1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EFM ENCODING

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by dimitrios, Mar 23, 2002.

1. dimitrios

dimitrios Member

To whom it may concern,

I am using the lg ced-8120b cd writer and I would like to know if there is a way to edit my firmware(bios) of my writer to enable the correct efm encoding of regular bit patterns.

ps- perhaps if I edit the executable file of the firmware udate for my writer???

2. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean that your drive doesn't write the correct EFM encoding ???

3. dimitrios

dimitrios Member

YES THAT IS CORRECT. MY CD WRITER LG CED-8120B DOES NOT WRITE THE CORRECT EGM ENCODING.

4. dimitrios

dimitrios Member

EFM ENCODING (CORRECTION)

5. Pio2001

Uh ?!
    Err...

Hmmmm

but

How on earth can you know this ?
    The only way to access EFM data is to plug a digital oscilloscope on the laser's wires and record the signal !

Please, describe exactly what symptoms you are facing, because, yes, the firmware does the EFM encoding, but it's a binary file, and it can't be edited, unless you can read and understand binary for laser chips.

6. dimitrios

dimitrios Member

Thank you for responding. You mention that the EFM encoding, is a binary file, and that it can't be edited, UNLESS you can read and understand binary for laser chips. So is there a way for me to read and understand binary for laser chips?

7. Pio2001

No, only the engeeners at the factory can do it. Because it's the program that pilots the engines moving the optical block and the spinning of the CD.

I still can't figure out how the hell you can say that your burner writes wrong EFM. That's impossible, and if it's true all the same, return the writer to the store and get your money back.

Tell us also what writer is it, so that we don't buy it, and provide some background (including EFM conversion tables) so that someone else can confirm the fact.

Pio2001

Last edited: Mar 30, 2002
  8. dimitrios

dimitrios Member

The cd writer works well but cannot write the efm encoding properly when copying a game that has the latest safedisc protection. In other words, the drive does not write regular bit patterns correctly only with safedisc. How can I change this?

9. Pio2001

Sorry, I was unaware of this issue when I answered first.

Tweaking the firmware by yourself is quite impossible. Even if new firmwares are done by the manufacturer, they likely won't change the problem. Better get another writer.
    Read the reviews of the burners at CDRinfo.com, they test protection copy ability.

I asked a while ago (ater your question) what was "wrong EFM" in the CD Freaks forum : http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47745

91 answers so far ;-), not too bad !

10. expertech

expertech Member

Have you tried with the "Amplify weak sectors off" option in Clone CD? - The LG series of writers can do EFM encoding mostly. So please vary your options and try again.