1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Eject" iPod so it charges and you listen to music at same time, on computer without itunes installed

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by byingst, May 15, 2006.

1. byingst

byingst Member

I basicaly want to do what the title says. I'm at school and my battery drains quickly because I watch movies in study hall. In the next class i can use a computer and I want to charge it, but itunes isn't installed so I can't eject it without it not charging, at least I don't think. And while it's charging I would like to listen to my music. I would plug in my headphones, if the computers had sound cards. Anyway I can't install itunes because school is stupid, but I would like to charge it and listen to it. Is there any way to do it through windows without admin rights?

2. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

3. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

I think you can charge your iPod wihout iTunes. I may be wrong but why don't you just try it?

4. byingst

byingst Member

I can charge it without itunes. But when you connect it and it says "Do Not Disconnect" you can't do anything with it except let it charge. What I'm talking about is in itunes when you click the eject button in the program that will make that screen go away and let you resume listening and charge at the same time. I just want to know if there is a way to do that without itunes. If I remove it from the usb devices thing on the task bar where the clock is, it won't charge. Just to make myself clear, I can charge without itunes, but I can't charge and listen without it, which is what I want to do.

5. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

Now I get what you are saying. I think if you click remove hardware it will not try to sync with the computer, and it may let you listen to your iPod. Not sure though so you may want to try it.

6. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Simple. Just click the Eject button next to the iPod in iTunes Source list. The iPod will unmount—thus allowing you to use its controls—but it will continue charging through the USB connection.

7. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

Bunny_C - that's exactly what I just said

8. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

I'm sorry,
    I posted mine at the same time as you did.I didn't notice that you had posted the same thing.

credit goes to nitreus.

9. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

ACtually I posted mine at 7:04, and you posted yours at 3:52, but no harm done

10. jazo1234

jazo1234 Guest

@nitrous3

You posted at 7:04 and bunny_c posted his at 7:13. ;-)

11. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

My mistake, I must of looked at the wrong post, but let's try to stick to the question and try to help byingst out.

12. jazo1234

jazo1234 Guest

@byingst

You can't do anything with the iPod itself while it is plugged into the computer, unless you eject it using iTunes. If iTunes isn't installed on the computer, then you will have to disconnect the iPod to use it. ;-)

13. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

I'm sorry to say that I've searched a lot and I haven't found any way to charge you're ipod and control it at the same time without using itunes.

I'll inform you if i get any info on this.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2006
  14. bbidonee

bbidonee Member

I noticed the exactly same thing with my pc and ipod and I either can't find a way to charge and listen at the same time except you do 'eject' from itunes.
    But one thing upset is that after ipod is ejected, if I terminate iTunes and after a while try to start it again, it won't come up!! Although iTunes.exe is in the process list of Task manager, I can't end it there... The only way left is to restart...
    Does anybody have this problem and know a solution?
    I use the lastest iTunes, enable ipod as an external disk....

15. finjetsu

finjetsu Regular member

hey i charge my ipod at my college which doesnt have itunes, and u can eject the ipod easily, just go into my computer look for ipod folder, then just right click it and select eject, easy!

16. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

finjetsu, we're talking about charging and listening to an iPod through a computer that doesn't have iTunes.

17. bb_gun

bb_gun Member

poo

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  18. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

I'll clarify finjetsu technique which does work without itunes and allows you to charge and listen to ipod at the same time.

when ipod is inserted go to "my computer"and click once on you're ipod drive then on the left of you're window there's written "eject disk"click on it and it will charge the ipod but let you still have control over it at the same time.

[bold]ALL CREDIT TO finjetsu ALL I DID WAS CLARIFY HIS TECHNIQUE[/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2006
  19. coolchris

coolchris Member

Thanks a lot you guys. It worked prefectly.

20. finjetsu

finjetsu Regular member

thts cool! glad we were able to help!