1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elura 85 Tape or Card?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by budbon, Nov 19, 2010.

1. budbon

budbon Member

I have an older Canon Elura 85, mini DV. I discovered this morning that you could record video on the card rather than the tape. As this really cuts down on the time to capture in my editing program, is there a reason not to video to the card rather than tape?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Do a comparison test on the captured video quality. One with capturing via firewire, and one by copying the files from the card, to the hard drive, then bringing them into whatever video editing program that you use.

Then, make your decision on what route to take.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  3. budbon

budbon Member

Thanks GrandpaBW, I have thought of doing that but was hopeful someone might already have done the testing. I'll start the testing tomarrow. It would be nice to be able to eliminate the capture step.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Well, the best way to find out is to do the leg work yourself and not rely on others to do it for you.

Not everyone has your camcorder. I don't.

And, what anyone else considers which is better, is subjective. You may not see it the same way, so that is why it is better for you to do the comparison test.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010