I guess.

14. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I agree that 720p is excellent for fast-motion scenes but 1080i is so clean that I fill myself opting for it more than 720p programming (which is mosstly sports).

The worst thing about the down-conversion proccess is that some tvs do it horribly. Most have very cheap (as in the tv is cheap but may be expensive) mathmatic chips. I heard that this Sony [bold]EDTV[/bold] plasma was judged to look better when fed a 480i signal because its chipset is far better than the DVD player in use: http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/sony-pfm42v1.html

Why so? Some of the tvs take 1080i images and slice them in half because they just cant handle the amount of data. So that creates a 540i image. So what you really get is a image unconverted from 540i to 768p. All 1080p quality is just lost. You wind up with an 1080i programming that looks worse than the 720p programming!

------------------------------

Lastly, I've been working on a theory. Since current progressive scan DVD players take 480i images from a DVD and upconvert them to 480p with the new HD-DVD and Blue-Ray formats do the same thing, except take 1080i images and upconvert them to 1080p? To me this is the only way they would maintain campatibility with the older DTVs that can except 1080p through there digital connections (DVI/HDMI). I havn't seen a 1080p tv that can except 1080p through thier HDMI connections. Just a theory.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2005
  15. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

I think I might wait till Christmas to buy a Plasma, because then with all the savings and stuff...I might be able to get a good HDTV instead of an EDTV. My other friend said to buy a TV right after Thanksgiving because thats when technology prices drop. Is that right?

16. diabolos

diabolos Guest

If supply can meet demand. In my opinion, the best time to buy a big screen is during January! The weeks before the "Super Bowl" are the busiest days for Home Theater retailers. Everybody wants a Big Screen to watvh the Big Game! But, ultimately the choice is yours. Whatever you do, do it well before you need it if you plan on getting for the holidays. If everybody buys one, nobodies going to get one (get it)!

Ced

17. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

@diabolos Theres 1080p quality video out now? I always thought that 1080i was the highest it could get?

18. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

hehe and guess what...PS3 supports 1080p...sorry 360 fans

19. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

STFU you're allowed to talk about the PS3 when they actually build one, take your arguments to a discussion forum, we are trying to figure out the best TV for this guy.

20. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

Calm down buddy...

#1.Then why are you saying that 360 will be better than PS3 and even have a link to a site if IT'S NOT BUILT YET!?

#2. I AM the guy we are trying to pick a tv out for.